October UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

October UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ok time to get to something of semi-substance maybe.
Will Aaliyah get to keep the yellow streaks in her hair when she signs with UCONN?
Is that going to make Stefanie Dolson mad?

I would imagine there are enough colors and/or shades to satisfy both ;).

Although -- now you have me thinking -- what shade does one bring into complement UConn's blue and white? Maybe Megan Walker, with her fashion chops, can advise....:)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would imagine there are enough colors and/or shades to satisfy both ;).

Although -- now you have me thinking -- what shade does one bring into complement UConn's blue and white? Maybe Megan Walker, with her fashion chops, can advise....:)

red/white/blue.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno accepted a compromise on tatoos by having his players cover them with physio-tape during games. Perhaps he will have Edwards wear a hat to cover her colorful locks. :rolleyes:

JS

Reaction Score
There have been some, though I can’t think of them off the top of my head.
Can still picture recruits posing at the 2003 Supershow. Charde, Mel, and . . . the only one not smiling . . . Crystal Langhorne.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno accepted a compromise on tatoos by having his players cover them with physio-tape during games. Perhaps he will have Edwards wear a hat to cover her colorful locks. :rolleyes:
I struggling with the bolded phrase, at best this is an oxymoron. Right @Carnac ? Anyhow, Is UCONN the only WCBB program to maintain this policy? Is it time to perhaps reconsider in light of stories like the Penn State hair incident below? We recently had a thread on tattoos and judging from some of the post many would probably answer no. However if UCONN is the only school then might the program be at risk of losing out on a promising recruit because of this policy?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I struggling with the bolded phrase, at best this is an oxymoron. Right @Carnac ? Anyhow, Is UCONN the only WCBB program to maintain this policy? Is it time to perhaps reconsider in light of stories like the Penn State hair incident below? We recently had a thread on tattoos and judging from some of the post many would probably answer no. However if UCONN is the only school then might the program be at risk of losing out on a promising recruit because of this policy?
A comment and a story. I think Geno is moderating his views over time, and would likely accept Edwards with her colored locks. After all, women and, to a lesser extent, men have been coloring their hair for decades. I suspect that CD, Shea and Jasmine would all have some input into this issue. I also wouldn't be surprised if Geno uses something like "A Touch of Gray" to create that distinguished coiffure of his.

I am also reminded of another issue that was just starting to be debated when I was in HS in the early 70's. At that time, the issue was facial hair, hopefully just with male athletes. There was a successful football coach by the name of Nick Nicolaou at the University of Bridgeport, back when UB had a football program. Nicolaou had a rather unique take on the issue, basically stating that, "If you have a mustache and I recruit you, you can keep the mustache, but there will be no mustaches grown on my time."

Aaliyah seems like a hard worker and a nice young lady. She has a tremendous upside. Perhaps Geno will moderate his views once again to accept a player who is a little bit unique in her appearance.

Reaction Score
A comment and a story. I think Geno is moderating his views over time, and would likely accept Edwards with her colored locks. After all, women and, to a lesser extent, men have been coloring their hair for decades. I suspect that CD, Shea and Jasmine would all have some input into this issue. I also wouldn't be surprised if Geno uses something like "A Touch of Gray" to create that distinguished coiffure of his.

I am also reminded of another issue that was just starting to be debated when I was in HS in the early 70's. At that time, the issue was facial hair, hopefully just with male athletes. There was a successful football coach by the name of Nick Nicolaou at the University of Bridgeport, back when UB had a football program. Nicolaou had a rather unique take on the issue, basically stating that, "If you have a mustache and I recruit you, you can keep the mustache, but there will be no mustaches grown on my time."

Aaliyah seems like a hard worker and a nice young lady. She has a tremendous upside. Perhaps Geno will moderate his views once again to accept a player who is a little bit unique in her appearance.
Let’s just get her on board and figure out her hair color later.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
This is a thing? Seriously? I can't really remember visible tattoos on our women's players, so I'm not sure whether Tara has a rule on tattoos per se, but our women's players have been coloring their hair for ages, including, most recently, Dijonai Carrington sporting Cardinal red in her official Stanford photos:

I'm sure Stanford would be happy to take any and all top 20 recruits who are seeking freedom for their locks!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is a thing? Seriously? I can't really remember visible tattoos on our women's players, so I'm not sure whether Tara has a rule on tattoos per se, but our women's players have been coloring their hair for ages, including, most recently, Dijonai Carrington sporting Cardinal red in her official Stanford photos:

I'm sure Stanford would be happy to take any and all top 20 recruits who are seeking freedom for their locks!

I like her as a player. When I hear her name, I think of this:

1571160518673.png

Reaction Score
'The next step of the Olympic qualifying process Canada is hosting a tournament in Edmonton coming up in November.

Edwards has to wait to receive an invitation to that tournament and said she doesn’t want to get ahead of herself thinking of playing in the Olympics.

“Honestly my focus is just being here in this moment but of course an opportunity to represent Canada at the highest level of competition such as the Olympics would be incredible,” she said. “One step at a time though.”'

I could think of a good first step that might help. ;)

My wish would be that Kia Nurse could hold her hand in making that "first step"!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Edwards' purple and gold streaks are for her love of the Lakers though really for her love of Kobe Bryant. Considering Kobe's favorite women's team is UConn, I think she might be willing to drop the streaks to play for the program. And with UConn's professional attire rules--both during games and otherwise--I don't see her showing off those colors at Storrs, if she comes.

Reaction Score

I would have to believe that it's been discussed at least once since he started recruiting her, especially by C. Dailey. And since she's coming to the First Night circus I'd assume an agreement has been reached, one way or another.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Did Aaliyah Boston make it to First Night last year?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No. Her official visit was early Nov.

It seems very early in her recruiting (Sophomore), she did according to this article

'On Oct. 14, she made her first trip to the University of Connecticut and took in the Huskies' annual First Night program at Gampel Pavilion. '

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It seems very early in her recruiting (Sophomore), she did according to this article

'On Oct. 14, she made her first trip to the University of Connecticut and took in the Huskies' annual First Night program at Gampel Pavilion. '

Right, but the question was about last year.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The narrative on Mir says that she may be the best rebounder in the class--better than Brink, Cardosa, or Gusters. She combines explosiveness, timing, and determination. Reminds me of Kalana Greene. I'll go watch her in December.

I would not have guessed that an explosive leaper like Gabby W would come along again so soon but that *just might* be the case with Mir. Not a certainty , but as the magic 8-ball says, “Indications say Yes.” Like certain beers, she is very, very hoppy.:D

Can’t wait to see how close she comes to the Gabulous One in that regard! Plus she seems like an all-around gem of a young lady!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
A couple more Edwards questions.

I know that her coming to First Night with the other commits is good news. What is the guess at the level of optimism?

I know Edwards keeps things close to the vest. What are the main schools of interest competing for her services?

IMO, from what I have seen, she is a monster. Really athletic for someone her size.

Reaction Score
A couple more Edwards questions.

I know that her coming to First Night with the other commits is good news. What is the guess at the level of optimism?

I know Edwards keeps things close to the vest. What are the main schools of interest competing for her services?

IMO, from what I have seen, she is a monster. Really athletic for someone her size.
She's been so far under the radar that outside of her family and friends I don't think anyone knows her schools of interest. However, if her trip to UConn less than a month before the early signing period will be her first and only public recruiting appearance so far, that says a lot to me about her interest.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yeah, we know some of the schools in on Edwards:

Mississippi State, North Carolina, Maryland, and UCLA

Louisville was for a long time but appears to be out now.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we know some of the schools in on Edwards:

Mississippi State, North Carolina, Maryland, and UCLA

Louisville was for a long time but appears to be out now.
Isn't MS State at about scholarship max right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom