One area I hope to see improvement next season is on the defensive end | The Boneyard

One area I hope to see improvement next season is on the defensive end

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One area I hope to see improvement next season is on the defensive end. This season's team gave up 58.4 ppg which, by UConn's standards, is not very good. We don't need stats to tell us this year's team wasn't great defensively; we watched it. In defense of the team's defense, the player rotation was short and pressure defense was sacrificed in order to save energy and legs.

While UConn has been known as more of an offensive team, the reality is that many of the program's championship teams were outstanding defensively. @MilfordHusky knows this better than most, but I think the best UConn defense may have been in 2009-2010 when Maya was a junior, Tina was a senior and Tiff Hayes a sophomore. That team's defense was stifling. The defense during Stewie's 4 years was terrific as well.

I don't know that we'll have the post presence to match the defense of the Stewie and Maya/Tina years, but with a full roster we should improve on this season's performance. BTW, Paige is a very underrated defender. Her long arms produce a lot of steals and deflections.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One area I hope to see improvement next season is on the defensive end. This season's team gave up 58.4 ppg which, by UConn's standards, is not very good. We don't need stats to tell us this year's team wasn't great defensively; we watched it. In defense of the team's defense, the player rotation was short and pressure defense was sacrificed in order to save energy and legs.

While UConn has been known as more of an offensive team, the reality is that many of the program's championship teams were outstanding defensively. @MilfordHusky knows this better than most, but I think the best UConn defense may have been in 2009-2010 when Maya was a junior, Tina was a senior and Tiff Hayes a sophomore. That team's defense was stifling. The defense during Stewie's 4 years was terrific as well.

I don't know that we'll have the post presence to match the defense of the Stewie and Maya/Tina years, but with a full roster we should improve on this season's performance. BTW, Paige is a very underrated defender. Her long arms produce a lot of steals and deflections.

I recall an interview with Kalana Greene in which she said that the team took defense personally and begrudged giving up any points. A look at the NCAA record book confirms what Cat says:

Lowest Scoring Average Per Game Allowed
46.2—UConn, 2010 (1,801 points in 39 games)

Lowest Field-Goal Percentage Allowed
30.0%—UConn, 2010 (685 of 2,284)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

It’s hard to play smothering defense with a (very) short bench, especially against so many good teams.

Teams with the highest FG%

ND 56.1%
Texas 51.3%
Maryland 42.3%
Iowa 41.8%
DePaul 40.6%

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It’s hard to play smothering defense with a (very) short bench, especially against so many good teams.
Yep, that's what I was going to say. The players couldn't play their marks too tightly for fear of running up fouls, and they couldn't expend too much energy. How many UConn teams have pressed as little as this one? The last couple of years, Nika was on the point guard full court almost all the time she was in. Couldn't do that playing 35 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
It's hard to tell precisely how much the short bench affected this, but I think it was a big factor for several reasons. First is just the fatigue factor. It is hard to play tough defense when you are tired and many of our players had games where they played considerably more minutes than optimal. Related to that is fear of fouling. If you are a bench player you can be more aggressive. When you are moved to a starting position and have to play excessive minutes because there are no reliable subs, you have to play conservatively making sure you don't foul out.

Heading into the season before Paige's injury, we might have had Paige, Azzi, and Caroline as likely starters. Nika, Lou and Aubrey figured to be very very good substitutes. Then we wound up with all three likely subs starting for major stretches, playing very heavy minutes without much backup help. that makes a big big difference.

For the same reasons we couldn't press. Our numbers for steals were not very good and at least by Uconn standards blocks as well. With a deep bench we can press if Geno chooses to, will not have to play fatigued, and can be more aggressive because fouling out won't have the same downside.

Reaction Score
This thread is about defense so I would like to remind people that as long as Nika is at UConn and healthy and Geno is the coach she will start. She plays smothering defense and is the teams all time assist leader. Her minutes will like be lower next year with hopefully a much longer bench. If all are healthy I would assume Nike, Paige, Azzi, and Edwards will be the starters with Caroline starting when using a 4 guard set. If starting a taller lineup we shall see if Jana, Ice, Amari, Ayanna, or Aubrey (if she returns) takes that 5th spot. The ability to run Ines, KK, Ashlyn, in as guard replacements should go a long way towards helping that suffocating defense we all hope for.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Same issue that Stanford had and both got exposed for it this tourney
Iowa is not a very athletic team, and they are going to the Final Four. If anything is missing it is toughness. A number of posters so often comment on how nice and sweet the players are. Teams today have rough and tough players today. As far as the defense of the Maya teams, there are more really good players today than there was then. I believe that with the offensive talent UConn has, if they hold teams to less than 60 points, that is good defense, especially with the number of accurate three-point shooters as there are in the game today. Indiana was not a very athletic team, but they had accurate shooters. Next season UConn will be a little more athletic with KK, Quadence, Shade, and Paige. With no injuries and no unforeseen internal problems, UConn may have an outstanding team, one that will make it to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Yea, unless UConn gets an impact transfer at the 4 or 5 spot, the starters, barring injuries of course, will be Muhl, Fudd, Bueckers, Griffin, and Edwards, with Ducharme and the freshmen coming off the bench

Reaction Score
It's going to be fascinating to see who gets minutes next season, especially if everybody can remain healthy........Aaliyah, Paige and Azzi are for sure starters...........it's the other two spots that are up for grabs.......I think Aaliyah needs help in the post so I would suspect that either Ice or Jana get serious consideration for one of those two spots while the other will be a competition between Caroline and Aubrey........I haven't done an in depth look but if I'm not mistaken a number of Big East teams are going to take a roster hit from graduation so the conference schedule should be somewhat less competitive next season (baring transfers) which will be helpful to the freshman who may see more playing time than first thought......

Reaction Score
Going to need some stronger, faster scrappy players to advance in the Tourney next year. Winning the BE is not the issue. The physicality of the top teams gives us trouble. Paige was knocked to the court often last year at the end when she came back. Unfortunately AG had her back act up in the Tourney. This hurt us badly. We lost the game not being able to beat OSU's press which gave them confidence and then we gave up offensive rebounds because they were all quicker and tougher. We are a fragile team physically even though all the players gave everything they had all season.

Reaction Score
It's going to be fascinating to see who gets minutes next season, especially if everybody can remain healthy........Aaliyah, Paige and Azzi are for sure starters...........it's the other two spots that are up for grabs.......I think Aaliyah needs help in the post so I would suspect that either Ice or Jana get serious consideration for one of those two spots while the other will be a competition between Caroline and Aubrey........I haven't done an in depth look but if I'm not mistaken a number of Big East teams are going to take a roster hit from graduation so the conference schedule should be somewhat less competitive next season (baring transfers) which will be helpful to the freshman who may see more playing time than first thought......
I can’t see Geno benching Muhl. She definitely won’t get as many minutes but I think she’ll still start

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maggie Vanoni wrote the article. MA Voepel writes for ESPN. MA no longer uses the name Mechelle, he is now MA

Reaction Score
I can’t see Geno benching Muhl. She definitely won’t get as many minutes but I think she’ll still start
Very possible but why play with two point guards at one time? If Aubrey starts she gets the toughest defensive assignment leaving Nika to spark the team off of the bench..........can you imagine how aggressive she can be knowing she doesn't need to play the entire game? A second backcourt of Nika and KK would be awfully fun to watch.......

Reaction Score
If healthy, Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are the only certain starters. IMO. Nika if Paige is not the PG, but I think Geno will make Paige the PG (given Nika’s recent comments, that Paige will beat her assist record next year, Nika probably thinks that, too). A lot of time between now and then, so who knows.

Reaction Score
I would be against that--Aubrey is too inconsistent and has a tendency to disappear during games. During those games, it's like UConn's playing 4 on 5. If we could get the Aubrey against Baylor all the time, then yes she's a starter.. But not the Aubrey against ND or OSU....

Reaction Score
We are now in a new world of basketball for both the men and women. Two major changes - the three point shot and the transfer portal. Also, the refereeing in basketball has mirrored football where the benefit of the doubt is given to the offense. If you don't believe that I would suggest watching the last couple of minutes of any game. A deliberate foul dictates not only foul shots but gives possision of the ball to the aggrieved team. To me if a player is dribbling past you and you grab him by the shoulder and spin him or her around that is the personification of a deliberate foul. When was the last time you saw it called? As a result scoring is up everywhere and will continue to be.

Reaction Score
What's this I hear about a defensive end in women's basketball? I've never heard of that before...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom