Olympic Roster | The Boneyard

Olympic Roster

Reaction Score
I see a lot of roster predictions for the women’s soccer national team but nothing for women’s basketball (USA) so I figured maybe post here.. Who do you think we will see on the Olympic roster this summer? I’m really hoping that Napheesa will make it. Of course I expect to see sue, Diana, Stewie, Elena, Griner, etc. And could we see Aaliyah represent Canada? That would be cool if Aaliyah, at the end of her freshman year earned an Olympic medal. And I’m probably gonna get roasted for saying this but could Paige get some consideration? I don’t expect she’ll make the roster at age 19 but perhaps a training camp invite?

Reaction Score
Anthony Davis played his Olympic game when he was 19. It can happen in the men's basketball . Not sure about women's one.

Reaction Score
Kia and Aaliyah will represent Canada for sure since they are 2018 FIBA team.

Not sure Paige since too many Ex-UConn player will be in the team, Sue, DT, Brenna, Tina (they are in 2016 US team) and hope Napheesa but I think Maya will not be available (she is in 2016 team too)..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige is too young.
Pheesa possible but competition is tight. She’ll probably have a better chance in 24

this year it’s likely Sue, Diana, EDD, Stewie, Fowles, Tina, Aja, Griner.
Also possible: Nneka, CP, Diggins, C Gray, Loyd, Angel, Plum

Reaction Score
Paige is too young.
Pheesa possible but competition is tight. She’ll probably have a better chance in 24

Highly doubt Plum would make the team over DeShields (if healthy), Allisha Gray, or Clarendon. The rest of the names you listed are pretty much locks, for sure.

Reaction Score
Don't forget, Christian Laettner was on the Dream Team.
If Paige goes haywire in the NCAA's IMO she will certainly deserve consideration for a spot, and a key spot. What if Sue stepped away and welcomed the new generation of women guards to the forefront. It would be exciting.

Reaction Score
Don't forget, Christian Laettner was on the Dream Team.
If Paige goes haywire in the NCAA's IMO she will certainly deserve consideration for a spot, and a key spot. What if Sue stepped away and welcomed the new generation of women guards to the forefront. It would be exciting.

Christian Laettner was in the 1992 Summer Olympic at age 23. Definitely wish Paige can be in this year's Olympic team but seems too young at age 19. I think Paige will be in the 2023 USA FIBA team, hopefully with Azzi.

Reaction Score
Paige is too young.

Remember when Pheesa stuck around with the USA team in 2018 and was one of the last few, and the last College player, cut?

Mike Anthony Article about this in link below:

She also has participated on a number of 3 X 3 National teams.

USA Basketball tends to rewards those who have made a long term commitment. I would be surprised if she doesn't make the team!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Christian Laettner was in the 1992 Summer Olympic at age 23.
Laettner was there only because they wanted a college player. He was nowhere near the 12th best player in the US, and his Olympics playing time confirmed that.

And the men's team is very different from the women's. Women are playing at a very high level into their mid/late 30s (eg, Sue 40, DT 36).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I assume USA Basketball remains highly loyal to those that previously played for them. I have no idea on where players mentioned fall in the hierarchy, but I'm doubtful that any non-seniors (and probably any college players at all) will be on the Senior National Team this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Remember when Pheesa stuck around with the USA team in 2018 and was one of the last few, and the last College player, cut?

Mike Anthony Article about this in link below:

She also has participated on a number of 3 X 3 National teams.

USA Basketball tends to rewards those who have made a long term commitment. I would be surprised if she doesn't make the team!
and no one is a bigger fan of Collier than Dawn.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what year in school Stewie was when she was first on the team. I know she was still in college and Geno was the coach and some thought he had picked her because she was his player. She actually got good minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what year in school Stewie was when she was first on the team. I know she was still in college and Geno was the coach and some thought he had picked her because she was his player. She actually got good minutes.
She graduated in 2016 and then was on the Olympic team that summer.

The only young player with a shot, IMO, is Ionescu.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stewie was on the WC team for the gold in 2014. It was fall so the start of her Junior season. She was on the 16 Olympic and the 18 WC as well.

USA basketball has often selected one or two players as developmental for the end of their roster. Maya was selected for the 2010 WC in the fall of her senior year, DT as a just graduated player in 2004 Olympics, Sue as a just graduated player for the 2002 WC. And Lobo was added to the Olympic roster just after she graduated in 1996.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the replies. I knew she was on a championship team and thought it was probably her junior year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When you consider the quality of players you are speaking about, the only thing it reflects is their impressive longevity - playing at Olympic quality for so long!

I am sure people are talking about how embarrassing it is for the NFL that a 43 year old QB is still winning superbowls - I mean really aren't there any good athletes coming up, that two of the last three championships were won by a grey beard?

Reaction Score
I think that the fact that older athletes are being more successful has a lot to do with advances in nutrition, conditioning as well as medical advances to treat injuries. They are able to take care of their bodies better than even 20 years ago.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think that the fact that older athletes are being more successful has a lot to do with advances in nutrition, conditioning as well as medical advances to treat injuries. They are able to take care of their bodies better than even 20 years ago.
And don't forget pay. Money allows for much more focus on the proper nutrition, training and the best medical help

Most major league athletes of yore spent their off-season working other jobs just to survive, and for women it has been even harder and more recently that they could live on their professional play.
USA women's soccer players until quite recent received scant support outside of lead up to competitions. A year around squad and professional squads are fairly new realities.
The 1996 Women's Olympic basketball team was the first squad to actually have a full year of lead-up during a time when there was no professional WBB league.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie was on the WC team for the gold in 2014. It was fall so the start of her Junior season. She was on the 16 Olympic and the 18 WC as well.

USA basketball has often selected one or two players as developmental for the end of their roster. Maya was selected for the 2010 WC in the fall of her senior year, DT as a just graduated player in 2004 Olympics, Sue as a just graduated player for the 2002 WC. And Lobo was added to the Olympic roster just after she graduated in 1996.
It was interesting to watch Stewie's development. In Istanbul in 2014, she and Sims were the last players off the bench. Stewie was schooled by more experienced players and got no foul calls. In 2016 in Rio, she and EDD were near the end of the bench--that caused Geno to feel very confident--and she played well. In Tenerife in 2018, Stewie dominated and won the MOP/MOV. She's been the best player in the world since.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
1614562098059.png

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It was interesting to watch Stewie's development. In Istanbul in 2014, she and Sims were the last players off the bench. Stewie was schooled by more experienced players and got no foul calls. In 2016 in Rio, she and EDD were near the end of the bench--that caused Geno to feel very confident--and she played well. In Tenerife in 2018, Stewie dominated and won the MOP/MOV. She's been the best player in the world since.
Same with Maya, Sue and Dee. And for Sue and Dee, when they were finally given the keys, they crashed in Brazil in the 2006 WC - last time USA did not get Gold. (Of course that team was missing most of the starters from the 2004 Olympics.) USA has been focused on bring new players along since then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom