Notre Dame, 2022-'23 Season | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame, 2022-'23 Season

Reaction Score
That's what Niele said in Greensboro throughout the ACC tournament.
And, yes, I haven't seen or heard anything further on Diamond Johnson or Ta'Niya Latson from Florida State, who didn't play in the Wake Forest ACC game

Looks like teams are following suit to Geno

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here's 2022-23 season highlights for Emma Risch, a commit for Notre Dame 2023 class, along with Cassandre Prosper (who enrolled early and is already at ND) and Hannah Hidalgo. Risch burst into national recognition a bit later than most, based primarily on her dead-eye 3-pt. shooting and her increasing ability to drive to the hoop for layups and pull-up jumpers. Here's a summary of the last season that shows (in order): 3-pt shooting, passing, drives and mid-range game; and, rebounding/defense. (Courtesy of irncty99 at The Bench). She reminds a lot of Bench old-timers of Alicia Ratay, who started on that 2001 ND NCAA Championship team with Ruth Riley and Niele Ivey: a very tall jump shooter (both are over 6' tall) who is also deadly at the mid-range.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Nice article on ND's Head Coach Niele Ivey in The Athletic.
Don't know if you can get behind the firewall, but if you can it's very well worth reading.

• Nice quotes from former teammates Kelly Simeon Dayo and Ruth Riley Hunter.
  • Shows how tight she is with the McGuff family (who coached her at ND)
  • Coach Carol Owens pops up here, as she did with any article about Muffet McGraw. Her longstanding presence in the ND program cannot be underestimated from a continuity aspect, as is her work with posts (Riley, Natalie Achonwa, Jessica Shepard, etc.)
  • Uses interactions with Cass Prosper as an example of Niele's approach to working with young players.

Coach Ivey's first year was a difficult one: first-year NC who had been away the prior season and she had to operate with an incoming class she didn't sign under Covid protocols. Some mis-steps and a lot of learning moments, but she's turned it around. Of course, two of her first moves gave a cushion/head-start: getting commitments from Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron and bringing in Dara Mabrey.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why she isn't wearing a brace? Or on crutches? I know there has been no verification of the injury. I would just think instead of her limping around, she'd have some kind of support for her knee

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Since 2014 - save for one year - there's been a uniform on the basketball court at Purcell that has "Mabrey" on it.
That's over now...primarily because there are no more Mabrey sisters in the pipeline to put on an Irish uniform.
Michaela, of course, is on the sidelines as an ND assistant coach; Marina's playing pro ball in Italy and Chicago; and, Dara will move into something good. Whether fans like them or loath them; hate or admire the Jersey approach, you certainly couldn't miss them.

I've watched them in both high school and, of course, college. Ironically, my younger brother just bought a house in Manasquan, the heart of Mabrey country. So, who knows if I'll see one of them on the excellent public courts they have ...
Thanks for the efforts and memories.

Reaction Score
Here's 2022-23 season highlights for Emma Risch, a commit for Notre Dame 2023 class, along with Cassandre Prosper (who enrolled early and is already at ND) and Hannah Hidalgo. Risch burst into national recognition a bit later than most, based primarily on her dead-eye 3-pt. shooting and her increasing ability to drive to the hoop for layups and pull-up jumpers. Here's a summary of the last season that shows (in order): 3-pt shooting, passing, drives and mid-range game; and, rebounding/defense. (Courtesy of irncty99 at The Bench). She reminds a lot of Bench old-timers of Alicia Ratay, who started on that 2001 ND NCAA Championship team with Ruth Riley and Niele Ivey: a very tall jump shooter (both are over 6' tall) who is also deadly at the mid-range.

Outstanding offensive talent. IMO, Ivey will need to figure out a way to find solid minutes for her. I think she can have as big an impact as Citron did as a freshman if she gets enough PT and might actually have as high or a higher ceiling. There are very few pure shooters coming out of HS and she is one.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Outstanding offensive talent. IMO, Ivey will need to figure out a way to find solid minutes for her. I think she can have as big an impact as Citron did as a freshman if she gets enough PT and might actually have as high or a higher ceiling. There are very few pure shooters coming out of HS and she is one.
Completely agree. If Emma Risch is the talent we've all been studying since she committed, I've got to think Niele will find a way to get her minutes and a probable place in her roatation. With Dara Mabrey graduating, ND very much needs a pure shooter. And this one is 6'1". BTW, she's in the 3-pt. shooting context on Monday evening on ESPNU.

Citron's best role for ND is the same she plays for the U.S.A. National Teams that she's on: the all-round player who plays defense, rebounds, moves the ball, gets tons of hockey assists and scores in the flow of the game. I think Risch will mix fabulously with Citron and add even more height to the Irish attack and defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since 2014 - save for one year - there's been a uniform on the basketball court at Purcell that has "Mabrey" on it.
That's over now...primarily because there are no more Mabrey sisters in the pipeline to put on an Irish uniform.
Michaela, of course, is on the sidelines as an ND assistant coach; Marina's playing pro ball in Italy and Chicago; and, Dara will move into something good. Whether fans like them or loath them; hate or admire the Jersey approach, you certainly couldn't miss them.

I've watched them in both high school and, of course, college. Ironically, my younger brother just bought a house in Manasquan, the heart of Mabrey country. So, who knows if I'll see one of them on the excellent public courts they have ...
Thanks for the efforts and memories.

Sorry. Can't resist.
6f585b62fa483d769afe7e4e380c8db7.jpeg

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Sorry. Can't resist.
View attachment 86036
Underscores my sentence: "Whether fans like them or loath them; hate or admire the Jersey approach, you certainly couldn't miss them." BTW, as you're well aware, the Mabrey's aren't known for penalty minutes, but three-pt. shots. Lots of them. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom