Not liking where this is heading...I am losing my optimism | The Boneyard

Not liking where this is heading...I am losing my optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
All along I have felt confident that in the end, UConn would end up in the ACC after a bunch of movement over the next few months. However, I am now getting the sinking feeling that we really are going to be locked out and stuck trying to rebuild the Big East conference. You can sense a change in tone and expectations coming from Storrs. I think the realitity is starting to set in.

The B1G is not going past 12 any time soon. I think the SEC is stopping at 14 with Missouri. And I have a feeling that the Big 12 is stopping at 10 with Louisville or BYU. Notre Dame is not giving up their independence if they can keep the BE together somewhat. And the Big East will be held together by a thread and the interests of Notre Dame independence.

I think we are stuck in the Big East at this point and I think the next round of expansion might be 6-10 years out. The expansion/realignment of the past year has resulted in the major conferences all getting brand new contracts for huge amounts (including the ACC renegotiating with ESPN), increasing the buy-out fees significantly, and locking in TV rights to the conferences for long periods of time. I am worried that the alignment we have now is going to be here for a while.

I am sure in 6-10 years, there will be another round of expansion and we will probably be invited then. But that is a long time for UConn to be stuck in a dis-advantaged conference and I am worried that we will take multiple steps back (significant reduction in revenue, replacing Calhoun, loss of momentum and fan support for football, etc).

Our only last hail-mary hope is for the SEC to take FSU from the ACC, and then we replace FSU. If that doesn't happen, I think we are stuck in this sitaution for a long time!:(

Reaction Score
Hang in there USG and gib, we are going to land in a good spot. It may not be on the time table all here would like (which is to already be in a stable league). 16 team conferences are coming, and UConn will have a seat at the table. There is so much more that will shake out from conference realignment, it's just getting going. We're in a frustrating spot right now, no doubt, but we will land on our feet.

Reaction Score
if we keep who we have, or at most lose Louisville, we'll at least still be a BCS conference after adding whatever logical team or three are chosen. it's certainly not ideal, but it's manageable. in that conference we'd be likely playing in a BCS bowl over the next few years and maybe a Champs, assuming we continue to progress as i think we will. then in five years if conferences start gearing up to 16 we'll look good, so it's not the end of the world.

Reaction Score
if we keep who we have, or at most lose Louisville, we'll at least still be a BCS conference after adding whatever logical team or three are chosen. it's certainly not ideal, but it's manageable. in that conference we'd be likely playing in a BCS bowl over the next few years and maybe a Champs, assuming we continue to progress as i think we will. then in five years if conferences start gearing up to 16 we'll look good, so it's not the end of the world.

I agree it's really not the end of the world. I don't see any real indication that our BCS bid will be stripped. Things are pretty much going to stay the same except we'll lose a few old rivalries. I think you are right that in a watered down Big East there is no reason to expect UConn to not get to another BCS bowl sooner rather than later. Right now what we really need to be hoping for is that the Big 12 stops at 10. That will keep the Big East the strongest it can be under the circumstances and is well within the realm of possibility.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
When WVU leaves, BE Football can't market a product that can win its time slot in its home markets except in a good year--a championship year and even that is dicey.

C-USA and the MWC conference get $1.2 million or so for all sports. What is BE football worth? The same as the last contract without Pitt and SU and WVU? Take away the BCS split and the numbers for football are bleak. After the 2004 split the EPSN renegotiated the BE contract--downwards before the 2006 contract.

What's BE basketball really worth? Notre Dame was being blunt about BE football. it's not worth too much when WVU leaves.

Mandate the UConn Network and $2.00 carrier charge. That's the new path to lightly aligned schedule arrangements yet independence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedRabbit84

Top Bottom