Notre Dame vs. Michigan State | The Boneyard

Notre Dame vs. Michigan State

Reaction Score
So far thru the middle of the 4th quarter, it appears to be the Sonia Citron game, as the heralded Freshman from Westchester County, New York (Ursuline Academy) and the 2 time, back to back, Gatorade New York State Player of the Year, has 20 points so far. More so than Mabrey, Citron is one player that UCONN needs to focus on stopping on Sunday.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Who was the player from Virginia who went to Notre Dame after UConn offered her and then (apparently) wouldn't accept her commitment? It was thought that her father was posting to this board during that process.

Is she still at Notre Dame? If so, I've been watching most of the second half of tonight's game and haven't seen her enter the game. I remember she was a starter for ND two years ago when they played UConn.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sam Brunelle is the player whose name I was trying to remember. I think I saw her among the bench players at the end of the game. As I recall, she was rated a Top 10 (maybe Top 5) player coming out of high school. It's somewhat sad to see her on the bench, and not getting into a competitive game.

Reaction Score
Who was the player from Virginia who went to Notre Dame after UConn offered her and then (apparently) wouldn't accept her commitment? It was thought that her father was posting to this board during that process.

Is she still at Notre Dame? If so, I've been watching most of the second half of tonight's game and haven't seen her enter the game. I remember she was a starter for ND two years ago when they played UConn.
I am new here! Can you explain this? I’m interested but confused

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Brunelle's had a bunch of injuries in the last four years. She's had some good games, but it seems like she just hasn't been able to maintain a head of steam.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I am new here! Can you explain this? I’m interested but confused
Sam Brunelle was at one point ESPN's #1 ranked player in the class of 2019 and had significant recruiting interest from UConn. That interest dried up in early 2018 and Sam committed to Notre Dame in April 2018. In the news articles about her commitment, the Connecticut media reported that she did not have an offer from UConn.

Beyond that, what exactly happened is unclear. I don't know whether she had an offer at one point that was subsequently withdrawn or whether she simply had interest from UConn that never matured into an offer.

I believe the prevailing BY rumor of the time was that she was prepared to commit to UConn, but when she reached out to verify that she had a UConn offer, it was communicated to her (either explicitly or implicitly) that she did not.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A few of us @Dillon77 predicted good things for Citron at ND. Personally I didn't think those good things would come this fast but here we are. Full disclosure: If on Sunday she plays like she did tonight I'll jump off the bandwagon so fast I might sprain both ankles.

Reaction Score
Michigan State lost to Saint Francis of Brooklyn. I don't think that is consistent with being a very good team.
That's fair however they're also down 2 starters for the season. Doesn't fully excuse them, however Ozment and Aryault's play does bring a different energy to the team.

In fairness I thought ND would establish a 15-20 point differential by the end of the game based on previous games. I'll give them credit for competing and making it a game last night.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sam Brunelle was at one point ESPN's #1 ranked player in the class of 2019 and had significant recruiting interest from UConn. That interest dried up in early 2018 and Sam committed to Notre Dame in April 2018. In the news articles about her commitment, the Connecticut media reported that she did not have an offer from UConn.

Beyond that, what exactly happened is unclear. I don't know whether she had an offer at one point that was subsequently withdrawn or whether she simply had interest from UConn that never matured into an offer.

I believe the prevailing BY rumor of the time was that she was prepared to commit to UConn, but when she reached out to verify that she had a UConn offer, it was communicated to her (either explicitly or implicitly) that she did not.
I believe it was one member of the Connecticut media (Mike Anthony) who reported that Brunelle did not have an offer from UConn. Still not sure that’s accurate but Geno clearly wanted to go in a different direction.

Too bad Fudd isn’t healthy. Would be fun seeing the trio on the court together. I can’t help but remember the doom and gloom posts from certain posters predicting Bueckers and Fudd would follow Brunelle to ND. Things worked out fine for both programs.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is coming, I'm a big fan of Ivey. What's funny is at 1st some ppl did not like the hire. She can recruit like crazy. Muffet made a good choice in giving her the reigns. Her son is on the Purdue basketball team and he is the player of the year imo, and they have a legit shot to win the ntl title.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I believe it was one member of the Connecticut media (Mike Anthony) who reported that Brunelle did not have an offer from UConn. Still not sure that’s accurate but Geno clearly wanted to go in a different direction.

Too bad Fudd isn’t healthy. Would be fun seeing the trio on the court together. I can’t help but remember the doom and gloom posts from certain posters predicting Bueckers and Fudd would follow Brunelle to ND. Things worked out fine for both programs.
Yes, it was Mike Anthony. I couldn't remember the name.

It did work out fine for both programs but I certainly wouldn't have minded Azzi and Paige at ND.

I absolutely love Citron, though so I don't want to imagine any alternate reality where she chooses another school.

Actually the ND recruiting "what if?" that still bothers me is Caitlin Clark.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes, it was Mike Anthony. I couldn't remember the name.

It did work out fine for both programs but I certainly wouldn't have minded Azzi and Paige at ND.

I absolutely love Citron, though so I don't want to imagine any alternate reality where she chooses another school.

Actually the ND recruiting "what if?" that still bothers me is Caitlin Clark.

Bothers? I should be so lucky...as a fan, it really depressed me. :eek:

And then -- irony of ironies -- who does Sonia play with this summer for the U.S.A.? Caitlin Clark, of course. And she does her usual job of knowing how to complement Clark's style (not to mention Diamond Johnson) in a way that the team benefits.

Citron can play with anyone. The question is will her teammates (any players, not specifically ND) play with her? Miles gets it: note the picture perfect bounce-pass dimes to a cutting Sonia. Heck, even Maya Dodson (prodded by Mabrey) knew Citron would be cutting off an offensive rebound.

Still, I could just as easily see Clark making these bounce passes. Caitlin respects talent when she sees it.

Sigh. Onwards. I'm very happy with the progress of Sonia, Olivia and Nat Marshall, who is starting to show her stuff as well.

Reaction Score
Bothers? I should be so lucky...as a fan, it really depressed me. :eek:

And then -- irony of ironies -- who does Sonia play with this summer for the U.S.A.? Caitlin Clark, of course. And she does her usual job of knowing how to complement Clark's style (not to mention Diamond Johnson) in a way that the team benefits.

Citron can play with anyone. The question is will her teammates (any players, not specifically ND) play with her? Miles gets it: note the picture perfect bounce-pass dimes to a cutting Sonia. Heck, even Maya Dodson (prodded by Mabrey) knew Citron would be cutting off an offensive rebound.

Still, I could just as easily see Clark making these bounce passes. Caitlin respects talent when she sees it.

Sigh. Onwards. I'm very happy with the progress of Sonia, Olivia and Nat Marshall, who is starting to show her stuff as well.
Why wouldn't they would be my question? From anything I've seen since her U-16 days, I'd be surprised if her team mates wouldn't want to.

Miles obviously knows how to play with her thanks to their days with USAB, but this roster doesn't seem to be a group that wouldn't want to leverage all of their talents to me. If this doesn't turn out to be the case, I'd be very disappointed as a ND fan.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
A few of us @Dillon77 predicted good things for Citron at ND. Personally I didn't think those good things would come this fast but here we are. Full disclosure: If on Sunday she plays like she did tonight I'll jump off the bandwagon so fast I might sprain both ankles.
I continue to be struck by her composure and focus. It's not a surprise that she's around the ball both offensively, defensively and in unsettled situations.

Citron is not a selfish player (she was 9-12 last night from the field and 8-8 from the FT line) and will take what the defense gives her. Michigan State gave her a lot: back door cuts were unguarded and MSU defenders continually cut under screens allowing her to set her feet on jumpers. The good news for ND fans is it will give her confidence in the three-point shot.

BTW, when ND went man in the 2nd half, Citron -- even though she was often playing the 4, a la Cori Close from the summer -- was covering the lightning quick Clouden. Yes, Clouden finished with 20 but shot 4-15 and 1-6 from three.

Who knows what will happen against UConn. If Maddy's hot, Sonia will feed her. Ditto Dara. Leave her open to move to open spots....watch out.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't they would be my question? From anything I've seen since her U-16 days, I'd be surprised if her team mates wouldn't want to.

Miles obviously knows how to play with her thanks to their days with USAB, but this roster doesn't seem to be a group that wouldn't want to leverage all of their talents to me. If this doesn't turn out to be the case, I'd be very disappointed as a ND fan.

I tried to explain that I'm not focusing on ND players, per se, but perhaps that didn't get through. Many players -- whether they're with ND or on an all-star-laden international team -- are looking for their shot or drive with their heads down. Or the pass gets delivered too late. It's not a given. And that's muddied a bit when ISO's are brought into play, as they are at ND.

Miles, Clark, Sam Brunelle, (increasingly) Mabrey, see the cutters, Citron being the most prominent. It's just a matter of getting used to looking -- and delivering -- it.

Reaction Score
29 Points from Sonia Citron. Incredible performance against a very good Michigan State team
Michigan State is nice but that game against Notre Dame did not show a good Michigan State team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Michigan State is nice but that game against Notre Dame did not show a good Michigan State team.
I have seen Michigan State twice and they rely too much on Clouden on offense. In both games they were unimpressive and they lost both.

Reaction Score
Lol Coco. I love your enthusiasm, but you’ve got to calm down. Everyone needs you to remain healthy, even if you’ll be temporarily cheering for ND.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Quote from Citron

“I’m really excited, especially because it’s my first time against UConn, and especially that it’s away. I know the atmosphere is going to be crazy.” — Sonia Citron, ND freshman, on Sunday’s game, which will take place about two hours from her hometown of Eastchester, N.Y.

Was she ever on UConn Radar being a New Yorker?

Reaction Score
Quote from Citron

“I’m really excited, especially because it’s my first time against UConn, and especially that it’s away. I know the atmosphere is going to be crazy.” — Sonia Citron, ND freshman, on Sunday’s game, which will take place about two hours from her hometown of Eastchester, N.Y.

Don't know if Sonia Citron was ever on Geno's radar, given that he already had sights on Azzi, Caroline, and Amari. But, knowing then, what is known now about Citron's game, I would caroline ducharmethat Geno would have done things differently, as it relates to recruiting (maybe Citron before Ducharme)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Quote from Citron

Briefly as I recall @Sluconn Husky or @UConnCat might remember more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom