Options available for the PAC-12 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Options available for the PAC-12

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

That would be like multi-dimensional chess to drop UCLA and snag Stanford. As the other post showed, USC is valued aproximately 3x that of UCLA. Is getting the major share of LA plus part of San Fran more valuable than getting a near stranglehold on just LA? Enquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score

That's exactly what will happen. The easier thing for B1G to do is just grab Stanford and Cal now to get ahold of CA. It will allow 4 CA schools to keep their rivalries and have travel partners. In addition, it will give B1G 2 AAU schools with supreme academic credentials.

Reaction Score
How long do you think travel took in the days of bus & train before the airplane era?
For a soccer game? Probably about an hour.

California schools to the B1G is just plain stupid.

Reaction Score
For a soccer game? Probably about an hour.

California schools to the B1G is just plain stupid.
Nope. Not an hour. Did they even play soccer 50-100 years ago.

I’m not saying that CA schools to the B1G isn’t stupid. I’m saying that 6, or 8, or even 10 hour road trips were not uncommon in the days if buses and trains.

The Yankee Conference was formed 75 years ago in the days before interstates. How long do you think a road trip from Storrs to Orono, ME took? Or from South Kingstown, RI to Burlington, VT?

A friend of mine grew up in South Dakota. Travel to high school games took hours and hours. Midwest states are geographically much larger than New England states. B1G schools always had enormous travel distances. Eastern schools hated to play Penn State even after plane travel because it is so remote and had no airport.

There are lots of good reasons to oppose USC and UCLA moving to the B1G, but the travel time issue is exaggerated.

Reaction Score

I’m not saying that CA schools to the B1G isn’t stupid. I’m saying that 6, or 8, or even 10 hour road trips were not uncommon in the days if buses and trains.

The Yankee Conference was formed 75 years ago in the days before interstates. How long do you think a road trip from Storrs to Orono, ME took? Or from South Kingstown, RI to Burlington, VT?

A friend of mine grew up in South Dakota. Travel to high school games took hours and hours. Midwest states are geographically much larger than New England states. B1G schools always had enormous travel distances. Eastern schools hated to play Penn State even after plane travel because it is so remote and had no airport.

There are lots of good reasons to oppose USC and UCLA moving to the B1G, but the travel time issue is exaggerated.
I don't know what the landscape looked like 50-100 years ago. I'll bet sports like soccer, baseball, field hockey, etc played mostly local games with whatever schools were closest to them. Then when conferences started forming they were probably local too. 3 or 4 hour flights crossing multiple time zones is a lot different than a 3 or 4 hour bus ride.

Chances are a kid from New England has friends and family spread around New England. They'll go check out the regional games because those are short drives. Friends and family aren't hopping on a plane to go see you play across the country.

If I were a kid in California playing a regular sport, I really don't think I would want to go to USC to play all my away games in the mid-west/east coast. That would really suck.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's exactly what will happen. The easier thing for B1G to do is just grab Stanford and Cal now to get ahold of CA. It will allow 4 CA schools to keep their rivalries and have travel partners. In addition, it will give B1G 2 AAU schools with supreme academic credentials.
Isn’t the travel partner concept really for the other teams and not for the California schools? I always thought it just meant that you can go out to California and get to away games off of one flight.

Reaction Score

Purdue University has its own on campus airport. Charters in and out

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Purdue University has its own on campus airport. Charters in and out

Michigan is very close to Willow Run Airport. This airport is where many corporate planes use. UM uses this airport for all of its charters. No airlines fly there, only corporate and cargo.

Reaction Score
Isn’t the travel partner concept really for the other teams and not for the California schools? I always thought it just meant that you can go out to California and get to away games off of one flight.
B1G schools can go to LA and play both LA schools, and then travel up to the Bay Area to play both Bay Area schools. They can also split CA into 2 separate trips. Either way, B1G can get into the CA market with 4 CA schools. With this move, B1G essentially killed the PAC-12 as well.

Reaction Score

In the Midwest, south and out west a four hour road trip is a short road trip. People’s expectations in time and distance are totally different. Quick trip from Manhattan to Waco? No problem.

Reaction Score

-> Thompson takes into account market size, TV households, football brand, winning percentage, Olympic sports, fan support, and MBB impact to assign each school a point value. <-

1661474683914.png

-> The figures above are estimated “Year No. 1” numbers based on a five-year media rights contract with an average annual payout of $350 million. It includes an industry-standard four-percent annual increase and assumes the conference will be able to monetize the Pac-12 Networks.

The average payout in the first year: $32.4 million per school.

Can any of us really blame USC and UCLA for chasing what we now know will be a $72 million-a-year media rights payout in the Big Ten? <-

Reaction Score

-> Thompson takes into account market size, TV households, football brand, winning percentage, Olympic sports, fan support, and MBB impact to assign each school a point value. <-

View attachment 78600

-> The figures above are estimated “Year No. 1” numbers based on a five-year media rights contract with an average annual payout of $350 million. It includes an industry-standard four-percent annual increase and assumes the conference will be able to monetize the Pac-12 Networks.

Can any of us really blame USC and UCLA for chasing what we now know will be a $72 million-a-year media rights payout in the Big Ten? <-
Yes we can. It’s a complete disservice to those student-athletes who are actually trying to get an education.

Reaction Score

View attachment 78600

Our DMA is about 1.35M Households which would place us in the top 25 in the US. In our DMA there is only one school, UConn, and there are no professional teams in the footprint. The dma’s above are across multiple schools and there is pro sports in the footprint.

Reaction Score
If ND stays independent, the Pac-12 has the upper leg over the Big 12. Go for the kill shot and add Kansas and Texas Tech.
It depends on the B1G
If 2-4 more teams from that conference are added than the PAC is toast .
They might call it a merger but the B12 will have the upper hand .
Washington State , and Oregon state might not make the cut .
They probably end up in the MW
Colorado. Utah , and the AZ schools
Could all fit into the BiG 12
That would be the best basketball conference by far and with a couple of tweeks to the tourney could be a money making machine. 10-12 qualifiers yearly.
The B1G is determining what happens to college football. Unless the SEC gets bold by adding Kansas , ASU or the ACC GOR gets overturned . They’re boxed in
I thought they blew it as the best add was Texas and Ok . But that was a wake-up call
Unfortunately expansion is what they have to do to survive.

Reaction Score
-> The University of California Board of Regents during its September 22 meeting will discuss the agenda item “UCLA Big Ten Membership – Potential Legal Issues and Financial Impacts,” the Mercury News’ Wilner reports, noting there are several potential outcomes: “With power of the purse, the Regents could insist UCLA use its revenue distributions from the Big Ten to reimburse Cal for any losses incurred.” Additionally, the board could overturn UCLA’s move unless accommodations are also made for Cal to join the Big Ten. Or, “after a stretch of blustering, allow the Bruins to proceed as planned (link) <-

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Great idea…if it includes UConn…
I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not. However, I thought it was hilarious how much Cunningham sounded like a Boneyarder spitballing. He doesn’t seem to know any more than any of us do. Maybe less.

Reaction Score
I think it's a darn shame the PAC 12 can't hold it together. On the one hand, it's California. The state has more going for it than any other state. On the other hand, it's California, one of the most effed up states. Cali schools should not be selling their souls to join a Michigan/Ohio based conference. The rust belt is dead. The PAC 12 should be the golden ticket of all golden tickets. Cali and Texas. Letting themselves become ballast. That's a shame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom