Not all publicity is good... | The Boneyard

Not all publicity is good...

Reaction Score
Please see below from today's NY Post. Not all publicity is good... We are a laughing stock.
(Is it truly always darkest before dawn?)

Historically bad UConn is perplexing college football bettors​

By
Adam Kramer,
September 22, 2021 9:00am
Updated

Want even more betting news? Sign up for VSiN’s free daily newsletter. Listen Live to VSiN’s sports betting shows.
Normally in this space, the focus is on excellence. Not today. Instead, I want to talk about ineptitude that is both robust and historic — a level of football so bad that it is perplexing bookmakers, bettors and casual fans. Let’s talk about Connecticut football.
Now, it’s not all bad. UConn covered the spread on Saturday for the first time this year as a 35-point underdog against Army. The Huskies were down 42-0 at half and scored 21 second-half points, headlined by their final score with around a minute remaining, to get within the number. By that point, the backups’ backups were getting action.
UConn is 0-4 straight up and 1-3 against the spread. This includes a 10-point loss to Holy Cross, which lost to Merrimack College the following week. The Huskies have been outscored 146-21 by Fresno State, Purdue and Army. Oh, and Randy Edsall, the former head coach, retired after two games.
UConn will play Wyoming, Vanderbilt, UMass, Yale and Middle Tennessee State next. While these teams rarely find themselves as colossal chalks, they will assume that role when these games are played. After that? The season ends at Clemson, at Central Florida and against Houston. Yikes!
It’s been a rough year for UConn.AP
It is hard to summarize how bad all three of these football games will be. In fact, it feels like a safety hazard to have Clemson, even in its offensively challenged form, play this football team.
Other than the $1.2 million Clemson will reportedly pay UConn to play this game, which is plenty, there is no real reason to actually play.
How do you create a point spread for a game like this?
“I’d open 58.5 and let the market tell me how off I am,” one oddsmaker said.
One thing is certain. What we are seeing right now from UConn is historic. And it’s so remarkable, in a way the word is not normally used, I implore you to tune in.

Reaction Score

Not all publicity is good...​

There should be rewards for revelations of this magnitude. ;)

Reaction Score
Just in: We have been really bad for a long time. The sad part was after year 1 of REStore it was obvious to many, and more so in year 2… but there were still plenty bought in to BS.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Actually the quote is: “the opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s indifference. The opposite of feeling can only be, the absence of feeling”. And right about now, we’re all very very numb.
Nah. More like philosophical. Like “would I rather go to a UConn football game or be stuck in front of a firing squad?” Don’t answer. I’ll be at the Wyoming game hoping there aren’t a bunch of Cowboys aiming six shooters at me.

Reaction Score
Just emphasizes the point that the continuation of the benign neglect model is unsustainable in the long term. It does the University no good to have this kind of reputation.

Reaction Score
Just emphasizes the point that the continuation of the benign neglect model is unsustainable in the long term. It does the University no good to have this kind of reputation.
A few thoughts:

1. I’m not sure it is benign neglect as much as calculated malign actions. The goal is to starve the program to a state of embarrassment and hopelessness that there is no support for it, and the logical course of action becomes drop or cancel the program. Thus, the carefully placed strawmanmedia trial balloons to test receptivity to the idea of dropping down or out, articles about the Rent’s useful life, football “losing money”, etc.

2. This is the product of the machinations of an inept UConn BoT. The signs are everywhere and go well beyond Football.

3. The situation has deteriorated so badly that they may have overplayed their hand. It’s such an embarrassment they are under pressure to fix it.

4. Not to overstate the BY, but it’s sites like this that keep enough interest together and Public pressure on the situation to not allow the program to go silently and gently into the good night bidding ado.

I have no respect for the feckless people on the BoT. They are ineffective, incompetent and political hacks and basketball heads with no plan or vision for the school other than reliving early 2000s.

Reaction Score
The only positive about this is our expectations are so low with the program that we can only go up from here.

Let's hope some of the young guys got some in them to improve and play better. They got 8 games to show us what they got.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1. I’m not sure it is benign neglect as much as calculated malign actions. The goal is to starve the program to a state of embarrassment and hopelessness that there is no support for it, and the logical course of action becomes drop or cancel the program. Thus, the carefully placed strawmanmedia trial balloons to test receptivity to the idea of dropping down or out, articles about the Rent’s useful life, football “losing money”, etc.

2. This is the product of the machinations of an inept UConn BoT. The signs are everywhere and go well beyond Football.

3. The situation has deteriorated so badly that they may have overplayed their hand. It’s such an embarrassment they are under pressure to fix it.

4. Not to overstate the BY, but it’s sites like this that keep enough interest together and Public pressure on the situation to not allow the program to go silently and gently into the good night bidding ado.

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Oh this really is a masterwork of internet posts:
The BoT has secret plans to destroy the team.
If the team fails, the poster can use that as proof that he was on to their plan all along!​
The secret plan of the BoT has been so successful that they may be forced to fix it.
If the AD hires a competent coach and staff by increasing the coaching budget it isn't evidence of their desire to preserve football but merely evidence that the secret plan to destroy football worked too well... and the poster can victory lap because he predicted it!​
Only the Boneyard can stop the BoT's secret plan to destroy football!
And the poster is leading that noble effort.​

Seriously, I salute you!

CL82

Reaction Score
You may want to be put out of your misery.
I think six shots is the over/under for how many are necessary to watch us play this season.

CL82

Reaction Score
The only positive about this is our expectations are so low with the program that we can only go up from here.
Don't say that. Don't ever say that.

Reaction Score
Conspiracy Kitty says:
Oh this really is a masterwork of internet posts:
The BoT has secret plans to destroy the team.
If the team fails, the poster can use that as proof that he was on to their plan all along!​
The secret plan of the BoT has been so successful that they may be forced to fix it.
If the AD hires a competent coach and staff by increasing the coaching budget it isn't evidence of their desire to preserve football but merely evidence that the secret plan to destroy football worked too well... and the poster can victory lap because he predicted it!​
Only the Boneyard can stop the BoT's secret plan to destroy football!
And the poster is leading that noble effort.​

Seriously, I salute you!
OMG, give me a break. Talk about distortion and ridicule as old meat and potatoes. The sum total of activity shows they are totally incompetent or have the intention to let it die. It's one or the other. The deal they cut with the BE is economic malpractice unless the intent is to cut or drop football down. Nobody allows this travesty of historical proportions to occur lest they dont care. I cant imagine they are that collectively stupid.

CL82

Reaction Score
OMG, give me a break. Talk about distortion and ridicule as old meat and potatoes. The sum total of activity shows they are totally incompetent or have the intention to let it die. It's one or the other. The deal they cut with the BE is economic malpractice unless the intent is to cut or drop football down. Nobody allows this travesty of historical proportions to occur lest they dont care. I cant imagine they are that collectively stupid.

Conspiracy Kitty says:
I call them like I see them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom