Offensive Line | The Boneyard

Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This has been mentioned by a number of other posters since Saturday, but the UConn Offensive Line really deserves a lot of credit for how they played against Houston.

The crew has taken a lot of flack all season because of poor play, but they really stepped up on Saturday.

5 tackles for loss and 0 (ZERO) sacks. This is also after losing Tight End Tommy Myers (critical to the blocking game) on the second drive of the game.

To put that in perspective in the previous two games @ Tulane and vs. ECU, the O-Line gave up 9 Tackles for Loss and 5 sacks.

In a game where there was zero margin of error, with our backup QB in the game, against a nationally-ranked undefeated team, this young group rose to the occasion.

Hat's off to the big boys.

Reaction Score
Its best when you're an OL, that nobody knows your name. The less we read, hear their names and numbers. The better for everybody.

Reaction Score
The line has gotten better over the course of the year. I would like to see a little more competition for the positions and for the back ups to get a few more snaps.

I expect much more from them next year.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Can't believe I'm saying this but the 0 sacks is probably more a credit to Tim Boyle and the playcallers than it was to the OL. TB got rocked by open blitzers several times either right after or as he was delivering a short-drop pass. Our passing plays were also mostly short-route / quick hits or involved a rolling pocket which helped too.

I think if TB was taking 7 step drops and looking for WR's further down the field he would have been rocked on multiple occasions. Far too often, a blitzer just comes in unblocked and we have an OL standing there looking for someone to block in a zone which had no defenders. I'm no expert in OL play but have to imagine that this is due to communication and scheme more than talent?

Reaction Score
Can't believe I'm saying this but the 0 sacks is probably more a credit to Tim Boyle and the playcallers than it was to the OL. TB got rocked by open blitzers several times either right after or as he was delivering a short-drop pass. Our passing plays were also mostly short-route / quick hits or involved a rolling pocket which helped too.

I think if TB was taking 7 step drops and looking for WR's further down the field he would have been rocked on multiple occasions. Far too often, a blitzer just comes in unblocked and we have an OL standing there looking for someone to block in a zone which had no defenders. I'm no expert in OL play but have to imagine that this is due to communication and scheme more than talent?

Boyle did a tremendous job of getting the ball out on time. He was destroyed by defenders multiple times, but he did a great job of reading the defense and getting the ball out on time.

I'm not a big Boyle fan, but watching him the other day it's obvious he's improved a ton. I wonder what he could've been if he had decent offensive coordinators his first two years.

Reaction Score
The line did played better than they did against Tulane. An extra week of practice always seems to help offensive lines. Boyle also help by playing a really good game. He did a great job getting rid of the ball.

Reaction Score
The line has gotten better over the course of the year. I would like to see a little more competition for the positions and for the back ups to get a few more snaps.

I expect much more from them next year.

It's been stated before, but the extra month of practice is probably going to help the Oline the most. Gives the more time to work on communication, reads and blocks. Also gives them an extra month with Balis to get them even bigger.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The line has gelled as the season has moved along as they should. I was unaware until I watched the replay that the same 5 players have started every game. I think they they should be better next year too. Only Samra is a Senior and he would not be a starter, IMO, if Rutherford was ready earlier in the season. It will be interesting to see if Levy is a starter next year. He needs to get quicker and I think he will be pushed by the youngins.

Reaction Score

I agree that Boyle deserves some credit because he really did play very well.

However, he dropped back to pass 22 times, wasn't sacked once and he is not a mobile guy. That's on the O-line.

Reaction Score
Watching live and then a replay I am not as high on the line as you are. Take away the first drive and we struggled to run the ball (maybe because pass was not taken as a serious threat) and there was no time to throw the ball down the field. The line has played better lately and certainly compared to last year it is much better, but in order to make the jump to where we want to be it has to be a lot better than what we see currently.

Reaction Score
Watching live and then a replay I am not as high on the line as you are. Take away the first drive and we struggled to run the ball (maybe because pass was not taken as a serious threat) and there was no time to throw the ball down the field. The line has played better lately and certainly compared to last year it is much better, but in order to make the jump to where we want to be it has to be a lot better than what we see currently.

To be clear I am not claiming that our O-Line is ready to go to the next level.

However, for a unit that most of the year was playing C-, to C football, they definitely stepped up and played B- to B football when it mattered the most and I believe they deserve credit for that.

Reaction Score
To be clear I am not claiming that our O-Line is ready to go to the next level.

However, for a unit that most of the year was playing C-, to C football, they definitely stepped up and played B- to B football when it mattered the most and I believe they deserve credit for that.
I concur....

Reaction Score
What's interesting is that we are the only team in FBS Football that has started the same exact O-Line personnel, in the same positions, from week one until now.

Reaction Score
What's interesting is that we are the only team in FBS Football that has started the same exact O-Line personnel, in the same positions, from week one until now.

Wow, seriously? That is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox