Notre Dame Fighting Irish 2023 Post-Season Thread | The Boneyard

Notre Dame Fighting Irish 2023 Post-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, the news that S. Carolina and Notre Dame would be starting their respective seasons off in Paris, France and crack ND video coordinator James Spinelli decided to record the Irish's French reaction to the game. How did Cass Prosper, from Montreal do? Or Sonia Citron, whose last name is French (means "lemon"). In any case, good time had by all and this will be a blast for them!

Reaction Score
This could be fun. Best guess would be something like a midday game in the U.S., maybe 7 or 8 p.m. in Paris. I'm assuming ESPN will capitalize on the opportunity to get their broadcast schedule off to a good start.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Really? I was hoping for some inside dope on the recruitment of Lauren Betts to South Bend.
Steve Martin Reaction GIF

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Really? I was hoping for some inside dope on the recruitment of Lauren Betts to South Bend.
Steve Martin Reaction GIF
As I wrote on the Transfer Portal a few hours back, someone is visiting South Bend because Niel Ivey and Carol Owens both posted pictures an ND Ceiling with "God, Country, Notre Dame." The ceiling shots, from planes to gyms, mean they're something. The logo shots or with ND references means someone's coming. Could it be Lauren Betts? Or Lauren Ware? Or Katie Koval, who is rumored to come to ND this April. The fact that Coach O, ND's post coach, put this up tells me it's a big. Stay tuned.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Academic Teams Announced in ACC and ND had a starting team and two subs. This is the fifth time Dara Mabrey's made the team and both Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron are two for two after their sophomore year.

First Box: That's Jenna Brown and Sonia Citron on the top row, with Kylee Watson and Oliva Miles on Row 2.
Second Box: Lauren Ebo on the left with Dara Mbrey, top right and Nat Marshall, bottom right.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score

One of those developments that you really can't make up:

- I managed to see Anna DeWolfe's first and last game as a Fordham Ram (and not because I was going to see her).
Her first game as a Ram was in 2019 against the University of Notre Dame. That was Muffet's last season and I attended more to see the first game of Sam Brunelle. Even after ND's Mik Vaughn went down with an injury, ND bullt up a 15-pt. lead in the second half, but Fordham chipped away, largely led by a pesky freshman guard named Anna DeWolfe. She finished with 10 pts and 9 assists.

I was joined in the stands that day by recent grad Marina Mabrey, recent commit Nat Marshall and the usual assortment of Domers who travel.

- Flash forward to spring 2023 and I joined my daughter at Columbia to see the Lions play in the WNIT. Their opponent: the Rams. Columbia managed a five-pt. win but Anna DeWolfe and Asiah Dingle, the two Ram guards, kept coming all game, finishing with 21 and 20 points respectively. I wondered what both would do -- think Dingle's in the portal, too -- but never did the ND connection flicker in my head.

It should've because I thought ND could use a combo guard for a variety of reasons -- Miles injury, need for another shooter -- and this signing confirms that Niele thinks it is a good idea for a seasoned guard who can shoot three's to help bridge the gap for a still young ND team. Good get.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

One of those developments that you really can't make up:

- I managed to see Anna DeWolfe's first and last game as a Fordham Ram (and not because I was going to see her).
Her first game as a Ram was in 2019 against the University of Notre Dame. That was Muffet's last season and I attended more to see the first game of Sam Brunelle. Even after ND's Mik Vaughn went down with an injury, ND bullt up a 15-pt. lead in the second half, but Fordham chipped away, largely led by a pesky freshman guard named Anna DeWolfe. She finished with 10 pts and 9 assists.

I was joined in the stands that day by recent grad Marina Mabrey, recent commit Nat Marshall and the usual assortment of Domers who travel.

- Flash forward to spring 2023 and I joined my daughter at Columbia to see the Lions play in the WNIT. Their opponent: the Rams. Columbia managed a five-pt. win but Anna DeWolfe and Asiah Dingle, the two Ram guards, kept coming all game, finishing with 21 and 20 points respectively.

I thought ND could use a combo guard for a variety of reasons and this signing confirms that Niele thinks it is a good idea for a seasoned guard who can shoot three's to help bridge the gap for a still young ND team. Good get.

Great story. I never read what Miles’ injury was. Did they ever announce it?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Great story. I never read what Miles’ injury was. Did they ever announce it?
No, they haven't. However, she has had the surgery with no talk of when she'll be back. Going the opaque route. I'm all in favor of privacy rights, but at some point ???

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Evaluation Period Starts April 21, so Time for Irish Coaches to Hit the AAU Circuit!

That would be, from left, Assc. Head and Post Coach Carol Owens, Asst. Coach and Recruiting Director Michaela Mabrey, Head Coach Niele Ivey and Asst. Coach Charel Allen.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well, she didn't go get someone people might've expected, but went for front-court depth (see below).

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Some thoughts on this (that I also posted on The Bench)

I wrote this paragraph on a previous no more than an hour before the news:

"...unless they (the coaching staff) find a short-term, role-playing big to combine with (not in place of) Kylee and Nat. Those two seem to be the focus going forward, along with a push for a legitimate big in the Class of 2024."

A boost at more rebounding, blocks and extra fouls always help. ND now has Kylee Watson, Nat Marshall and Becky Obinma in the frontcourt, along with do-everything Maddy Westbeld. Just hoping the playing balance skews towards giving chances to Watson and Marshall to develop, since they both can be available for multiple years (assuming it's deserved, of course).

I did scour the Pepperdine site and was impressed with her rebounds to time-played ratio, but also noted her foul issues. Also noted, as a former track athlete, Obinma can run...fast. Knock on wood, bigs do get rewarded for running the floor at ND.

A few other thoughts:
  • This is the third year running, Coach Ivey has procured the services of a big for a one-year stint.
  • Second year in a row she's taken a player who is on her third school, so toss out my now very archaic statement about wondering about players on their third school being a yellow flag.
  • This year's class is different than past years in that both players are from mid-majors and none were apparently on ND's radar for intense recruiting periods during high school.
  • One difference: Anna DeWolfe was an all-conference player at a team that generally hovered at the top of the Atlantic Ten.

Becky Obima, by contrast, played just under 20 mpg for a team with a losing record in the WCC. However, you've got to think Ivey and Post Coach Carol Owens saw something that they can believe can help the Irish.
  • Don't mind me, we Jersey guys get disappointed when a Jersey Shore star choose somewhere else to go, no matter how far-fetched the concept might've been! (Justine Pissot had just committed to Vandy. Drat!)
  • And, lastly, hope the Irish staff continues to pursue their 2024 post/forward prospects as hard, diligently and successfully as possible.

Go Irish!

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Technically, it's not off-season related, but I think anything Natalie Achonwa related would be approved. :)

Anything with Ace is AOK to me. She's just a stellar walking example of what's right with being an ND grad, WNBA player and Canadian citizen. One my faves and I can safely say most of McGraw's Bench would agree. Happy Mother's Day, Ace!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Sonia Citron made the U.S.A. u-19 team prior to her arrival in South Bend as an incoming frosh and think the experience of practicing with and against peers and older players (Caitlin Clark) helped immensely. Hidalgo is the only non-collegiate point guard on the roster, so hoping playing with/against Kiki Rice, Telanah Lepolo, etc. will be beneficial. Go U.S.A. and Hannah!

Reaction Score
Sonia Citron made the U.S.A. u-19 team prior to her arrival in South Bend as an incoming frosh and think the experience of practicing with and against peers and older players (Caitlin Clark) helped immensely. Hidalgo is the only non-collegiate point guard on the roster, so hoping playing with/against Kiki Rice, Telanah Lepolo, etc. will be beneficial. Go U.S.A. and Hannah!

Are you sure that she's the only non-collegiate player? I thought Ziebell and Edwards are also 2024 players.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

For those not familiar (or have forgotten) the Irish alums ("Domers") in the WNBA, they are:
  • Top row (left to right): Arike Ogunbowale - Dallas Wings); Skylar Diggins-Smith (Phoenix Mercury. On Maternity Leave); Marina Mabrey (Chicago Sky)
  • Middle Row (left to right): Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm); Jess Shepard (Minnesota Lynx); Brianna Turner (Mercury); Lindsay Allen (Lynx)
  • Bottom Row (left to right): Natalie "Ace" Achonwa (Lynx. On Maternity Leave); Jackie Young (Las Vegas Aces); Kayla "K-Mac" McBride (Lynx).

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
We interrupt this usual basketball-centric thread to call attention to the fact that Notre Dame's Men's Lacrosse team won their first National Championship, beating Duke, 13-9, after getting into the finals with an OT win over UVA on Saturday. Coach Corrigan has been with this program 35 years and has done everything you can ask of a coach ...and now he has the NC. Personally, I played on the Club Lacrosse team before there was a varsity, so I couldn't be more than pleased to see this team take the highest step!

Reaction Score
We interrupt this usual basketball-centric thread to call attention to the fact that Notre Dame's Men's Lacrosse team won their first National Championship, beating Duke, 13-9, after getting into the finals with an OT win over UVA on Saturday. Coach Corrigan has been with this program 35 years and has done everything you can ask of a coach ...and now he has the NC. Personally, I played on the Club Lacrosse team before there was a varsity, so I couldn't be more than pleased to see this team take the highest step!

Congrats!! Always cool when you see or hear about a program winning their "First" championship in any sport. Super excited for the players and their programs. On to many more titles.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Emma Risch, one of the two remaining Irish freshman for 2023, moves into her dormitory for summer session, accompanied by the Irish coaching staff. Hannah Hidalgo should be joining shortly. Cass Prosper, who signed in November 2022, played from December 2022 until the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tourney and is now classified as a sophomore athletically.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Former WNBA Coach Carlos Knox Joins Irish Staff as Director of Player Development Program Director

Coach Niele Ivey, in the press release, stated: My vision for our (Irish) is to continue developing NEXT LEVEL pros, and I believe Carlos will help continue and elevate that mission!”

While Ivey and the Irish have given Knox a "director" title, one would have to think he is filling one of the two new coaching slots that the NCAA has approved to begin (after July 1). As such, he can work the floor during games and recruit, but only on campus. He was a point guard when he played at IUPUI and the pro level, but has worked with guards since then, giving ND guards like Olivia Miles, Hannah Hidalgo and various combo guards a lot of expertise.

Will be interesting to see if a second director/assistant coach is named. All of Ivey's other assistant coaches -- Associate Head Coach Carole Owens and Assistants Michaela Mabrey and Charel Allen -- return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom