Oline | The Boneyard

Oline

Reaction Score
True. I'm also seeing tangible improvement in the young 'uns every week. Their footwork is already better than I've seen in the recent past. Can't wait to watch them mature over the next few years.

Also, I think Vechery is doing a nice job at center. I assume he has surpassed Oak after Dan struggled getting the ball back at times. I hadn't heard anything about an injury.

Reaction Score
Impressive how few false starts and holding penalties have been called on them. Its helping the O move the chains. How many times in previous years did we see multiple Oline penalties in a single quarter?
I recall a few instances of back to back false starts in the last couple years, nevermind multiple penalties in a quarter. We've definitely gotten better at avoiding shooting ourselves in the foot.

Reaction Score
I recall a few instances of back to back false starts in the last couple years, nevermind multiple penalties in a quarter. We've definitely gotten better at avoiding shooting ourselves in the foot.

That's true. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I vaguely recall being flagged for Oline infractions on 3 consecutive plays. I remember thinking that I had never seen that before, whatever it was they did. Grimes said we would see improvement in the Oline over the season and we are.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The appear to have some semblance of what needs to be done. I don't think they will be out muscling most teams but consistency should be a reachable goal in the 2nd half of the season. They young guys do look competent but need another off-season in the weight room.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
True. I'm also seeing tangible improvement in the young 'uns every week. Their footwork is already better than I've seen in the recent past. Can't wait to watch them mature over the next few years.

Also, I think Vechery is doing a nice job at center. I assume he has surpassed Oak after Dan struggled getting the ball back at times. I hadn't heard anything about an injury.

I felt like regardless of what lineup started the season Vechery and Rutherford would earn some run. When Hopkins got hurt I was hoping to see Vechery.

Next year with Peart, DeGeorge and VanDemark, that's a nice building block. Finding a center will be huge for next season (cue Capt. Obvious).

Reaction Score
I say this with a smile.

How in God's name can anybody watch a football game and notice the footwork of the OL?

I, on occasion, try and watch a WR run a route, but my eyes always revert back to the QB.

To be able to watch an OL long enough to make any distinction about hands or footwork just seems impossible to do.

Not an attack on anyone, as I've seem it a few times. Honest observation.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I say this with a smile.

How in God's name can anybody watch a football game and notice the footwork of the OL?

I, on occasion, try and watch a WR run a route, but my eyes always revert back to the QB.

To be able to watch an OL long enough to make any distinction about hands or footwork just seems impossible to do.

Not an attack on anyone, as I've seem it a few times. Honest observation.

Mostly by hitting rewind.

When a okay goes exceptionally well or poor or if it's a new play I rewind to see what the line was doing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I felt like regardless of what lineup started the season Vechery and Rutherford would earn some run. When Hopkins got hurt I was hoping to see Vechery.

Next year with Peart, DeGeorge and VanDemark, that's a nice building block. Finding a center will be huge for next season (cue Capt. Obvious).

Won't Crozier be able to come back as well? I'm assuming medical redshirt, but I'm not sure.

As to the question of why we don't get penalties anymore, it's because they are being coached by a real OLine coach and not an a$$hat. Further evidence of this is seeing the guards pull on running plays now, which is a thing of beauty.

I'm extremely excited about the future with this coaching staff in charge...

Reaction Score
Want to get the strength up but not too much weight. Tired of slow lineman that can't make block and are standing around while the RBs and QB are pummeled. Being able to see players pull and make blocks again is a breath of fresh air. With the speed of this offense mobility is a premium.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Crozier will be back but who knows out of the freshman already he who might be the next center as we know they have some size.

The team goes as far as the offensive line goes

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm assuming Crozier goes the Bennett and Hopkins route.

Two major surgeries in college is enough.

If by some miracle he is healed and able to play, great. But you have to assume he can't go.

Reaction Score

If by some miracle he is healed and able to play, great. But you have to assume he can't go.
Hopkins route?

Reaction Score
They are definitely still learning. I rewatched the game. On first and goal in the first quarter, two lineman went past the DT and both hit the LB. The DT went straight into the backfield and dropped our RB for a loss. As Edsall said, we still have a lot of things to clean up.

Lashlee has them moving with pace and purpose. It has really made a difference in keeping focused.

Reaction Score
JB Grimes is the real deal. The improvement in everything they do is noticeable. Just need a little more time getting their weight and strength up.
Double that man's salary he's working miracles IMHO. They can actually, mostly pass protect and on occasion even open gaping holes. This group couldn't get out of its own way for the last 5 years. Just goes to show what good coaching can do. They clearly have focus, more technique and balance, communicate better and have a sense of pride. I've seen lineman actually going to the second level and finishing plays. That's awesome.

Reaction Score
If I never see another UConn QB or RB laying on the ground after being blasted 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage while two UConn linemen are standing up looking at each again, it will be too soon.

That is what I find frustrating. Throughout the season there has been more than a few times you see the OL upright with arms outstretched from the side doing nothing more than blocking wind gusts as DL rush around either side to nail a RB or QB in the backfield.

What do they think....a DL man is going to run into them? They have to start to look for someone to knock down or push aside to open up some holes.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Did you mean Joe Akers instead of Hopkins?

By the way, I still feel bad for him after all these years. He definitely made the right call by not risking his life...

Reaction Score
Won't Crozier be able to come back as well? I'm assuming medical redshirt, but I'm not sure.

As to the question of why we don't get penalties anymore, it's because they are being coached by a real OLine coach and not an a$$hat. Further evidence of this is seeing the guards pull on running plays now, which is a thing of beauty.

I'm extremely excited about the future with this coaching staff in charge...

Crozier is only in his 4th year with the program. He absolutely gets to come back for a 5th year. Given the injuries, there is a good chance he could have a 6th year if he wants it.

Reaction Score
It's so refreshing to have a competent to great OC & OL coach. I really hope Edsall & Benedict make it priority #1 to put an attractive plan in place to keep them here past the end of next year. I know we will figure things out on the defensive side of the ball (and seem to have already started to). There is just such an opportunity to own this conference with the resources we have, continuity on the offensive side of the ball is the biggest question mark in that equation in my eyes.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Did you mean Joe Akers instead of Hopkins?

By the way, I still feel bad for him after all these years. He definitely made the right call by not risking his life...
I thought Akers was really going to shine for us. Could have been a 4 year starter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom