Off Topic: Tour de France starts tomorrow. | The Boneyard

Off Topic: Tour de France starts tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Should be interesting from many points of view. No Fromme or Thomas make it seem like an open competition for the yellow jersey. Starting this late in the year could mean very unexpected weather in the Alps including chances of snow. And what role will Covid play in the peloton. Many teams have added substitute riders in the case of positive tests. Here's an article on the virus protocol.

Reaction Score
Cool, which doper can beat out all of the other dopers? Tune in to find out!

Kidding.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I hope they can complete the Tour, but I would not bet on it. The peloton is not a safe place if one or more riders have the virus. I'd give the tour about a 33% chance of making it to Paris.

Reaction Score
Cool, which doper can beat out all of the other dopers? Tune in to find out!

Kidding.
Same can be said about sports in general. I did chuckle when cycling reported a “suspicious” Covid test result

Reaction Score
Will it still be broadcast on NBC sports network? After UConn basketball, this is my favorite event to watch

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Will it still be broadcast on NBC sports network? After UConn basketball, this is my favorite event to watch
It's on now. They just rode by the beach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I finally cracked. It has to be dog track time for Phil, right?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I finally cracked. It has to be dog track time for Phil, right?

No.

He’s calling a race where the competitors are strung out over miles and he is in a different country getting a broadcast feed of whatever they feel like showing him at the moment. And from that, he needs to figure out who he is seeing based on a helicopter shot.

You need to be punched for even thinking this.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But he was the same last year. And the year before that...

Reaction Score
He’s been doing it forever. Must be difficult with very little consistency of team personnel year to year and the riders all look the same. Disc brakes and impact wrench wheel changes are new to me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But he was the same last year. And the year before that...

This will shock you, apparently, but calling a bike race always has the same logistical issues.....the race is 125 miles long. He’s not jogging alongside the race for the street-level call.

Ever see the coverage of the Grand National? They have like five different sets of race callers who hand off the call because the race is four and a half miles long.

NBC has one Phil and then let him handle the entire 125 miles.

There is a place for people who insult Phil and that place is called Hell.

Reaction Score
I love Phil and think he is phenomenal. I also think very highly of rest of crew especially Bob and Chris. The motorcycle on-race reporter hasn’t won me over yet, he is hard for me to understand what he is saying, might be mask or his accent. I miss the German ex-rider who used to be commentator- Jans?- he had good insight.
I love the history & cultural things that are mentioned as they go through the towns too. Maybe they could have a few short segments on local wine & food also. It is a goal of mine to see live a stage- how I’d love to camp for a week with the other crazies on these mountain stages, eating & drinking with new friends!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
NBC’s team is great.

Again, the race call is a logistical nightmare.

It’s a four-hour event where nothing notable is happening 90% of the time. Not a single viewer would survive a race call with the contents of Phil and Bob’s heads making it interesting.

When something is happening...like a race to the summit or a sprint at the end, neither man can actually see the line nor do they really know how far away it is from the racers. They are not there - they are completely dependent on the feed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is a place for people who insult Phil and that place is called Hell.
I have to turn the sound off to get through a stage. It's not a choice.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I mute all other sporting events (I started this during a bball game called by Dick Vitale and enjoyed the game more without sound) EXCEPT for the Tour de France. Phil does a superb job. I miss his sidekick Paul Sherwin, who died last year, but Bobko is getting better.

Phil is the best.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have to turn the sound off to get through a stage. It's not a choice.

First, no, you don’t.

You would not have the beginning of a clue as to what was happening without sound. You might as well go to the rail trail and watch people ride by on bikes for all you’d be able to decipher without the race call.

Second, you are going to Hell.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
First, no, you don’t.

You would not have the beginning of a clue as to what was happening without sound. You might as well go to the rail trail and watch people ride by on bikes for all you’d be able to decipher without the race call.

Second, you are going to Hell.
I can wait for Phil to shut up and listen to Bob and new guy on the back of the motorcycle to tell me what I need to know. This is twice now you sent me to to hell. Once you wished me physical harm. Because I mentioned the elephant in the room. Not funny anymore.

Reaction Score
I mute all other sporting events (I started this during a bball game called by Dick Vitale and enjoyed the game more without sound) EXCEPT for the Tour de France. Phil does a superb job. I miss his sidekick Paul Sherwin, who died last year, but Bobko is getting better.

Phil is the best.
Whoa didn’t know about Paul. Always enjoyed Bobs commentary and him being on 7/11 team which was broadcast on ABC in mid 80s.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Pretty good finish today. Was pulling for Richie Port but the last chase near the top cracked him a little.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
If you haven't read Bob's book ("Bobke"), you should. It's pretty entertaining. Fun fact: Bobke used to own the house we currently live in.

Reaction Score
Well, it's basically turned into the Slovenian Bicycle National Championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom