Notre Dame vs. South Carolina in France! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame vs. South Carolina in France!

Reaction Score
I've often wondered if the Citroen car was named after the fruit. :D

And who do you think will win the pronunciation game? Will the announcer pronounce Notre Dame the American way and have the French audience booing the whole time, or will the ND fans and team be shouting "long A" the whole game?
Hey, I have a Citroën! It’s been very reliable, as French cars are these days. Citroën is the name of the guy who started the company.

I might go up to Paris to see the game if I have time.

Reaction Score
Hey, I have a Citroën! It’s been very reliable, as French cars are these days. Citroën is the name of the guy who started the company.

Can you still drive them in a lake like you could in the 60s?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A funny thought. No, we can’t.
That was the thing about Citroens in the 60's -- they tried to do everything, and when you try to do everything, there's a zero probability that it's all working at the same time. They were very innovative, enough so that Maserati collaborated with them.

A little more thread drift: There was an episode of Car Talk that had Daniel Pinkwater espousing his "Conservation of Misery." Pinkwater was a notorious fan of French cars and often talked of his automotive woes. His theory of the conservation of misery went something like this: Ones luck in other aspects of life is proportional to the number of French cars he owns. If you own one, you'll find money on the sidewalk, if you own two from different makers, you'll win at poker; if you own one each from Renault, Pugeot, and Citroen, you'll win the lottery.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. . .

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I had a Peugeot when I was in grad school. It was a fun and cool car with at least 2 major design flaws: (1) The rear window defogger was on a separate circuit, so it had to be turned off when the engine was turned off, or else the battery would die. This happened at least once. (2) The fan belt had 90-degree bend in it, so it would break every 15-20K miles. Because the car was rather rare, it was hard to find a place to have it fixed. I learned to carry a spare fan belt, which was just crazy.

Reaction Score
I had a Peugeot when I was in grad school. It was a fun and cool car with at least 2 major design flaws: (1) The rear window defogger was on a separate circuit, so it had to be turned off when the engine was turned off, or else the battery would die. This happened at least once. (2) The fan belt had 90-degree bend in it, so it would break every 15-20K miles. Because the car was rather rare, it was hard to find a place to have it fixed. I learned to carry a spare fan belt, which was just crazy.
Thanks for the story. I suspect French cars had a quirky charm, or maybe just a bad reputation, when they were still available in the United States. French cars now are reliable and sell well across Europe. Here in France, Peugeot is the best-selling brand. The four best-selling brands in France are French.

As this is a basketball forum, I need to say something about basketball. Lou has been getting some press here, which is great. There is also a French site called Swish Swish (Accueil) that is devoted to the WNBA but also includes articles about WCBB. It did this interview of Lou a couple months ago. She had no idea that she was going to be a top draft pick. I should have posted this on the regular UConn wbb board. C’est la vie.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Surprised you can remember a meal from way back in 2016.

I remember having a big thick juicy steak on July 8th, 1986 at the antlers hotel restaurant in Colorado Springs. So remembering i had a burger and chicken sandwich after Duke beat Lower Carolina in 2016 is child's play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom