OT: - Old Movies Trivia | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Old Movies Trivia

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Why not, and I agree it's the best version of P&P. But you'd also have to consider the likes of I Claudius, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy with it's fabulous opening credits, and Shogun to mention a few.
Also Roots. But there's nothing I like better than the 1995 P&P.

I've already changed my votes, I don't know how I could have missed Life of Brian and Young Frankenstein.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I will start P&P now with Colin Firth based upon the recommendations above since I loved the P&P version with Keira Knightley. "Heaven and Earth, are the shades of Pemberly to be thus polluted?"
The c. 1980 BBC P&P is what started my lifelong love of Jane Austen. I reread at least one of her books every year (Sinclair Lewis, too). It doesn't matter that I know everything that's gonna happen, her insights into human nature and beautiful use of language are what the trip's all about.

I wish there was a definitive version of Persuasion. Every one is flawed, and at least one is downright awful.

Reaction Score
Did you see those other great Ealing & Guiness films: The Man in the White Suit, The Captain's Paradise, The Lavender Hill Mob, Our Man in Havana?
Saw them all loved them all. Alec Guinness is a great actor. Probably best known for Bridge over the River Kwai (another of my all time faves) and to the younger (at least to me) as Obi Wan.

Reaction Score
The c. 1980 BBC P&P is what started my lifelong love of Jane Austen. I reread at least one of her books every year (Sinclair Lewis, too). It doesn't matter that I know everything that's gonna happen, her insights into human nature and beautiful use of language are what the trip's all about.

I wish there was a definitive version of Persuasion. Every one is flawed, and at least one is downright awful.
The language is truly magnificent. I just rewatched the 2020 version of Emma. with Anya Taylor Joy last night. She is exquisite in it.

Reaction Score
Nominations for your 3 Greatest Films of All Time. Mine:
1) The Grand Illusion
2) Casablanca
3 The Godfather #1
My top three in order..........

1) The Apartment
2) The Quiet Man
3) Shane

ten honorable mentions.......

M*A*S*H, The Hurricane 1937, Laura, Giant, October Sky, The Sound of Music, Casablanca, A Place in the Sun, The Godfather, Suspicion.

Good prints of “The Hurricane” are very hard to find, but there is a pristine one someone uploaded to YouTube a couple years ago.

Had to put Casablanca in there but my two favorite Bogart films were The Cain Mutiny and maybe the most underrated flick Bogie ever made, “Sahara”.

As for greatest single performances.......James Dean in Giant, Montgomery Clift in A Place in the Sun, Shirley McLaine in The Apartment and Joan Fontaine in Suspicion would be my picks.

As for a great musical score, “The Hurricane” still is glorious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

1) The Apartment
2) The Quiet Man
3) Shane

M*A*S*H, The Hurricane 1937, Laura, Giant, October Sky, The Sound of Music, Casablanca, A Place in the Sun, The Godfather, Suspicion.

Good prints of “The Hurricane” are very hard to find, but there is a pristine one someone uploaded to YouTube a couple years ago.

Had to put Casablanca in there but my two favorite Bogart films were The Cain Mutiny and maybe the most underrated flick Bogie ever made, “Sahara”.
What's not to like with your top 3 (or top 13). My wife indulges my never missing an opportunity to see the bar scene and hear the singing of "There was an old colonial boy..."

Reaction Score
Did you see those other great Ealing & Guiness films: The Man in the White Suit, The Captain's Paradise, The Lavender Hill Mob, Our Man in Havana?
Just watched The Lavender Hill Mob - excellent, lots of fun. Enjoyed a beer while watching - I think you'll appreciate the glass
20210415_182029.jpg

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
“Jack Dugan was his name”

There was a bar in Pittsburgh that was frequented by Irish and Italians. This was in the late sixties and seventies. They argued and fought like hell. But when Eddie Kidney got drunk and sang "The Wild Colonial Boy" they all stopped to listen. Boy he could sing it! Fond memories of the little I could remember most mornings.

Reaction Score
Watched The Man in the White Suit last night. Thought it started out okay, but really picked up for the last half hour. Nice finish. Stiil have to watch The Captain's Paradise and The Ladykillers.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I do not know if this film has been included in this thread, but I just watched "The African Queen". To me it is a masterpiece of storytelling and acting. One of the few American films that chose to portray both male and female leads as physically unattractive, emotionally stunted, and then allows them to grow before our eyes into a fine pair. Two great stars playing roles unfamiliar to their audiences. Thank you, TCM.

Reaction Score
You're absolutely right. It's a great movie. Bogart's only Oscar because he had to act, not just be himself, and his range in that movie is tremendous. Favorite line " I now pronounce you man and wife, shoot them!"

Reaction Score
I do not know if this film has been included in this thread, but I just watched "The African Queen". To me it is a masterpiece of storytelling and acting. One of the few American films that chose to portray both male and female leads as physically unattractive, emotionally stunted, and then allows them to grow before our eyes into a fine pair. Two great stars playing roles unfamiliar to their audiences. Thank you, TCM.
Great flick, right up there with The Caine Mutiny, Sabrina, and Casablanca. In the Caine Mutiny, both Bogart and Tom Tully should gotten the oscars they were nominated for, best actor and best supporting actor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, but I bought an Alec Guinness set because it had Kind Hearts in it. It also has the first three in your list plus The Ladykillers. I'll make it a priority to watch them in the next few days and report back
Still interested in hearing what you thought of The Man in the White Suit & Lady Killers?

Reaction Score
Still interested in hearing what you thought of The Man in the White Suit & Lady Killers?
Watched The Man in the White Suit last night. Thought it started out okay, but really picked up for the last half hour. Nice finish. Stiil have to watch The Captain's Paradise and The Ladykillers.
Already commented on The Man in the White Suit.

The Captain's Paradise was very good. Very amusing watching his entire world spiral out of his control.

The Ladykillers was excellent. Love the fact that this frail old woman with a less than firm grasp of reality ends up being too much for the villains.

Reaction Score

1) The Apartment
2) The Quiet Man
3) Shane

As for greatest single performances.......James Dean in Giant, Montgomery Clift in A Place in the Sun, Shirley McLaine in The Apartment and Joan Fontaine in Suspicion would be my picks.

As for a great musical score, “The Hurricane” still is glorious.
A film loaded with top stars was Judgement at Nuremberg. I thought Judy Garland and Montgomery Cliff gave superb acting, but they were probably overshadowed by the star power of Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster and Marlene Dietrich.

Reaction Score
A film loaded with top stars was Judgement at Nuremberg. I thought Judy Garland and Montgomery Cliff gave superb acting, but they were probably overshadowed by the star power of Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster and Marlene Dietrich.
Too true, sort of like who's the greatest UCONN WBB of all time, or which is the greatest UCONN team?

Reaction Score
I fully agree on Garland and Cliff. Maximilian Schell was also excellent

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom