OLIVIA | The Boneyard

OLIVIA

Reaction Score
I think this kid has the potential to be great. She's got a lot to learn, and greatness will obviously not emerge overnight. Her rebounding and her shot-blocking ability combine to offer her team a real contribution immediately, while the rest of her game develops. But I have to say that I'm surprised that the coaching staff, and especially CD, who has primary responsibility for the post players, has not moved aggressively to alter one part of her game. Simply put, Olivia fails to utilize her natural height advantage when shooting in the paint. Most of her shots are launched from chest level, or shoulder level at best. Accordingly, and somewhat shockingly, she is fairly vulnerable to having her own shots down low blocked. It's a mystery to me that she is apparently not being drilled in going to the rim with the ball held well-above head level where it would become virtually impossible for most defenders to contest. Just wondered if others here have noticed this.

Reaction Score
You are correct. She will impact the game right now mostly through her rebounding and shot blocking. She was pretty good today about not fouling or committing dumb fouls. Defense is improving already.

Obviously the work that needs to be done is on the offensive end. She seems to get knocked off the ball easy. Needs to be more physical on the offensive end. She has a size advantage most kids don't have but she starts with the ball so low that she is getting it blocked or stripped away. I imagine the coaches will fix that stuff up. Finishing close to the rim is the other area she will need to build on in the future. She is only a true freshman with not a lot of experience. It will improve the more she plays.

Continue to work hard she will continue to see minutes. She has a high ceiling and adds something to the team no other kid on the roster has with her size and length

Reaction Score
I think this kid has the potential to be great. She's got a lot to learn, and greatness will obviously not emerge overnight. Her rebounding and her shot-blocking ability combine to offer her team a real contribution immediately, while the rest of her game develops. But I have to say that I'm surprised that the coaching staff, and especially CD, who has primary responsibility for the post players, has not moved aggressively to alter one part of her game. Simply put, Olivia fails to utilize her natural height advantage when shooting in the paint. Most of her shots are launched from chest level, or shoulder level at best. Accordingly, and somewhat shockingly, she is fairly vulnerable to having her own shots down low blocked. It's a mystery to me that she is apparently not being drilled in going to the rim with the ball held well-above head level where it would become virtually impossible for most defenders to contest. Just wondered if others here have noticed this.
Why do you assume that CD and company have "not moved aggressively to alter" Liv's tendency to launch from chest level. This has been a point of emphasis with every other post player at UCONN in the past 30 years. Do you think that CD suddenly forgot to harp on this? More likely it is a bad habit that takes time to break.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why do you assume that CD and company have "not moved aggressively to alter" Liv's tendency to launch from chest level. This has been a point of emphasis with every other post player at UCONN in the past 30 years. Do you think that CD suddenly forgot to harp on this? More likely it is a bad habit that takes time to break.

I remind you that Liv is only 7 games into her freshman season. I agree with you that she must change her shooting technique. I also alert you that the SLU player that was blocking some of her shots today was also
a 6-5 freshman, Brooke Flowers. Flowers had 2 pts, 4 reb and 2 blocks today in 21 minutes. ONO had 12/10 and 5 blocks and no fouls in 24 mins. I'd say ONO won that battle.

Liv got most of her shots off. She also recorded a double-double today. She will improve the more she plays. She'll get tired and embarrassed of getting her shots blocked, and she will make the necessary adjustments sooner rather than later. She's still adjusting to play at this level. Let's see where she is in mid-January.
I doubt seriously you'll see her getting any of her shots blocked this time next year. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Clearly Liv is a work in progress and she will be a much better player by March than she is today. A reminder to those who might have forgotten, it was really not until her junior year that Kiah Stokes could consistently make an open layup. I also recall that Nat used to bring rebounds down to her waste and constantly get tied up by smaller players, until the coaches broke that habit by her last season at UConn.

Liv is smart, athletic and she works hard. With the coaches help, she’ll get it.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Clearly Liv is a work in progress and she will be a much better player by March than she is today. A reminder to those who might have forgotten, it was really not until her junior year that Kiah Stokes could consistently make an open layup. I also recall that Nat used to bring rebounds down to her waste and constantly get tied up by smaller players, until the coaches broke that habit by her last season at UConn.

Liv is smart, athletic and she works hard. With the coaches help, she’ll get it.
I like your Freudian slip. Bringing rebounds down to your waist is a waste. She will get better. But she was 5 of 12 last night. Still room for growth

Reaction Score
We must hope that she is one of those people who is able to add mass and muscle while maintaining her skills. Not everyone can do that. Without more strength, she will not become an impact player.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Needs to be more physical on the offensive end. "

I haven't watched the replay yet but I think I saw her throw a high elbow to the defender's face last night. I don't think it was intentional but still pretty nasty. That seemed more physical to me.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like your Freudian slip. Bringing rebounds down to your waist is a waste. She will get better. But she was 5 of 12 last night. Still room for growth

The dynamic you highlighted is one of the reasons English is such a hard language to learn for those learning it as a second language. Not to mention that there are words in our English language that have no comparable words in other languages.

I’m an old guy too. Since I’ve been in the yard, I’ve encountered words I’d never seen before. When I do, I always stop and look them up, and write them down. You’re never too old to learn. I before E accept after C? :confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The dynamic you highlighted is one of the reasons English is such a hard language to learn for those learning it as a second language. Not to mention that there are words in our English language that have no comparable words in other languages.

I’m an old guy too. Since I’ve been in the yard, I’ve encountered words I’ve never seen before. When I do, I always stop and look them up, and write them down. You’re never too old to lean. I before E accept after C? :confused:
I wish English was my 2nd language. Then at least I’d have an excuse.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I wish English was my 2nd language. Then at least I’d have an excuse.

OD, you are not alone. :D I proof read my posts several times before I press save. The short comments are easy. It’s those longer posts that prove hard to insure grammatical correctness.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve gone back to review a comment after posting, only to find a grammatical error that needed correction. I must say my writing skills and vocabulary have improved since joining the boneyard and commenting on a regular basis. Use it or lose it.

Reaction Score
We must hope that she is one of those people who is able to add mass and muscle while maintaining her skills. Not everyone can do that. Without more strength, she will not become an impact player.
Added muscle always useful but if you look at all the layups she missed last night, much of it was poor footwork. When she goes up off a solid stance her legs provide strength and most go in. Last night, she was often flat footed, got poor lift and even a small bump moved her. Saw this early on with Stevens as well and by mid year the issue was solved.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Added muscle always useful but if you look at all the layups she missed last night, much of it was poor footwork. When she goes up off a solid stance her legs provide strength and most go in. Last night, she was often flat footed, got poor lift and even a small bump moved her. Saw this early on with Stevens as well and by mid year the issue was solved.
I’m also expecting Liv to be a completely different player by the end of the season. She’s going to be an important contributor in March.

Reaction Score

Nice analysis of a great kid. I like everything about ONO's personality and you are correct she had greatness within her; it only has to be YANKED out. I'm more than certain any faults that WE see in ONO CD, Geno,Shea, Jazmine have seen and are working to correct that deficiency.
I offer this as an ignorant explanation: She knows she should shoot high in traffic but like you ,me and the Pope when we get anxious or excited we revert to the old tried and maybe not so true style.
This is ONO only 2nd game with consequential minutes. She has improved near light years from her first time on the Uconn floor. With the speed of improvement that bodes well for Geno/us and says this about Olivia Nelson-Odado: she is intelligent and WANTS to learn --WANTING is a huge factor. Something about a horse leading and drinking???

Reaction Score

@HopJim, interesting and great viewing of her during the game. Legs are a big part of shooting AND jumping.
My poorly phrased and ignorant knowledge of the game allows me to say: ONO got so much better in so short a period of time that she shall be exceptional. Maybe by February/March/April maybe next season. The minutes she played in the ND I hope is a harbinger of things to come.

Reaction Score
If she could develop the hook shot Stewie learned and mastered while at UConn, her offensive efficiency will dramatically increase. Next summer should prove to be very telling for her... Go Huskies!

Carnac

Reaction Score

Whoa, not so fast my friend. It is indeed possible to become an impact player while maintaining a slight build. To support my hypothesis, I give you Reggie Miller, aka the N.Y. Knick killer. :D

1544034650096.png

Remember when he made the choking gesture to Spike Lee at the garden during a game he and the Pacers were "waxing" the Knicks? ;) I think you would have to agree that Reggie did in fact have a profound impact on the league the 18 years he played. His slight build NEVER betrayed him. Even though he was never able to put on a "gun show", he was able to score 3 point baskets from way behind the arc on a consistent basis.

Wikipedia - Miller was known for his precision three-point shooting, especially in pressure situations and most notably against the New York Knicks, for which he earned the nickname "Knick Killer". When he retired, he held the record for most career 3-point field goals made. He is currently second on the list behind Ray Allen. A five-time All-Star selection, Miller led the league in free throw accuracy five times and won a gold medal in the 1996 Summer Olympics.

Miller is widely considered the Pacers' greatest player of all time. His No. 31 was retired by the team in 2006. Currently, he works as an NBA commentator for TNT. On September 7, 2012, Miller was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

It appears that Miller made quite an "impact" in the NBA to me. The HOF selection committee thought so too. I don't think Reggie felt the need to spend much time in the weight room during his professional career. He chose to spend most of his "practice" time on the court perfecting his jumper.

I rest my case. :cool:

Reaction Score
Liv has exceeded my expectations since seeing her in the first few games. The great thing to see is that she doesn't seem lost out there. Yes she gets pushed around a little bit due to her lack of strength and has trouble finishing layups but in terms of her motion and flow in the games she looks good for this time of year. Her natural ability of leaping and timing is getting better and we see that with the rebounds she's getting when she's in the game. Again, really impressed and hope she can continue to develop because if she can I think against any competition she's good for 8pts 8rebounds this year.

Reaction Score
It is like watching Z last year. Z's first few games out were very similar although Z was much older and more polished. At the end of the year, Z was indispensable. Had she stayed another year, she would probably be the #1 WNBA draft choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom