Off topic, Yankee sign stealing was widespread and serious. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Off topic, Yankee sign stealing was widespread and serious.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
But what you're missing is that the new reports are we don't know what the Yankees did because Manfred covered it up

We shall see what gets released. Curious to see how the bullpen phones play into this. But all we have right now is what Tex / other players have said about what the Yankees were doing.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You are obviously a Yankees fan
As long as there is technology there will be attempts by EVERYONE to use it to their advantage
I'm willing to bet that nearly every team used things on the Astro's level to get an advantage in any one or more aspects of the game.

I am a Yankees fan, and don’t doubt that they / the rest of baseball was using technology (like video feeds - Tex said the team used broadcasts for years).

But the difference is how the stolen data was decoded & relayed.

Am I biased? Probably. But I feel that using a computer algo to crack codes and banging on trash cans to send the signs for each pitch is different than using a TV broadcast to decode signs and then relay it only when a runner reaches second base. Could what the Yankees did be more than that? Sure, but it’s only speculation until we see this letter. We know for sure the extent the Astros went to cheat. And as a lifelong baseball fan (and what other players have expressed about what they did) it clearly was way over the line of what would be considered a competitive edge and cheating.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Other than using technology, there are no rules against sign stealing.

It's unbelievable how obvious the Astros' scheme was in retrospect. Teddy KGB had a less conspicuous tell.
'Liked' for the content and more importantly the Rounders reference.

Reaction Score
Real time has impact this is nothing. In case Sox fans can’t read everyone was already doing this as Tex said. Only the Sox and Stro’s were real time cheaters. Fake news but have fun!

Reaction Score
I heard that they are going to ban UConn from any postseason play if there is ever a baseball game again because one of their former players is on the Astros.

Reaction Score
Find it hard to belive that both MLB and Yankees are trying so hard to keep a complete nothingburger covered up. If it's so benign then what are they so afraid of everyone seeing? Is this a preferrential treatment thing that would be embarassing to Manfred? A couple teams have been investigated and penalized. So should any other team that gets caught crossing a similar line. Everyone thinks their own team is squeaky clean and their rivals are cheating devils. It's naive, ridiculous and comical but we are all gulty of it at times to a certain degree.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
When it comes to boring sports, soccer is king.

3 sports on TV over the coourse of my life wanted me to poke my eyes out from boredom. Baseball was never one of them.

1) Soccer
2) Golf (horrible TV sport)
3) And this is distinctive from my childhood. Turning on a college football game in the 70's and finding out at least one of the teams ran the wishbone offense. Oklahoma was the worst but many did it. Id immediately turn game off.

Reaction Score
Sign stealing has been going on since the game was created. It’s not cheating.

Its cheating when you use technology and Apple watches to gain an advantage in real time.

Not sure what's so tough for those questioning it? I mean real time technology is cheating at it's maximum period. And for those Sox fans who didn't read Tex's comment they were doing the same thing as the Yankees and every other team at that point. They just turned it up a few notches in order to create the real time situation with technology like the Astro's.

Is what it is at this point, these greedy bastards aren't even going to see the field this year but who cares.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
As a baseball fan, it is an incredibly boring sport to watch. I will rarely watch any regular season game the Yankees aren't a part of. Baseball recognizes this problem and is trying to implement changes to speed up the game.

In my opinion, what really makes baseball watchable (or unwatchable) on TV is how entertaining the broadcast crew is. And like 70% of the league has just awful and boring guys calling the games. Watching Yankee games on away feeds puts me to sleep.

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
Sign stealing has been going on since the game was created. It’s not cheating.

Its cheating when you use technology and Apple watches to gain an advantage in real time.
It's basically one of baseball's 5000 unwritten rules. Not illegal but if caught, you'll get a fastball to the ribs.

The Astros should be praying the season is cancelled.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
In my opinion, what really makes baseball watchable (or unwatchable) on TV is how entertaining the broadcast crew is. And like 70% of the league has just awful and boring guys calling the games. Watching Yankee games on away feeds puts me to sleep.

That's how I feel about watching the Yankees' announcers on TV. So much dead air.

Then again, I'm spoiled because I'm a Mets fans and our crew is so damn good.

As for the thread subject, if the Yankees did exactly what Teixeira describes then I don't see how anybody can be upset. Obviously relaying the information in real-time is the big issue.

Reaction Score
That's how I feel about watching the Yankees' announcers on TV. So much dead air.

Yankees announcers on TV aren't bad, the radio absolutely blows with John and Suzyn. Not a Michael Kay fan but the rest are fine. Who are the Mets announcers? Gary whats his name still there or Howie Rose? I mean I'll take crappy announcers with winning 100 games a year before I take the Mets baseball. Not sure how "spoiled" you can be? LOL

Reaction Score
When it comes to boring sports, soccer is king.

Soccer is the only sport where action is continuous.

Golf is 1 second of action, 10 seconds of watching, then a minute of nothing.
Tennis is 1-10 seconds of action, then 30 seconds of nothing.
Football is 5 seconds of action and 30 seconds of nothing, plus timeouts and breaks between possessions.
Baseball is 1-6 seconds of action and 30 seconds of nothing, plus breaks between half-innings and pitching changes.
Basketball is maybe up to a few minutes of action at a time, but usually breaks of 10-30 seconds on fouls, out-of-bounds, plus timeouts.
Hockey is mostly continuous, but with stoppages for penalties, timeouts, goalies gloving the puck, pucks into the stands.

Soccer is more or less continuous for 45 minutes at a time, except for injuries (yes, including fake ones). You can argue the action isn't always exciting, but there is very little down time.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yankees announcers on TV aren't bad, the radio absolutely blows with John and Suzyn. Not a Michael Kay fan but the rest are fine. Who are the Mets announcers? Gary whats his name still there or Howie Rose? I mean I'll take crappy announcers with winning 100 games a year before I take the Mets baseball. Not sure how "spoiled" you can be? LOL

You don't have to get so defensive about this, it's pretty well established that the Mets' announcers are better than the Yankees. Obviously the Yankees have a ton more success on the field, though that's not really relevant to what we're talking about?

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score

As for the thread subject, if the Yankees did exactly what Teixeira describes then I don't see how anybody can be upset. Obviously relaying the information in real-time is the big issue.
From a Yankee fan, the Mets announcers are great with Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling.

I can't stand Sterling or Suzie and Kay is starting to get a little opinionated for my liking. He seriously thinks he's a member of the Yankees with some of his comments. Cone, Singleton and O'Neill are great. I enjoy former player commentary vs guys who just like to hear the sound of their own voice.

Reaction Score
You don't have to get so defensive about this, it's pretty well established that the Mets' announcers are better than the Yankees. Obviously the Yankees have a ton more success on the field, though that's not really relevant to what we're talking about?

I wasn't at all defensive not sure where you saw that. And the LOL at the end tells you I'm just having some fun.

If you answered rather than telling me I was defensive I could tell you if you're announcers are good but there is one things for sure, I'm not watching Mets games in WesMass so I have no clue. As an FYI agree completely with Stlh8L8ner on all he said. No doubt Hernandez and Darling are really good but so are O'Neill, Cone and Kenny S. If you have Howie Rose on radio still he's excellent and we're dreadful on radio, the worst. But seeing the names I'm not going to agree with it's "well established" the Mets are better. All are good on TV minus Kay, he's as close to our radio team as anone can get and full of himself.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
3 sports on TV over the course of my life wanted me to poke my eyes out from boredom. Baseball was never one of them.

1) Soccer
2) Golf (horrible TV sport)
3) And this is distinctive from my childhood. Turning on a college football game in the 70's and finding out at least one of the teams ran the wishbone offense. Oklahoma was the worst but many did it. Id immediately turn game off.
I like soccer and appreciate the skill, so I'll disagree with that. Liverpool fan here. To each his own.
I generally find golf tough to watch, but I do enjoy the majors because there's so much on the line. I absolutely love the Ryder Cup Competition. So I watch 4-5 times a year and that's it.
Old NASCAR was entertaining. New corporate homogenized NASCAR is boring.

Reaction Score

Football is 5 seconds of action and 30 seconds of nothing, plus timeouts and breaks between possessions.
Baseball is 1-6 seconds of action and 30 seconds of nothing, plus breaks between half-innings and pitching changes.
Basketball is maybe up to a few minutes of action at a time, but usually breaks of 10-30 seconds on fouls, out-of-bounds, plus timeouts.
Hockey is mostly continuous, but with stoppages for penalties, timeouts, goalies gloving the puck, pucks into the stands.

Soccer is more or less continuous for 45 minutes at a time, except for injuries (yes, including fake ones). You can argue the action isn't always exciting, but there is very little down time.

Soccer is really all about how much you like it. I mean the expertise shown in kicking exactly where they want so often is amazing. I mean they kick it backwards, sideways, leading guys etc etc then it goes nowhere for most of the game because the defenders are really good too. To me overall, it's boring unless it's a huge game for a USA team or World Cup USA. Let people go offsides let's see 25-23 games.

Golf has a new shot every 10 seconds and it's fun to watch the different shots. Never boring unless they are talking about some guy for 5 minutes no one really cares about. May be a little more boring when Tiger isn't in it but if you like golf it's a fun watch especially the majors and Ryder Cup.

Tennis is dreadful, although a great match is ok on occasion but there's very few of those left I would care about. But people that like tennis, I get it.

Football is losing it with replays etc, but still mostly a great watch.

Baseball, I can see where people think it's boring. If you played it and like the detail of the game it's ok but even for me 9 innings is tough unless its the Yanks Sox or the playoffs.

Basketball is pretty damn solid, especially college. Good watch if you're a fan of a team and even some I'm not pretty much non stop minus too many TO's and fouls, replays.

Hockey is constant action for the most part maybe the best of all, especially playoff hockey its tremendous to watch.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I wasn't at all defensive not sure where you saw that. And the LOL at the end tells you I'm just having some fun.

If you answered rather than telling me I was defensive I could tell you if you're announcers are good but there is one things for sure, I'm not watching Mets games in WesMass so I have no clue. As an FYI agree completely with Stlh8L8ner on all he said. No doubt Hernandez and Darling are really good but so are O'Neill, Cone and Kenny S. If you have Howie Rose on radio still he's excellent and we're dreadful on radio, the worst. But seeing the names I'm not going to agree with it's "well established" the Mets are better. All are good on TV minus Kay, he's as close to our radio team as anone can get and full of himself.

Gary Cohen is our PBP guy on TV, his chemistry with Keith and Ron is what makes them so good. And yeah Howie is fantastic, he's probably my favorite broadcaster of them all. Really captures the energy of the game on the radio which isn't easy to do.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

I suppose the action is there, but in kind of a futile, frustrating way. I dislike hockey for the same reason.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I loved when Jim Kaat was with the Yankees. Always felt like I gained insight when he and Singleton worked together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom