OT - Anyone know punting & recruiting? | The Boneyard

OT - Anyone know punting & recruiting?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
My son is trying out in March at the college he chose. His senior year in high school, he averaged 43.7 yards per punt and a 3.6 hang time. He was actually kicking a traditional/rugby hybrid style (he hated doing it). The current punter on the college team averaged just under 41 yards per punt and I don't know his hang time.

Obviously my son could be told that he made the team or the coach could say they don't need him. What about walking on? Does anyone have any advice or guidance about that option? I was not an athlete and I know nothing about this. I've heard walk ons may not get much respect from the scholarship players. I was also wondering if his numbers sound decent?

If it matters, this is at a junior college.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My son is trying out in March at the college he chose. His senior year in high school, he averaged 43.7 yards per punt and a 3.6 hang time. He was actually kicking a traditional/rugby hybrid style (he hated doing it). The current punter on the college team averaged just under 41 yards per punt and I don't know his hang time.

Obviously my son could be told that he made the team or the coach could say they don't need him. What about walking on? Does anyone have any advice or guidance about that option? I was not an athlete and I know nothing about this. I've heard walk ons may not get much respect from the scholarship players. I was also wondering if his numbers sound decent?

If it matters, this is at a junior college.

Redding, no expert here but a couple of suggestions. First off the top, for goodness sake just holler your question off your back deck or in the front yard. You live in TEXAS! ;)
OK with that out of the way, I would have by now talked to his high school coach for opinions and a highlight video. Has he had contact with the coach of the school he has chosen? Been to any camps? If not it may be an option as they are not only instructional but the evaluation of talent level is part of what they do.

As for respect from fellow players I am sure that depends from team to team. From everything I have learned in the past if you work hard and participate in a lot of the same drills as the rest of the team you are respected. Regardless of position respect has to be earned but most players are knowledgeable enough to know how valuable a kicker is to the success of the team. Hit the information highway...I found this to get you started.
College Prospect Performance Standards - The Kicking Coach - kicking camp, punter, punting lessons, kicking lessons, the kicking coach, special teams, coaching kickers, coaching punters, kicking coach, midwest kicking camps, michigan kicking camp
Good luck, I hope he has an enjoyable college experience in the classroom and on the field!

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Redding, no expert here but a couple of suggestions. First off the top, for goodness sake just holler your question off your back deck or in the front yard. You live in TEXAS! ;)
OK with that out of the way, I would have by now talked to his high school coach for opinions and a highlight video. Has he had contact with the coach of the school he has chosen? Been to any camps? If not it may be an option as they are not only instructional but the evaluation of talent level is part of what they do.

As for respect from fellow players I am sure that depends from team to team. From everything I have learned in the past if you work hard and participate in a lot of the same drills as the rest of the team you are respected. Regardless of position respect has to be earned but most players are knowledgeable enough to know how valuable a kicker is to the success of the team. Hit the information highway...I found this to get you started.
College Prospect Performance Standards - The Kicking Coach - kicking camp, punter, punting lessons, kicking lessons, the kicking coach, special teams, coaching kickers, coaching punters, kicking coach, midwest kicking camps, michigan kicking camp
Good luck, I hope he has an enjoyable college experience in the classroom and on the field!

The coach is asking for a video and a letter from my son. We have those things and a letter of recommendation from his high school coach. He's been to three camps. I think we're in good shape. I just wonder if his kicking is adequate and what to expect if walking on becomes an option.

He's set on going to this JC and then to either Texas A&M or Oklahoma to finish his degree, whether he makes the football team next month or not.

Thanks for your post, including the links.

Reaction Score
Good thing about evaluating Punters, if invited to "try out" for a walk-on spot, there is a pretty easy eye ball test that can happen. Yes everything is different with a snap and a rush (getting the punt off with the stop watch running), but the coaches will at least get a good read on the mechanics and if there is something there to work with. As mentioned above, there are a ton of kicking camps that are regularly visited by college coaches. If a kicker/punter has the chops, they usually will get noticed.

Good luck to him.

Reaction Score
Hard to get a gauge on his hangtime if he was kicking a hybrid rugby style (I don't even know what that would look like).

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Redding Husky: We had a super punter in Justin Wain who graduated. I believe Tarbutt steps in at kicker but punter may be more of an open spot in Storrs. Why not walk on here? Are you a Legacy?
Who knows? I love the roll out aspect with the history of our O line the past few years.
Regardless, best of luck to your son.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
also if you ever wondered what fielding a nfl quality punt might look like take a look at these kicks.... some get lost in the clouds.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
also if you ever wondered what fielding a nfl quality punt might look like take a look at these kicks.... some get lost in the clouds.

And the jugs machine contest that they bring students out at halftime look hard to catch.........

Reaction Score

Jesus -- the sound of the ball leaving their foot echoes through the stadium like a freaking gunshot . . .

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
If you are going to walk on kicker and punter are the spots to do it. You don't have to spend all week getting destroyed in practice.

Destroyed is an apt description for a walk-on. I was a walk-on running back and defensive back at a small college in the 1950's and it was obvious the coach had no intention of ever letting me play my positions, even though I thought I made a decent showing in practices. When he issued me my game jersey it was number 58 and that confirmed my suspicions. I said, "Adios," and was finished with college athletics. (The varsity basketball coach came to me later and asked me to join the team but I had learned my lesson about being a walk-on.)

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Redding Husky: We had a super punter in Justin Wain who graduated. I believe Tarbutt steps in at kicker but punter may be more of an open spot in Storrs. Why not walk on here? Are you a Legacy?
Who knows? I love the roll out aspect with the history of our O line the past few years.
Regardless, best of luck to your son.
I'd love to have him walk on at UConn, but I can't afford the out of state tuition after paying $2,500/month in child support for 14+ years. I'm broke. He's going to a school here in Texas. Maybe if he does well for two years he could transfer and play up north. He likes the meteorology program at Valparaiso.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom