OT: Best American Tourist Attraction visited | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best American Tourist Attraction visited

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
mount-rushmore-from-the-canadian-side.jpg

Reaction Score
Going to NOLA with my girlfriend this week. Can t miss spots?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think in general, the US does a great job with National Parks and Forests. Can't say I've been to one where I've been disappointed. Too bad the help gets paid squat.

That said, I've had a bit of bad luck in my travels. First time I was headed down to San Diego from SF, a big swath of the PCH was closed due to fires, including Big Sur. I have photos from Hearst Castle taken on a sunny day around noon that look like dusk.

When I finally got around to an AZ/NV/UT trip, it was right after 9/11 and Hoover Dam was essentially in lockdown. Traffic lines were well over a mile long and each car's underside was searched with mirrors and sniffed by dogs. Thankfully the Grand Canyon and Zion weren't issues.

Overall, I think I have to go with the Big Island. Hawai'i in general is just so different from the mainland culturally and geographically that it's pretty close to visiting another country. And while we loved Lanai (driving a Jeep through pineapple fields), Oahu (USS Arizona monument is right there with the Vietnam Veteran's Monument as most sobering and stirring), Maui (got married on a beach, took a ferry from Lanai to Maui with goats and chickens on board, almost third world-ish) but the Big Island packs a whole lot of stuff into a pretty small space - active volcanoes, rain forest, huge cattle ranches, incredible snorkeling... and where else to you get to play golf where the landscape includes lava rock?

Reaction Score
Alas, the crapper at White Lake, NY, memorialized in 'Woodstock' is no longer there.

Reaction Score
A very nice trip that isn't too far away and is very scenic:
There is a roughly 20 mile stretch of road called the colonial Parkway (I believe ) that connects Yorktown to Jamestown going through Williamsburg. The three stops have their own obvious significance and I might add beauty… But the drive itself (in June or July ) is just great

Sidenote, you can actually see much of colonial Williamsburg for free. You just can't go inside some of the homes specifically but the town itself is open to the public

Reaction Score
There is a roughly 20 mile stretch of road called the colonial Parkway (I believe ) that connects Yorktown to Jamestown going through Williamsburg. The three stops have their own obvious significance and I might add beauty… But the drive itself (in June or July ) is just great

Sidenote, you can actually see much of colonial Williamsburg for free. You just can't go inside some of the homes specifically but the town itself is open to the public
Tis a nice ride. Now for the closer do the Chesapeake Bay Bridge back to CT, love seeing my wife cringing for 15 minutes.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Disney World
Grand Canyon
Las Vegas
NYC

some beach, somewhere, Outer Banks, Miami, Cape..............

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Thanks for this. I will soon be in Virginia for a week and this is closer to Virginia Beach than I thought. We'll be doing this for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom