Oscar Night - Will Smith v Chris Rock | The Boneyard

Oscar Night - Will Smith v Chris Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It was comedy but Jada wasn't t too keen on it...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So it is ok to throw punches at comedians now when someone doesn't like the joke?

Also, Will Smith is a total punk. He throws a cheap shot like that because he is embarrassed, and he knows Chris Rock can't do anything about it.

Edit: I just heard his acceptance speech, which is an embarrassment. He wasn't the victim in this situation, and he should not try to rationalize what he did. He should have apologized to everyone involved in King Richard for ruining what should have been a great moment for the whole cast and crew.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
First words in his acceptance speech "Richard Williams was a FIERCE defender of his family."

Looks like the outrage was calculated. He laughed for about a min before going on stage. I don't think he planned on slapping Rock though.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Will an unhinged .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Will overreacted for sure. Not acceptable. Was it in poor taste to make fun of a medical condition of someone in the audience? Yes. But Smith knows Rock and could have handled this much better.

I didn't see the acceptance speech. If he didn't apologize, that's pretty bad.

Reaction Score
I guess it's okay if someone didn't like a joke over the line and walked up and slapped the comic in the face on stage.

Not sure there'd be the same reaction if someone slapped Amy Shumer but....

Reaction Score
1648472951155.png

Reaction Score
Its not OK. Will smith is a puy

He is worried about keeping his wifes name out of chris rocks mouth? He should be more worried about keeping his son's friend out of his wife's mouth.

His defense of his wifes integrity is hilarious considering Will has been sticking it in every thing that moves in Hollywood for years.
Plenty of social media support for him the "standing up for his wife" nonsense. If that was okay, Ricky Gervais would have been fighting off a horde of angry spouses a few years back.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Will Smith slapped Chris rock because:

1) He was embarrassed by Rock's joke,
2) He is 4 inches taller and about 30 pounds heavier than Chris Rock,
3) He is a bigger star than Chris Rock,
4) Chris Rock was standing on stage at the Oscars.

Will Smith knew Rock wouldn't fight back for reasons 2 through 4. Will Smith was just being a bully.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I call bull on that. You are usually the one most invested in defending even the edgiest comedy. And you are here.
I had no idea this was a thing until I saw this thread, then simply wondered what the hubbub was.

Also no clue Jada has alopecia. But there is probably a joke there, Rock simply didn't find it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had no idea this was a thing until I saw this thread, then simply wondered what the hubbub was.

Also no clue Jada has alopecia. But there is probably a joke there, Rock simply didn't find it.
The whole issue is in your wheelhouse more than just about anyone else's.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The whole issue is in your wheelhouse more than just about anyone else's.
The only thing here that's upsetting to me is worrying if Smith's actions means we're at the point where any audience member will now feel entitled to come on stage and physically attack a comedian over a joke, That would be the end of comedy as we know it.

There was a debate over Chappelle's last special as to whether he was "punching down". Because Dave did his jokes in a broader context of the Black experience, I didn't think he was punching down on the transgender community. Rock here, if he did know about Jada's condition, would be punching down. If he didn't know, it's just a joke about a celebrity. But it wasn't a really great joke and didn't really have context, from the little I've paid attention to the clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom