Notre Dame targeting $75 million annual media rights payout in quest to remain independent (Dodd) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame targeting $75 million annual media rights payout in quest to remain independent (Dodd)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The big football schools have always had more resources, but the money tends to go back into football. Basketball, not so much. Notre Dame has been to 1 Final Four in school history. Same with Texas and Penn State. Oklahoma has been to 2. LSU to 3. Alabama, Auburn, Miami, Nebraska, and USC, none. Not a NC in the bunch
So you’re asserting that there hasn’t been an upward trend in salaries for anything other than football for P5 schools?
I don’t know why it is, but college basketball coaches seem to have their biggest runs earlier in their careers before they hit the big money. You can buy big names, but you can’t necessarily buy success.
So, your optimization strategy is don’t hire successful people because they may not be able to replicate their success?

Interesting take.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why it is, but college basketball coaches seem to have their biggest runs earlier in their careers before they hit the big money. You can buy big names, but you can’t necessarily buy success.

The big football schools have always had more resources, but the money tends to go back into football. Basketball, not so much. Notre Dame has been to 1 Final Four in school history. Same with Texas and Penn State. Oklahoma has been to 2. LSU to 3. Alabama, Auburn, Miami, Nebraska, and USC, none. Not a NC in the bunch
On the other hand you have Ohio State (11/1)Michigan (18/1)Michigan State(10/2), Wisconsin (4/1)Arkansas(6/1) Florida ( 5/2)Arizona(4/1)some school from the west coast, ULAC…CLAU…oh yeah, UCLA ( 19/11). In part, the SEC schools, Texas, Penn State, they really didn’t put much emphasis on basketball until fairly recently. I once heard Abe Lemon talk about coaching at Texas. Now Abe was a colorful character, but he said Texas fans didn’t really know how to cheer for basketball when he got there. Basketball at a lot of the SEC and Big 12 schools, though not Kentucky and Kansas obviously, was something to fill the time between the end of football season and the start of spring football. Basketball was largely an urban/coastal sport, with most top programs in the northeast, the upper Midwest and the west coast. Not so much in the south or southwest.

Reaction Score
So you’re asserting that there hasn’t been an upward trend in salaries for anything other than football for P5 schools?

So, your optimization strategy is don’t hire successful people because they may not be able to replicate their success?

Interesting take.
Nope. Hire top coaching talent when they’re on the way up as we did with Calhoun. Ignore the facts at your own risk.

Reaction Score
On the other hand you have Ohio State (11/1)Michigan (18/1)Michigan State(10/2), Wisconsin (4/1)Arkansas(6/1) Florida ( 5/2)Arizona(4/1)some school from the west coast, ULAC…CLAU…oh yeah, UCLA ( 19/11). In part, the SEC schools, Texas, Penn State, they really didn’t put much emphasis on basketball until fairly recently. I once heard Abe Lemon talk about coaching at Texas. Now Abe was a colorful character, but he said Texas fans didn’t really know how to cheer for basketball when he got there. Basketball at a lot of the SEC and Big 12 schools, though not Kentucky and Kansas obviously, was something to fill the time between the end of football season and the start of spring football. Basketball was largely an urban/coastal sport, with most top programs in the northeast, the upper Midwest and the west coast. Not so much in the south or southwest.
Ohio State won its NC more than 60 years ago.

Wisconsin won theirs in 1941 for goodness sakes when the NCAA tournament wasn’t even considered the undisputed national champion. The NIT was the bigger tournament at that point.

I don’t know what your first number in parentheses refers to, but UCLA, for example, has an overall losing record in bowl games. I don’t think of them as a big football power any more. Same with Arizona.

Florida, Arkansas, and Michigan State would be legitimate cases but they’re really exceptions.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Ohio State won its NC more than 60 years ago.

Wisconsin won theirs in 1941 for goodness sakes when the NCAA tournament wasn’t even considered the undisputed national champion. The NIT was the bigger tournament at that point.

I don’t know what your first number in parentheses refers to, but UCLA, for example, has an overall losing record in bowl games. I don’t think of them as a big football power any more. Same with Arizona.

Florida, Arkansas, and Michigan State would be legitimate cases but they’re really exceptions.

A championship in 1989, finals game in 2013 and a couple of final 4’s and several sweet 16’s since don’t count? That’s better than many of the basketball powers out there. Just sayin

Reaction Score
A championship in 1989, finals game in 2013 and a couple of final 4’s and several sweet 16’s since don’t count? That’s better than many of the basketball powers out there. Just sayin
Who are you talking about? Michigan won the NC in ‘89.

Reaction Score
Of course they count. But my point was that programs that win multiple basketball championships - 3 or more - have all been schools with mediocre football programs.

Reaction Score
Of course they count. But my point was that programs that win multiple basketball championships - 3 or more - have all been schools with mediocre football programs. It’s hard to excel repeatedly in both sports for some reason.

Reaction Score
Of course they count. But my point was that programs that win multiple basketball championships - 3 or more - have all been schools with mediocre football programs. It’s hard to excel repeatedly in both sports for some reason.

Ugh...I hate to recognize that the Florida Gators are the only program that has won the football and basketball national championships in the same year. They like to bray that distinction.

Reaction Score

Correct. Men's basketball is pretty much treated as a minor sport by ND.

It is just something to watch in the winter between football season and the beginning of spring practice.

Many ND football fans are fans of other basketball programs.

ND basketball plays in an arena built in 1968.

ND didn't even have a dedicated basketball practice facility until a few years ago when donors stepped up.

Mike Brey had been begging for it for years. He had to wait.

Given those limitations, winning the ACC title in 2015 and back to back Elite 8's in 2015-16 was a great job by Brey.

Reaction Score
Correct. Men's basketball is pretty much treated as a minor sport by ND.

It is just something to watch in the winter between football season and the beginning of spring practice.

Many ND football fans are fans of other basketball programs.

ND basketball plays in an arena built in 1968.

ND didn't even have a dedicated basketball practice facility until a few years ago when donors stepped up.

Mike Brey had been begging for it for years. He had to wait.

Given those limitations, winning the ACC title in 2015 and back to back Elite 8's in 2015-16 was a great job by Brey.
and he is such a fashionista, cutting edge

1659099913533.png

Reaction Score
Top basketball players like to go to schools where they’re the big men on campus, not to schools where they play 2nd fiddle to football players.

Reaction Score
Top basketball players like to go to schools where they’re the big men on campus, not to schools where they play 2nd fiddle to football players.

Could be true...but FSU had three BB players drafted in the 2021 draft and three lottery picks between 2020 and 2021.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Top basketball players go where they will get a chance to showcase their stuff so they can be high draft picks. Most never step on campus to be the big man on campus. Many take all virtual classes for the 1st semester and work on their craft.

Reaction Score
Top basketball players go where they will get a chance to showcase their stuff so they can be high draft picks. Most never step on campus to be the big man on campus. Many take all virtual classes for the 1st semester and work on their craft.
Of course. I thought that went without saying.

Reaction Score
Future top basketball players will go to whoever pays them the most from NIL deals and possible revenue sharing agreements as the B1G is discussing now.

Reaction Score
Future top basketball players will go to whoever pays them the most from NIL deals and possible revenue sharing agreements as the B1G is discussing now.
Yes, but those are also the players most likely to be one and done. As Villanova and Baylor demonstrated in the past few years, a team of 22-23 year old veterans can beat teams of 19 year old former high school all Americans.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yes, but those are also the players most likely to be one and done. As Villanova and Baylor demonstrated in the past few years, a team of 22-23 year old veterans can beat teams of 19 year old former high school all Americans.
Tough to hold onto a kid and develop him in the age of the portal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom