Oregon Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Oregon Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oregon is a decent team and its players are good, but today they looked crisp and well-coached due to bad defense by UConn players. They were often out of position and forgot who they were guarding. It hurt not having a good point guard who can run the offense and set up others. Nika is not that person. Good to see the team persevere and not give up, but this was pretty bad. I was disappointed that Piath and DeBerry couldn't get court time, they must not have had good practices.
So, the defensive effort and lack of understanding of where to be on defense hurt a lot today. Geno? Can't you get them to be in better defensive position? I mean, I understand why the offense isn't productive now, but I'm worried about our defense.

Reaction Score
Even though I was edited earlier for saying far, far less than others have said, I'll put something up anyway. I had hoped to see the same resolve Indiana showed last night when they were down two starters, on the road, against a very vocal crowd. I didn't see it. Not from everyone. And it has to be from everyone for it to make a difference when the injured get back. A freshman who doesn't give up on trying to score when her shot isn't falling is good to see. A senior, who can shoot, but doesn't seem to want to, is not good. But I am pleasantly surprised at the physicality Olivia showed and did it all game. Good for her. But in this case, two out of three IS bad.

Reaction Score
Time to stop drinking the kool-aid.

Long-time fan, love Storrs, love Geno, love the players – but they ain’t who we thought they were.

Yes they play at Storrs, yes they wear a UConn uniform, yes they’ve had injuries, yes they had a long plane ride – but they are not the Huskies I know from the past decades.

The Huskie culture of play just isn’t evident – defense, mobility, perimeter shooting, minimal fouls, free throws, offense. More telltale is the absence of discipline, this year’s team seems to lack confidence and when the get behind they lose composure and fall apart ending up being thumped rather than a well-played defeat.

Sure things could “turn-around” when all the injuries heal – maybe – but there is a lot of “not very good” out there to change.

Sad to say I’m worrying they won’t get a top 16 seed home game for rounds 1 & 2 in the Tournament and have to play away.

Wish it was better, skeptical it is.
Agree with you completely, especially "there is a lot of not very good out there to change."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ducharme is gaining valuable experience and she plays hard and aggressively. However, in this stage of her development, UConn is in trouble relying on her to shoot 20+ times. You can see that she will continue to improve, but I cringe when I watch her rush 3-pt attempts time and time again. She will get better and learn not to force every play.

With the team around her I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with Ducharme taking 20 shots. Who else is supposed to shoot with Williams, Fudd, and Bueckers out? In spite of her missed threes she was still 47% overall. That's much better than, say, Caitlin Clark, either of SC's guards, and equal to Louisville's best player Kianna Smith. That was the best thing to come out of the game, another example of why Ducharme is going to be great. Nelson-Ododa was terrific too considering she was all on her own inside. Had she played like that in the tourney last year UConn probably would've won the title.

Reaction Score
Completely embarrassing. Liv did well, Caroline trying to do too much.
Perhaps CD noticed that no one other than Liv was stepping up and looking to score. She had 40% of the team’s points. If she didn’t keep firing away this team would not have gotten out of the 40’s. Agree with others who have said that her play has been the high point of the season so far.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Translation.

I can't figure out what my player's see when they make weird TO's and don't cut or screen etc.

I am amazed our defense is as good as it is sometimes.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Olivia is the one player whose improvement from last year really stands out. She's calmer, playing with poise and confidence, and is more patient. Her shooting has improved too. Very proud of her.
Not tonight. I have never seen Liv so emotional, in a good way. She also showed her displeasure at times. Outstanding game all around today!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not much to say. I Couldn’t even watch the second half.
Injuries/Cv suck but I think the team’s problems are deeper.

The possibility of not even getting a top 4 seed/host is on the table.

:(
I agree they missed CW and Paiges. AZZI is a Question mark, Maybe?, Aubrey, another Maybe this one isn't a great scorer so on rebounding, ONO was pretty good. Uconn needs consistent scoring. That's been their big issue for 3 years. A big post helps, but right now ONO is it. Dorka was supposed to be a good to better post, a 3 point threat, a scorer??? What happened? Showing up against Butler and Xavier isn't playing great against Oregon. We, fans often forget the quality of the opponents and think we have arrived. Oregon was a wake up call.
When Paige returns (If 100 percent) will be the difference maker. She carried Uconn on her thin shoulders last year, with minimal help. Uconn NEEDS people that can score all the time (80 percent of the time).
Here’s the thing. Paige makes everyone better. The threat of Paige attacking the basket gives Caroline a little more time to set herself and knock down some of the 3’s she missed tonight. Rather than working her ass off to get position in the low post without getting the ball or getting a bad entry pass late, Liv gets the ball on time and in the right spot every time from Paige. Evina’s game is day and night playing with and without Paige. You just can’t make up for the loss of your NPOY, let along Christyn, Azzi & Aubrey.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This game was over in the 3rd quarter
No minutes for Amari?
No minutes for Piath ?
Why doesn’t a “reporter”(?) at the post game presser find out why the hell not?
No glib BS answers.
No avoidance.
Just answer the GD question.
Because you and many here can't handle the truth?
Truth: They are not good enough to be out there!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lots of adversity. This game was a gut check. I want to look at the positives.

Liv showed up -- big time. I was really impressed.

CD is a gamer. Her emergence has been the highlight of the season

Nika, love her energy and effort, but she neeeds to give more than 3 points, 2 assists and 4 TO's on offense

Dorka played hard but really struggled on D

AE is my favorite player, but it is remarkable how her play has dropped off this year

Evina, in my mind the biggest disappointment. Since UCLA has disappeared. When we are back at full strength, can't see her getting much PT.
OK - very tough game on the road against a good team shorthanded. UConn kept at it until the end, cutting a likely 20 pt. loss down to a 13 pt. defeat. I agree with much that has been posted, but here are a few other thoughts.

Liv was a real gamer - shot well and led the team in rebounds and assists. But she could have had an even better game, as a number of passes bounced off her hands or were knocked away.

Caroline was the leading scorer, which is deceptive. She had a poor outside shooting game. She was 1-8 from 3pt. range. UConn, as a team, shot 3-18 from three. Yeah, Geno misses Paige, but Azzi could have really helped. The 3-pt. scoring differential was -18 for UConn.

With Geno only playing 6, Nika and Aaliyah can't go scoreless until the late in the 4th Q.

Reaction Score
Worst game I ever saw Uconn play on the most difficult court to watch a game. I have attempted to watch Oregon on other occasions. I can't watch another game on that awfully painted court. How bad UConn was, was the second worst thing about watching that game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Moral Victory--you bet! down by 15 at the end of the 1st Qtr, lost by 13, that means Uconn played them near even for 3, while short handed. That's better than moral, it . I too was not surprised by the loss. Frankly, they did well.
I'll probably get a timeout for this, but I keep seeing this narrative popping up in this thread. Simply not true. UConn started out 10-0 in a bit less than 3 minutes, finished the game 7-0 in 1:24. That means they were outscored by 30 for about 35 minutes of game time. There was no "1 bad quarter." They were dominated except a short burst at the beginning and end.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here’s the thing. Paige makes everyone better. The threat of Paige attacking the basket gives Caroline a little more time to set herself and knock down some of the 3’s she missed tonight. Rather than working her ass off to get position in the low post without getting the ball or getting a bad entry pass late, Liv gets the ball on time and in the right spot every time from Paige. Evina’s game is day and night playing with and without Paige. You just can’t make up for the loss of your NPOY, let along Christyn, Azzi & Aubrey.
Personally. I would have Paige coaching. (Semi-serious) She could probably get into their heads better.

Reaction Score
I actually thought UConn play alright for the team we were able to put out on the floor. Oregon just had better talent on the floor than UConn. I can’t fault the effort, and the kids did their best, so no reason for the kids to hang their heads. I’m the coaching staff will review the game film and come up with stuff to work on in practice.

Reaction Score
Worst game I ever saw Uconn play on the most difficult court to watch a game. I have attempted to watch Oregon on other occasions. I can't watch another game on that awfully painted court. How bad UConn was, was the second worst thing about watching that game.
Agreed on the court.

The ivory Latta game against UNC (06?) was also awful.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'll probably get a timeout for this, but I keep seeing this narrative popping up in this thread. Simply not true. UConn started out 10-0 in a bit less than 3 minutes, finished the game 7-0 in 1:24. That means they were outscored by 30 for about 35 minutes of game time. There was no "1 bad quarter." They were dominated except a short burst at the beginning and end.
Give it a rest already. Why does this matter so much to you? Enjoy the win.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Because you and many here are can't handle the truth?
Truth: They are not good enough to be out there!
Hmm. Piath at least seemed to deserve some court time in the 4th Q.

Reaction Score
What team on the planet can you remove their best THREE offensive guards (Ducharme is not a guard to me) and they still beat an Oregon team at full strength? I think folks are being a bit harsh. And if there's one thing we learned this season is that...Evina is not a natural point guard. Once CW was scratched...I had zero expectations of winning this game on the road. Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom