Observations from Morrone Stadium | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Observations from Morrone Stadium

Reaction Score
No, but for it to be feasible to hold it at the Rent we would need considerably larger crowds for the event than we've had.

No. Not really. It's a question of whether the game is valuable enough to offset the cost of playing the game. There are very few schools that charge fans for the spring game so attendance that is obviously not the reason that universities have spring games. Larger crowds would be desirable, sure. But they are not the driver.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Unimportant to this discussion, there are a few programs that do sell tickets to spring games (I know there are at least half a dozen SEC schools, a minimum of three B1G schools and at least two that are currently outside those two conferences).

The point is that until we start drawing crowds for this event, it doesn't make sense to incur costs required to utilize a 40,000 seat stadium. I am not proposing that we ever charge for tickets and in all candor I am optimistic that we will reach the point where we cannot seat everyone in our soccer stadium. It just is something that needs to be ingrained in the culture and at the moment we don't have it ingrained in our culture.

Reaction Score
Unimportant to this discussion, there are a few programs that do sell tickets to spring games (I know there are at least half a dozen SEC schools, a minimum of three B1G schools and at least two that are currently outside those two conferences).

The point is that until we start drawing crowds for this event, it doesn't make sense to incur costs required to utilize a 40,000 seat stadium. I am not proposing that we ever charge for tickets and in all candor I am optimistic that we will reach the point where we cannot seat everyone in our soccer stadium. It just is something that needs to be ingrained in the culture and at the moment we don't have it ingrained in our culture.

You're right. Alabama sells tickets ($5), Michigan doesn't. For those schools, they make so much money they can do whatever they want. Nice neighborhood if you're in it.

But as I said. It's a question of whether the game is valuable enough to offset the cost of playing the game. What I'm trying to say is that are other ways rather than attendance to judge the value of the game. Your last sentence sets up a chicken and egg scenario. What comes first, the ingrained culture or the events that help create the culture?

Reaction Score
Some years I dressed in ski clothes and sat in the snow, some years in shorts and sunscreen. Always enjoyed it. Like skiing at Tuckerman's Ravine, always drank some beer and enjoyed it immensely. But it was more like a real game, and they weren't playing really loud music during the game action.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As time went on though more and more changes were made. Red shirts on the qbs. No kick offs. No punt returns (I think Bob D thought that rule carried over to the regular season).
:D

CL82

Reaction Score

Yep, keep it at Marrone until it is a full house for a few years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Very Jeff Hathaway of you.
Do you think there isn't a cost to the school to hold this event at Rentschler field? I imagine the cost reaches six figures and it would be fiscally irresponsible to undertake this for a couple thousand fans (it that).

Yes, I absolutely want to see the program reaching heights close to what our basketball program has reached and I still believe that a successful program could fill a 60k-65k stadium on a consistent basis if built and maintained properly. I don't however believe anything positive can come from holding a spring scrimmage game in a stadium that will have 38k+ empty seats on display for players and the few fans who show up for the game.

CL82

Reaction Score
Very Jeff Hathaway of you.
No, Jeff Hathaway would’ve sent an email out to season-ticket holders, telling them that they could attend the spring game event for $75.

Reaction Score
Do you think there isn't a cost to the school to hold this event at Rentschler field? I imagine the cost reaches six figures and it would be fiscally irresponsible to undertake this for a couple thousand fans (it that).

Yes, I absolutely want to see the program reaching heights close to what our basketball program has reached and I still believe that a successful program could fill a 60k-65k stadium on a consistent basis if built and maintained properly. I don't however believe anything positive can come from holding a spring scrimmage game in a stadium that will have 38k+ empty seats on display for players and the few fans who show up for the game.
Meh ... somewhere in the $25K to $50K range I would guess. Maybe a bit more but not much. Staffing would be minimal. Field would have to be prepared. Things cleaned up afterwards.

Reaction Score
It's a question of whether the game is valuable enough to offset the cost of playing the game. That may -or may not- be related to attendance.

Is that really so hard to understand?

Reaction Score
Meh ... somewhere in the $25K to $50K range I would guess. Maybe a bit more but not much. Staffing would be minimal. Field would have to be prepared. Things cleaned up afterwards.
It would cost more than that just for LAZ.

Reaction Score
I don't recall much parking presence at all at the spring games at the Rent. Maybe 20 people max. Students and retirees wearing yellow vests making minimum or volunteering.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The event at the school is proper as the students should be part of it and some were there.

Old man complaint. The damn music was too loud.

I liked everything about it though I did see one injury to a linebacker who I hope is okay

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom