Ok St/FL Recap - Net Plays and Key Stats | The Boneyard

Ok St/FL Recap - Net Plays and Key Stats

Reaction Score
Check here for a summary of how I'm charting the plays.

Player
OK StFL
PosNegNetPosNegNet
Newton193161578
Hawkins2241820614
Jackson2762117512
Karaban118357-2
Sanogo3192226620
Diarra45-145-1
Alleyne220707
Calcaterra734918
Clingan53230228

Newton (+16, +8) - Against OK St, I had Newton down for 6 "good contests" (aka hands up near the vicinity of the ball at the time of a shot in which I think materially affected the shooter, even on some makes) or blocks. His height and length are definitely a weapon on D. He had a good first half, but a bad stretch in the 2nd half against Florida where he was careless with the ball. He's a bit prone to these stretches, and may be due to fatigue. Newton still leads the Big East in free throw rate (free throws attempted per field goal attempt).

Hawkins (+18, +14) - The Hawkins breakout has arrived. These were by far Hawkins' 2 best games by my charting (and my charting probably undervalues 3-point shooting). His shooting against OK St was obviously on fire, and he also drew three 3-point shooting fouls in the 2 games. They used the same curls but had him attacking the rim more in the FL game. He had a couple wild attempts, but a couple nice finishes too, and in the 2H he pulled up for a couple money FT line jumpers. His athleticism is also a factor on defense and the boards. Hawkins is 1 of 2 high major players with at least 15 3-point attempts per 100 possessions while hitting >=39% on those attempts. Volume + accuracy.

Jackson (+21, +12) - Jackson had a star turn in the OK St game and had a nice "in the flow" game against Florida, despite playing his highest minutes total of the season yet thanks to Karaban's foul trouble. Many of us were hoping for Andre to be the high flying rim runner this season and get a bunch of dunks and draw a bunch of fouls (and he did do that once in the FL game with 1 sec left on the shot clock). But Andre is so unselfish that his natural inclination isn't too attack the rim, it's to draw attention and dish. Andre's turnover rate is at a career low and his assist rate is at a career high. The defense speaks for itself, but he was credited with 10 assists, 5 steals and 2 blocks over the last 2 games while committing 0 turnovers of his own. He's also 4/11 (36%) in the last 3 games from 3.

Karaban (+3, -2) - Has hit a bit of a freshman wall in these physical, high-major games. Getting into foul trouble and has been rendered a bit redundant with Jackson back. He's still deadly in transition for 3s, keeps the offense moving, and makes some wonderful entry passes. But since all our defenders are so good, he gets targeted a bit for being a slightly undersized freshman, and our system requires our 4s to help when guards get beat, so it's easy to pick up fouls. Better games and years ahead (the pre-Andre glimpse gets me excited for the next few years).

Sanogo (+22 MVP, +20) - He's a star. His defense has been really strong 2 games in a row as well. Sure he could kick it out a few more times like he did to Joey C last game, but there's a lot more to praise than complain about. Currently 5th in KPOY and 6th in RAPM; Edey, Sasser, and he are the only 3 in the top 10 of both.

Diarra (-1, -1) - Diarra's job is to come in and muck stuff up for the other team's offense. As a result, he plays pretty aggressive D, and may draw a couple fouls because of that. In limited minutes, a couple fouls from him aren't a big deal, so I'm not too concerned about negatives here. I'd say in general he's giving good backup minutes. He did fall asleep on D once in FL game and had a couple more mental errors. Would be good to clear those up going forward.

Alleyne (+0, +7) - Alleyne was a non-factor against OK St, but excellent in the Florida game off the bench. Had a couple aggressive drives, and although he didn't finish them, he drew defenders and opened space for offensive rebounds. In general, his defense is excellent, and he was strong across the board on D against FL (good 1v1 contests, good help forcing turnovers, box out drew a foul, etc.). Alleyne is still struggling from 3, but he's shooting a career best from 2 (generally better shot selection).

Calcaterra (+4, +8) - Calcaterra over the last few games has adjusted to the speed of the game. He's no longer committing turnovers, is still hitting shots at a crazy rate (including falling out of bounds), and has now also somehow started making acrobatic finishes in the paint. He was supposed to be our 10th man, but he's been so good. He's 29th in the country in RAPM for guys with <20% usage. (Jackson is 3rd).

Clingan (+2, +28 MVP) - Pretty opposite games. Clingan with a small impact and a relatively quick hook against OK St. And then an absolute dominant performance up against a borderline All-American in FL game. When he was in the game, he strongly contested basically every shot, rebounded everything, and had a billion dunks. +28 is the 2nd best net mark of the season after the Iowa St game where Jackson was all over the court. Honestly I didn't think he played that poorly against Ok St either, they made a couple tough shots against him and he got called for a couple borderline fouls while contesting. As someone in another thread pointed out, KenPom has Donovan as the 4th best player in the Big East currently... and he plays less than 15 minutes per game. He's 13th in the country in RAPM.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here are the cumulative stats against top 200 competition (Excluding games against Stonehill, BU, and Delaware St.)
uconntop200charting.png

Reaction Score
Here are the cumulative stats against top 200 competition (Excluding games against Stonehill, BU, and Delaware St.)
uconntop200charting.png
Thanks for putting this together :) Did you get this from EvanMiya?

Reaction Score
awesome as always.

i know this is just a hobby of yours, but you could really grow this into your own PFF for college bball.

not exactly sure how their business model works and if there would be any money in it for cbb so that it could sustain itself…

you have your methodology down, just need to get some analysts to crunch film.

Reaction Score
awesome as always.

i know this is just a hobby of yours, but you could really grow this into your own PFF for college bball.

not exactly sure how their business model works and if there would be any money in it for cbb so that it could sustain itself…

you have your methodology down, just need to get some analysts to crunch film.
I appreciate it. As the advice goes, be careful turning your hobbies into work!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom