Ok... Where do I put all this Snow? | The Boneyard

Ok... Where do I put all this Snow?

Reaction Score
The town plows left a 3 foot pile of snow in the street in front of my house about 2 yesterday afternoon... and now it gone.. the whole street seems to be one big snow drift, about 4+ feet.... My pickup looks like an SUV.. the bed is full up to the rest of the roof....My front door is blocked with 3 feet of snow... It's going to be a fun day.....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good luck! This is the time of year that "hunkering" returns to our vocabulary.

I'm supposed to fly from Dulles to So. Cal. The flight is 3-1/2 hours late. The plane was late getting out of S.F. I didn't realize the Bay Area is in the snow belt.

Reaction Score
This is the first time I couldn't open any door in my house. I got the back door opened about 8 inches and shoveled through that little opening to get it opened. The front door is solid ... wouldn't move at all. Getting dressed now to get the neighbors out...:(

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Where do you live TDiN? Have a brother in Wallingford and a son in Boston and their silence is deafening.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Our dog refused to go out in the storm last night so she was whimpering when I got up this morning. I opened the door to let her out and was met with a 3' wall of snow in the doorway. It took me 20 minutes to dig out a path for her - just the way I wanted to spend my Saturday morning.

And our mailbox didn't make it through the night. The post is buried in a 5' snowbank at the end of the driveway and the mailbox itself is in a sidewalk.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
There's an area near my house that gets the piled snow from shoveling the parking area plus snow shoveled off the roof. Usually I have a blast jumping into the snow from the roof when I'm done. The fun will be diminished today because the snow is too high. I might need to have an avalanche beacon with me though :).

Kirk Sinclair
Norfolk, Official Icebox of CT

Reaction Score
A simple solution to the problem.
Free_Snowman.jpg

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We're one of the unfortunate 3% of the CL&P customers without power. I listened to the CL&P guy this morning and as usual he didn't have anything to say, although he ran his mouth for 10 minutes. I have the generator running so we have power for everything except hot water and heat.

I measured 20" a couple of hours ago and it's still coming down. My driveway plow guy is MIA and we probably won't get out before March. Fortunately we have lots of wine to take the chill off. Single digits tonight might be a challenge.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Our neighbor across the street has been trying to snowblow his driveway. In 45 minutes he's managed to clear about 4'. Unfortunately, the wind is blowing it back into the driveway. We're heading out in about an hour - hopefully we can get the worst of it cleared.

Just looked out the window and it appears he's given up.

Reaction Score
According to WFSB-3, Milford wins the prize for the most snow - 38 inches. Here in Manchester they are reporting we received 28.5 - but how can they really tell? With all the drifting, how do they REALLY get an accurate measurement? This is a mystery I have never figured out even when I lived in Nebraska and South Dakota. I will say the biggest drifts I have ever seen was in South Dakota - but there is little to stop the snow so it just blows and blows across the open spaces until it finds something to pile up against.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We are extremely fortunate here in Norwalk. We have power in our home and even got a first driveway (and walkway!) plowing late last night, so we are blessed and now just riding it out. So how are we doing that?

Last night we dug out the DVD of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," with Dolly Parton (the mistress), Burt Reynolds (the protective sheriff and her paramour) and the scene-stealing Jim Nabors as the hilarious sheriff's deputy. Lots of yuks at this romp that skewers hypocrisy. A perfect respite from the cold and white mess outside.

Now, it's nearly 10 a.m., time for "Car Talk."

Tonight? A basketball game, I hope. Or yet another encore of "Blazing Saddles" or "Young Frankenstien" to keep our spirits up.

I hope all our Boneyard friends are surviving in similar good spirits. Jeez, maybe DD and MSF can even declare a temporary Cease Fire.:rolleyes:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Thankfully, the worst drifts seem to be to the back of my driveway (so ill just leave them be), but this is what greeted me when I opened my right garage door.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360427091.711051.jpg

Reaction Score
Got the driveway (one lane anyway) done. Let my neighbor park his plow there (I'm not going anywhere soon); he keeps his vehicle off-the-street - I get the apron opened everytime the city plows us back in (Grrr!). God bless that relatively inexpensive Cratfsman Snow Blower. 1-hour of reasonable effort.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
According to WFSB-3, Milford wins the prize for the most snow - 38 inches. Here in Manchester they are reporting we received 28.5 - but how can they really tell? With all the drifting, how do they REALLY get an accurate measurement? This is a mystery I have never figured out even when I lived in Nebraska and South Dakota. I will say the biggest drifts I have ever seen was in South Dakota - but there is little to stop the snow so it just blows and blows across the open spaces until it finds something to pile up against.
People have accused me of snow jobs for years. Wow, I get a prize for that!

--Milford

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I just paid $150 to get my drive plowed. I usually pay $65. I guess there's no rules against price gouging when it comes to plows.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
19 inches in Sandy Hook. Got the blower going to clear out around the garage doors and the front walk. Still waiting for my plow guy to show up. With an 1,100 foot drive, I'll pay the bill.

If I do it with the blower, it will take at least two hours!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just got in from shoveling (we started at 10:30). Here's what we saw when we opened the garage door - that's my son's car under that snow.

Feb 8, 2013 Blizzard 011.JPG

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom