OT: - Operation 351 Begins the Ninth Season | The Boneyard

OT: Operation 351 Begins the Ninth Season

Reaction Score
Here is my annual post about my mission to visit every D1 campus and see a basketball game. This will be my ninth season. I am currently at 118 games being forced to drop down one from 119 teams when Hartford dropped to D3 last year. I heard that the University of Western Georgia will be added bringing the total number of D1 clubs to 361. I average about 14 games a year.

My goals for the upcoming season (although these annual goals never come to fruition):
  • I have four UConn Big East opponents that I have yet to visit: Marquette, Creighton, Xavier and Butler. I hope to pair two other teams in the surrounding area playing in the same time frame with any of these clubs.
  • I need to visit Duquesne and St. Francis PA to complete all the schools in Pennsylvania.
  • I need to visit Morgan State and Towson to complete all the schools in Maryland.
  • I only have four schools west of the Mississippi River. I hope to increase that number this year.
I take my wife on one trip a year. She is not a big college basketball fan but she is a trooper and will accompany me to the games. We actually did 3 games in two days last season in Florida. We hope to visit Charleston this year.

You can follow my travels at my blog: www.journeyto351.com.

So has been the tradition every year with this annual post, I quote Fishy who said this about my quest from the first season:

“You have no chance of doing it. But beyond that, you don’t want to. At some point, you’ll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then, you’ll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas, and drown yourself in the toilet.”

Go UCONN!

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
I think we're still at 362 GH because of TX A&M-Commerce and Southern Indiana being added last year. Hadn't heard about Western Georgia but had heard the University of Indianapolis was considering the jump in the future too.

I'm currently scheduled to cross the 200 mark during my trip to Kansas for the UConn game in December though I hope to find a few games during November that might move that earlier. I hate hitting milestones in non-descript venues though so will have to take that into account.

Reaction Score
Whenever you decide to do New Mexico State. Shoot me a DM and I’ll let you know where to eat, stay, and things to do in the area.

Reaction Score
I think we're still at 362 GH because of TX A&M-Commerce and Southern Indiana being added last year. Hadn't heard about Western Georgia but had heard the University of Indianapolis was considering the jump in the future too.

I'm currently scheduled to cross the 200 mark during my trip to Kansas for the UConn game in December though I hope to find a few games during November that might move that earlier. I hate hitting milestones in non-descript venues though so will have to take that into account.
Congrats on passing the 200 mark! It is tough hitting a moving target when they keep adding clubs every year.

Reaction Score

Here is the Western Gerogia news item:

Reaction Score
Here is my annual post about my mission to visit every D1 campus and see a basketball game. This will be my ninth season. I am currently at 118 games being forced to drop down one from 119 teams when Hartford dropped to D3 last year. I heard that the University of Western Georgia will be added bringing the total number of D1 clubs to 361. I average about 14 games a year.

My goals for the upcoming season (although these annual goals never come to fruition):
  • I have four UConn Big East opponents that I have yet to visit: Marquette, Creighton, Xavier and Butler. I hope to pair two other teams in the surrounding area playing in the same time frame with any of these clubs.
  • I need to visit Duquesne and St. Francis PA to complete all the schools in Pennsylvania.
  • I need to visit Morgan State and Towson to complete all the schools in Maryland.
  • I only have four schools west of the Mississippi River. I hope to increase that number this year.
I take my wife on one trip a year. She is not a big college basketball fan but she is a trooper and will accompany me to the games. We actually did 3 games in two days last season in Florida. We hope to visit Charleston this year.

So has been the tradition every year with this annual post, I quote Fishy who said this about my quest from the first season:

“You have no chance of doing it. But beyond that, you don’t want to. At some point, you’ll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then, you’ll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas, and drown yourself in the toilet.”

Go UCONN!
I say this every year, but @Greathusky is a major inspiration for me starting Stretching the Floor and just getting to local D1 games, in general.

Duquesne should be very good this year. Arguably their best season in years.

Baltimore is a lovely city. I was there for an education conference in December 2021. I thought about driving to George Mason (needed a car) and unfortunately, none of the Baltimore area teams were playing any of the evenings I'm free. Thames Street Oyster House is a must eat!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
In a few years, I might try to tag along on a trip

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Go UCONN!

I love your posts on Operation 351, not just because it's a cool journey, but also because it always prompts a reference to Fishy's 2nd-best post.

Reaction Score
I love your posts on Operation 351, not just because it's a cool journey, but also because it always prompts a reference to Fishy's 2nd-best post.
Which post was #1?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I would switch #1 and #2. Both great though Fishy's most infamous post is related to this thread IMO.

I's a personal opinion. The "Cow Dick" post is a phenomenal piece of writing. But the image created by his post in the Dre thread had me literally cackling at my desk.

BTW, Fishy's worst post -- an absolute dud -- was in the pizza thread, where he suggested that any random New York pizza is better than Wooster Street pizza.

Reaction Score
I's a personal opinion. The "Cow Dick" post is a phenomenal piece of writing. But the image created by his post in the Dre thread had me literally cackling at my desk.

BTW, Fishy's worst post -- an absolute dud -- was in the pizza thread, where he suggested that any random New York pizza is better than Wooster Street pizza.
2nd worst might be his doubling and tripling down on his assertion that Sanogo should never attempt a 3 point shot. Even as he was shooting over 45% during the first few games of the season. My kids call that a freezing cold take. :) Karaban had it right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom