My personal favorites in no particular order:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Only Angels Have Wings
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Reaction Score
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Stagecoach (1939)

Tomorrow I might pick any three from these, or from more; I change my mind all the time.

Citizen Kane
Strangers on a Train
Captain Blood
Laura
Casablanca
The Lady Eve
Red River
It’s a Wonderful Life
North by Northwest

I have to say though that Casablanca, while a top on my enjoyable list, would never be anywhere near the top of my "best" list. It's just so much fun, but really not a particularly well-made movie. We play a game with it, quoting awful lines, but I absolutely love it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's fun to read your lists, many of which could easily be in my Top 10, but where or how to set the limit? How do you compare drama, comedy, western, musical etc.? Do it by category? Who were the top directors? Best Intros (The Third Man has no completion for me on this one)? Set your categories, and I'll be happy to contribute.

Reaction Score
My personal favorites in no particular order:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Only Angels Have Wings
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Treasure of Sierra Madre always on my top 5 or ten list. Rarely see anyone else include it. Couldn’t get my kids (in their 30s to watch because it’s in black and white! Agree with Godfather I and II and Casablanca. Another gem is Little Big Man, satirical and touching, but one of the best anti-war/anti-genocide films ever.

Reaction Score
Treasure of Sierra Madre always on my top 5 or ten list. Rarely see anyone else include it. Couldn’t get my kids (in their 30s to watch because it’s in black and white! Agree with Godfather I and II and Casablanca. Another gem is Little Big Man, satirical and touching, but one of the best anti-war/anti-genocide films ever.
Your post made me remember Dr. Strangelove - classic!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Ok...another one. What was the name of the actor who played "Little John" in the 1939 version of Robin Hood? And the character actor who played Friar Tuck.
Alan Hale (AKA "the Skipper') was Little John. I can picture the Friar tuck actor but don't know his name. Did he do a similar role in Zorro?

Reaction Score
Alan Hale (AKA "the Skipper') was Little John. I can picture the Friar tuck actor but don't know his name. Did he do a similar role in Zorro?
Eugene Palette.

CL82

Reaction Score
Warner Bros had a nice group of folks that would show up in lots of their movies. During the 30's, Jack Warner hired many actors that ran to the USA after Hitler took power and before he overran Europe. The movie "Casablanca" was loaded with them. Can you name a few of them?
Easy.

Bogart
Sidney Greenstreet
Peter Lore
S.Z "Cuddles" Sakall

I'm not sure about Claude Rains and Paul Henreid. They were bigger names but probably on contract to Warner. I believe that Bergman was on contract to another studio and was a loan for the movie.

As you can guess, I'm a big Casablanca fan. I first watched it at UConn in Politics, Propaganda and Cinema. I took it for the easy credits but enjoyed it and gained an appreciation for the subtle and not so subtle messaging in film.

EDIT:
I just checked to see if it was still being taught. The name of the teacher who is teaching it 'live' at Stamford may be familiar.

1618424399340.png

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
The Skipper Hale was the son (Jr.) of the Little John Hale.
Are you kidding me? The look exactly the same and have the same mannerisms.

(Ok I'm googling that. Yep you are right. Haha I can't believe I never thought about the timeline. And people say you can't learn anything on the BY...)

Reaction Score
We definitely have something in common when it comes to taste in movies. Dr. Strangelove always makes my top 5-10 list, along with another Peter Sellers movie, Being There.
and three in the same vein from that era: Manchurian Candidate, Seven Days in May, Fail Safe

Reaction Score
Eugene Pallette - Alan Hale Senior played Little John. His son played the skipper.

Reaction Score
With the possible exception of Being There - Jerzy Kozinsky was not into comedy, and wrote it as a political satire with great funny moments; ant The Lady Eve, a romcom for its day - there are no pure comedies. My nominies in no order except for #1:
1) Kind Hearts and Coronets
2) Night at the Opera
3) His Gal Friday
4) The Producers - with Zero
5) The Odd Couple
Yours?

Reaction Score
With the possible exception of Being There - Jerzy Kozinsky was not into comedy, and wrote it as a political satire with great funny moments; ant The Lady Eve, a romcom for its day - there are no pure comedies. My nominies in no order except for #1:
1) Kind Hearts and Coronets
2) Night at the Opera
3) His Gal Friday
4) The Producers - with Zero
5) The Odd Couple
Yours?
Oh, man. Kind Hearts and Coronets is another of my favorites! Guinness was brilliant (times 8)!

Reaction Score
Oh, man. Kind Hearts and Coronets is another of my favorites! Guinness was brilliant (times 8)!
Did you see those other great Ealing & Guiness films: The Man in the White Suit, The Captain's Paradise, The Lavender Hill Mob, Our Man in Havana?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I’ll divide my list into classics and movies made in my lifetime. Of course they're subject to change. Daily.

Classics:

Holiday (Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant)
Monkey Business (Marx Bros.)
To Have and Have Not (Bogart and Bacall and Walter Brennan)

Modern:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai (Peter Weller, Ellen Barkin, John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum)
Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet)
Princess Mononoke (Hayao Miyazaki)

If y’all allow miniseries, my favorite thing ever made was the Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice. That one's not subject to daily change.

Reaction Score
Did you see those other great Ealing & Guiness films: The Man in the White Suit, The Captain's Paradise, The Lavender Hill Mob, Our Man in Havana?
No, but I bought an Alec Guinness set because it had Kind Hearts in it. It also has the first three in your list plus The Ladykillers. I'll make it a priority to watch them in the next few days and report back

Reaction Score
If y’all allow miniseries, my favorite thing ever made was the Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice. That one's not subject to change
Why not, and I agree it's the best version of P&P. But you'd also have to consider the likes of I Claudius, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy with it's fabulous opening credits, and Shogun to mention a few.

Reaction Score
Classics Before 1970:
1) Casablanca
2) Gone With The Wind
3) Citizen Kane
4) Lawrence of Arabia
5) West Side Story
6) Intolerance

Movies After 1970:
1) Godfather
2) Godfather II
3) Saving Private Ryan
4) Goodfellas
5) The Deer Hunter
6) Amadeus

TV Series:
1) The Sopranos
2) Breaking Bad
3) Nothing else is close for me

I will start P&P now with Colin Firth based upon the recommendations above since I loved the P&P version with Keira Knightley. "Heaven and Earth, are the shades of Pemberly to be thus polluted?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom