Officiating | The Boneyard

Officiating

Reaction Score
Let me start with something nice…This has been a great tournament and great experience for UConn that they will benefit from later in the year.

This whole tournament has had the worst officiating I have ever seen, as a point of reference I coach middle school basketball, so we don’t typically get the cream of the crop. Reading DH lips during that MSU game was entertaining to say the least. If Jeff Lucie (I think) never does another UConn game it will be too soon. The VCU game was unwatchable, just absolutely terrible by the officials. I understand VCU was trying to muddy it up, but officials played into it…btw how did no one foul out?

To go 2-1 with that officiating is a good trip! Nice to have UConn back!

Reaction Score
Jamie Lucky deserves prison for the amount of horrendous calls he made.

I thought the other 2 refs weren't terrible. I expect a few bad calls per game from each ref. But Lucky had at least 10 bad calls that game. I mean... just not even close to correct. He's old... needs to retire.

Reaction Score
The no travel on the floor slide about summed things up. Granted with so many missed shots in the VCU game it was hard to officiate as it was always a scramble but there were too many no calls and phantom fouls. It did not help things. I hope this does not go on all season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought the other 2 refs weren't terrible. I expect a few bad calls per game from each ref. But Lucky had at least 10 bad calls that game. I mean... just not even close to correct. He's old... needs to retire.
It’s not even that he made the wrong calls, it’s that he made the wrong calls while not being in position to see the play.

Reaction Score
Let me start with something nice…This has been a great tournament and great experience for UConn that they will benefit from later in the year.

This whole tournament has had the worst officiating I have ever seen, as a point of reference I coach middle school basketball, so we don’t typically get the cream of the crop. Reading DH lips during that MSU game was entertaining to say the least. If Jeff Lucie (I think) never does another UConn game it will be too soon. The VCU game was unwatchable, just absolutely terrible by the officials. I understand VCU was trying to muddy it up, but officials played into it…btw how did no one foul out?

To go 2-1 with that officiating is a good trip! Nice to have UConn back!
I absolutely hate blaming refs for losses or a bad game but i have to concede that the officiating in this tournament was absolutely atrocious!!! Im sure in my 30 years of watching cbb ive seen worse at some point but in recent memory this has to be the worst. I mean there were some easy calls just being blown. Some we benefited from but a couple actually cost us a game. Does anyone know where conferences these striped clowns were from? I hope to never see any of these crews the rest of the season. I cant imagine seeing worst this season and i really hope i dont.

Reaction Score
One thing I want to know about officiating Is how much they are actually held accountable? We hear all the time that refs have a tough job, which they absolutely do, but Its never talked about in depth how they are graded for their performance. As a ref, Is a missed call worse than a wrong call? I ask this because of yesterday’s terrible foul call on Cole. Was the ref more likely to blow the whistle because even though he could have been wrong, It was better than not blowing the whistle at all if there was a slight chance it was a foul?

Reaction Score
It's not a travel unless they try to get up or roll over, assuming they are sliding only on their momentum from grabbing the loose ball.
Jimmy Dykes said it was a travel and he was informing the Refs on rules they were unaware of....so I'll go with Jimmy.

Reaction Score
It was atrocious…yesterday against MSU cost us that game (we didn’t help ourselves but still had the lead with 30 seconds left when that call was made against Cole). Never thought I’d miss Tim Higgins until these last 3 days.

Reaction Score
I don't mind blaming refs. No matter what sport, the players play, the refs make numerous decisions which directly affect the possessions, score, and flow of the game. Refs have a yuge impact on the game. If they blow a call, blame them.

Reaction Score
I missed most of the game yesterday, but the refs were awful in the 2 I saw. And according to the radio announcers it was pretty bad yesterday.

I don't get how a player can gain control or catch the ball in the air and is considered to have possession even though he lands out of bounds, but a player can no longer jump in the air and call timeout.

Reaction Score
It was obvious to all who watched the games how bad the refereeing was, and you could tell Karl Ravech was as annoyed with it as anyone in the building.
It's not a travel unless they try to get up or roll over, assuming they are sliding only on their momentum from grabbing the loose ball.
This is incorrect. It's traveling when a player falls to the floor and gives up his pivot foot.

ETA: you might be correct. It depends if he made a move with the ball.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but on the breakaway for Whaley at the end of OT, shouldn't they have called an intentional foul because the defender shoved him when he was in the air. There was no play on the ball. Just curious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom