OT-Flu Shot. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-Flu Shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I got my flu shot a month ago. No flu.
I got my 2nd Covid booster 10 days ago. No covid (since I had it in August).
Now I have a raging headcold with worse symptoms than when I had covid. Covid actually feels different. I had weird symptoms that I don't associate with regular colds. When I came down with this cold I could tell it wasn't covid. I tested anyway to be sure.

Reaction Score
I got the flu shot a few years back and for some reason it made my shoulder numb for a day…which happened to be my shoulders day at the gym. Never again! Lol

Reaction Score
Got the flu shot, and yesterday got my first shingles shot. Feeling a little achy today, but I hear getting shingles is nasty.
You got that right. Whatever you've heard I can assure you it's worse. I had it in 2009 and percoset would barely ease the pain. I also got a high fever and it lasted for weeks.

Reaction Score
My wife and I are sick right now. I’m assuming flu because of the body aches. Night one was particularly bad. All kinds of odd pains and even a slight burning sensation on my back whenever I move around in a chair or while driving. Aside from that, congestion, exhaustion, itchy/sore throat, chills, sweats and now some coughing. I did not get a flu shot.
Feel better soon.

Reaction Score
All fair points.

Since May, I’ve dealt with the widest varieties of illness since I started teaching: two sinus infections, three stomach bugs, covid twice, RSV and a few colds.

Knowing my work environment (not only am I teacher, but I work with mostly with students in the top 1%, so they are not as often taught cleanliness/cleaning rules from home due to a non-parent cleaning up after themselves and more time away from parents) my doc said “your work in a Petri dish”.

After almost never getting sick for ten years, my body is now getting used to the stuff it was so adept to fighting, so I guess I’m taking all these nagging viruses as little thank yous to my immune system to get it back on track. It’s kinda like going back to the gym after not working out for years: you’ll be sore for a while but eventually you’ll be back in shape.

You’re flu shot comment is on point (pun intended): it’s no guarantee, but it’s a free and harmless opportunity to possibly reduce your chances of getting the flu or lower the symptoms you catch it.
Not only are you exposed to your own class, you're exposed to just about every kid in the school system. I taught 6th grade and my kids all had siblings or cousins in high school and the lower grades and other schools in the district.

Once, one of our recalcitrant scholars blew up one of the toilets with an M80 which caused the sewer to back up and we were all walking around in black water for the rest of the day. I told my class - I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what's I'm going to do. Before I enter my house I'm going to take off my shoes and socks and hose them down and throw them into the washer with the rest of my clothes and wash them. None of us got sick, thankfully.

Reaction Score
Not only are you exposed to your own class, you're exposed to just about every kid in the school system. I taught 6th grade and my kids all had siblings or cousins in high school and the lower grades and other schools in the district.

Once, one of our recalcitrant scholars blew up one of the toilets with an M80 which caused the sewer to back up and we were all walking around in black water for the rest of the day. I told my class - I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what's I'm going to do. Before I enter my house I'm going to take off my shoes and socks and hose them down and throw them into the washer with the rest of my clothes and wash them. None of us got sick, thankfully.
That and I teach in four different classrooms, so that further diversifies my petri dish portfolio.

Awesome story.

Somewhat relative:

I'm now on Day 4 of the newest, hottest Covid mutation and my one piece of advice for those who catch it: load up on a bad hangover's worth of Pedialyte.

Not only will it help with hydration during the peaks of the night sweats, but it will also help replenish the electrolytes lost after the explosive diarrhea when you're on the mend.

If you experience the explosive diarrhea, it's not glamorous in the moment, but embrace the Jackson Pollack, it's your body doing its job.

Like a properly guided ayahuasca trip, your body and brain will feel so much clearer within hours after.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You got that right. Whatever you've heard I can assure you it's worse. I had it in 2009 and percoset would barely ease the pain. I also got a high fever and it lasted for weeks.
Not liking the fact that you had shingles but agreeing with what you said. Shingles did a number on my brother.

Reaction Score
Got the flu shot. Got the latest COVID booster a month+ ago.

Went on my first business trip in a while. Week long trip. Masked in the airport and plane (cliched it when, on both flights, I had unmasked people hacking from the moment they stepped foot on the plane).

Found out that one of my colleagues tested positive as I was getting a Lyft home from the airport (I put on my mask just in case). Tested negative when I got home. Next morning felt a cold coming on. Tested just in case and the positive line showed up immediately.

First time with COVID. I was hoping it would just be a cold due to my booster. I did some chores around the outside of the house, then settled down in my quarantine room to watch sports all day. Fever started coming on. Next thing I knew, I have almost a 104 fever and a cough. That escalated quickly! Got Paxlovid (I'm fatter than I should be). Felt 50% better by morning. Now (5 days in) still testing positive, but just feels like the remnants of a cold (post nasal congestion and slight cough).

Long winded post... but this hasn't been pleasant. Thankfully, I work remotely, so it hasn't put me behind too much. I think it is comparable to flu, but the flu sucks and can be dangerous for some. Totally unscientific analysis, but it seems like COVID is making another push and it seems to be hitting a lot of people that never got it before and are still taking precautions. Hoping I'm now invincible (from COVID) for 6 months or so.

Reaction Score
Got the flu shot. Got the latest COVID booster a month+ ago.

Went on my first business trip in a while. Week long trip. Masked in the airport and plane (cliched it when, on both flights, I had unmasked people hacking from the moment they stepped foot on the plane).

Found out that one of my colleagues tested positive as I was getting a Lyft home from the airport (I put on my mask just in case). Tested negative when I got home. Next morning felt a cold coming on. Tested just in case and the positive line showed up immediately.

First time with COVID. I was hoping it would just be a cold due to my booster. I did some chores around the outside of the house, then settled down in my quarantine room to watch sports all day. Fever started coming on. Next thing I knew, I have almost a 104 fever and a cough. That escalated quickly! Got Paxlovid (I'm fatter than I should be). Felt 50% better by morning. Now (5 days in) still testing positive, but just feels like the remnants of a cold (post nasal congestion and slight cough).

Long winded post... but this hasn't been pleasant. Thankfully, I work remotely, so it hasn't put me behind too much. I think it is comparable to flu, but the flu sucks and can be dangerous for some. Totally unscientific analysis, but it seems like COVID is making another push and it seems to be hitting a lot of people that never got it before and are still taking precautions. Hoping I'm now invincible (from COVID) for 6 months or so.
I got Covid in May after my first trade show in 2.5 years.

Anecdotal but interesting breakdown. Everyone I know that got Covid after the show were vaxed/booster but never had Covid. All the folks I know that had Covid prior didn’t get sick…even some that were not vaxxed.

I’ve been to several conferences since and have been fine (Knock wood)

I’m actually glad I got the omicron variant in May. I’ve had hangovers that were way worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom