Notre Dame basketball coach says Big East should add Memphis for all sports | The Boneyard

Notre Dame basketball coach says Big East should add Memphis for all sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...parture-to-big-12/2011/10/06/gIQAFzRERL_story

We’ve got our work cut out for us,” conceded Notre Dame basketball Coach Mike Brey, in Washington on Thursday to promote the Dec. 4 BB&T Classic, in which the Irish will face Maryland. “Some of our football programs in the Big East are looking elsewhere.

I think we have to really come up with a plan to make it enticing enough for them to stay. And we have to do a good job of getting some new members —Army, Air Force, Memphis —things like that.”

Reaction Score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...parture-to-big-12/2011/10/06/gIQAFzRERL_story

We’ve got our work cut out for us,” conceded Notre Dame basketball Coach Mike Brey, in Washington on Thursday to promote the Dec. 4 BB&T Classic, in which the Irish will face Maryland. “Some of our football programs in the Big East are looking elsewhere.

I think we have to really come up with a plan to make it enticing enough for them to stay. And we have to do a good job of getting some new members —Army, Air Force, Memphis —things like that.”
Like how about JOINING the conference?!?

Reaction Score
"Some of our football programs in the Big East are looking elsewhere"???? Mike, ALL football programs are looking elsewhere. Guess what could have prevented them from looking elsewhere? One guess. Go ahead Mike, guess...

What an arse. Poor ND, just an innocent victim in all of this.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
These guys are asked questions that they should be prepared to answer. Brey should have backed out. He end's up looking like an *ss proposing Memphis instead of ND going all in to the BE.

Reaction Score
"I'm worried about coaching my team. Others are paid to worry about conference alignments."

Every coach in the country should have that on an index card taped to their wrists, like a QB does with plays.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
"I'm worried about coaching my team. Others are paid to worry about conference alignments."

Every coach in the country should have that on an index card taped to their wrists, like a QB does with plays.
Yep! You took a little trip to the men's bb board. Things slowing down for you over here?

Reaction Score
Go to the ACC. The end.
Notre Dame will be forced to cut a deal with the ACC, which should be good for us. I bet that they don't like the fact that the Big East is unstable and will soon not be a viable conference for their basketball and non-revenue sports.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Waiter! Coach Brey needs a refill. He's nearly out of STFU.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will be forced to cut a deal with the ACC, which should be good for us. I bet that they don't like the fact that the Big East is unstable and will soon not be a viable conference for their basketball and non-revenue sports.

why is the big East unstable for bball and non revenue sports? the BE existed before BE football, and i really don't see why the bball only schools would disband b/c the football schools leave. only the football side is unstable, and they're not on the football side.

Reaction Score
It isn't unstable. It may not, however, be good enough. Not for ND hoops, but for ND everything else.

The non-revenue sports in the Big East are dominated by the football schools. As an example, not counting ND there are only four baseball schools among the catholics. Providence, Marquette and DePaul don't bother fielding Big East teams.

Reaction Score
What a ludicrous statement by ND...The whole issue would not have started years ago had ND and their declining on field vaunted football program became a member of the Big East.. Go to the ACC......

Reaction Score
It isn't unstable. It may not, however, be good enough. Not for ND hoops, but for ND everything else.

The non-revenue sports in the Big East are dominated by the football schools. As an example, not counting ND there are only four baseball schools among the catholics. Providence, Marquette and DePaul don't bother fielding Big East teams.
ND has stated before that in the event of a split, they would prefer to be with the fb schools for the OTHER sports, just not for fb.

Reaction Score
ND has stated before that in the event of a split, they would prefer to be with the fb schools for the OTHER sports, just not for fb.

interesting, i had never heard that. either way for Notre Dame to have any comment on what the BE should be doing here is pretty ridiculous. it's kind of like David Chapman trying to give Yoko advice on how to handle John Lennon's estate

Reaction Score
More from Mike Brey today:

"I think Temple would be great,” he said. “I want Memphis because we need basketball star power because we’ve lost some. Memphis brings a basketball program, and we’ve just lost two horses. We need to be mindful of our basketball stuff. And I think Houston can give us a little bit. Memphis really gives you that star power.

“I like a Temple and a Memphis and a Houston because of their basketball. I don’t really care about their football.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/10/07/mike-brey-fires-back-at-jim-boeheim-can-imagine-irish-in-acc/

Reaction Score
More from Mike Brey today:

"I think Temple would be great,” he said. “I want Memphis because we need basketball star power because we’ve lost some. Memphis brings a basketball program, and we’ve just lost two horses. We need to be mindful of our basketball stuff. And I think Houston can give us a little bit. Memphis really gives you that star power.

“I like a Temple and a Memphis and a Houston because of their basketball. I don’t really care about their football.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/10/07/mike-brey-fires-back-at-jim-boeheim-can-imagine-irish-in-acc/
Notre Dame will associate with those 2 schools when hell freezes over. Former post had it right - Waiter! Coach Brey needs a refill. He's nearly out of STFU.

Reaction Score
ND has scheduled a lot more games against the ACC than they have the BE. Hell, the UConn-ND game was a one-fer.
If ND wanted the BE to stay together, they could have supported it more by scheduling a few games.

Reaction Score
interesting, i had never heard that. either way for Notre Dame to have any comment on what the BE should be doing here is pretty ridiculous. it's kind of like David Chapman trying to give Yoko advice on how to handle John Lennon's estate
Think about who the best competition is in almost every sport... the fb schools, mostly UConn.

Reaction Score
@mattp: When the football schools leave the Big East.... and they will, your precious basketball conference is going to include Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova and Notre Dame. You can include Providence, Seton Hall, Marquette and Depaul but they are so awful I doubt the A-10 would want them. When it gets to that point Notre Dame will be long gone my friend and so will the Big East tourney on ESPN. In a way I hope that does happen because the basketball onlies and Notre Dame deserve to be in a second rate basketball conference after they ruined what could have been the greatest all sports conference in America. Pizz on all of them!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@mattp: When the football schools leave the Big East.... and they will, your precious basketball conference is going to include Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova and Notre Dame. You can include Providence, Seton Hall, Marquette and Depaul but they are so awful I doubt the A-10 would want them. When it gets to that point Notre Dame will be long gone my friend and so will the Big East tourney on ESPN. In a way I hope that does happen because the basketball onlies and Notre Dame deserve to be in a second rate basketball conference after they ruined what could have been the greatest all sports conference in America. Pizz on all of them!!

Why wouldn't a basketball conference want Marquette? Too many fans? Win too many games?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't a basketball conference want Marquette? Too many fans? Win too many games?

Replace "Marquette" with "Connecticut" and you realize the fallacy.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Marquette won anything of significance in basketball? The 70's? 80's maybe? If I'm a recruit outside of Milwaukee, Wis. is my dream school Marquette?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
When was the last time Marquette won anything of significance in basketball? The 70's? 80's maybe? If I'm a recruit outside of Milwaukee, Wis. is my dream school Marquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom