Not all Power 5 schools are equal, especially when it comes to TV marketability (on3sports) | The Boneyard

Not all Power 5 schools are equal, especially when it comes to TV marketability (on3sports)

Reaction Score
Nothing earth shattering but more foreboding for the “have’s” who might not “have as much” in the not so distant future:

-> What is clear is that there is an almost insatiable appetite to watch the biggest brands match up. To that point, one prominent college athletics official who has been involved in numerous media rights deals told On3, “The networks right now will pay you whatever you need them to pay you for the top inventory. What they don’t want to do anymore is pay $9 million a game for Michigan-Ohio State and also pay $9 million a game for Rutgers-Maryland. Every conference is top-heavy.”

In fact, the top three or four brands in every conference account for more than 50 percent of the TV viewers, with some slight variation among leagues. For the Big Ten, it’s Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. In the SEC, it’s Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida. The Pac-12 has USC, Oregon and Washington. It’s Clemson, Miami and Florida State in the ACC. And the Big 12 (for now) has Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Notre Dame is the lone independent that moves the needle. <-

-> “I worry about that for our game and for those universities,” North Carolina coach Mack Brown told ESPN’s Paul Finebaum recently. “ … I think we will see some schools that just can’t have enough money, enough facilities, enough commitment selling those tickets, be attractive enough for the TV contracts that they will lose who they are and drop down to another level.”<-

Reaction Score
Amidst all the talk of "markets" that we have had..I have been maintaining all along that it is marquis match ups that are most important...

Reaction Score
No Texas A&M or Wisconsin?

Surprised that Mia still makes the cut. When were they last very good?
Also Okie St

Reaction Score
Read the damn article… ;)

-> If your school isn’t on that list above and isn’t among a handful of other names (like Wisconsin, Auburn, North Carolina, Texas A&M, maybe Iowa), what does the future hold for you? <-

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Read the damn article… ;)

-> If your school isn’t on that list above and isn’t among a handful of other names (like Wisconsin, Auburn, North Carolina, Texas A&M, maybe Iowa), what does the future hold for you? <-
I question even UNC being on the list. They are good in football lately but historically they are average at best.

Reaction Score
I question even UNC being on the list. They are good in football lately but historically they are average at best.
The ACC’s contract is unique in that rather than an 80/20 split between football/basketball, it’s 65/35. So comparatively speaking, ACC basketball is more valuable than elsewhere.

Another way to look at it, UNC is usually in the top 10 for college licensing sales. The brand value is there even if we’ve been in the wilderness between the Mack eras.

Reaction Score

Surprised that Mia still makes the cut. When were they last very good?
Also Okie St

Miami is still a brand...and they did win 8 games of 11 last year.....

Reaction Score
The ACC’s contract is unique in that rather than an 80/20 split between football/basketball, it’s 65/35. So comparatively speaking, ACC basketball is more valuable than elsewhere.

Another way to look at it, UNC is usually in the top 10 for college licensing sales. The brand value is there even if we’ve been in the wilderness between the Mack eras.

Football is more like 80 percent.....and yes...the Tarheel fans buy merchandise...

Clemson AD: '80 percent' of new ACC media rights contract generated by football​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Football is more like 80 percent.....and yes...the Tarheel fans buy merchandise...

Clemson AD: '80 percent' of new ACC media rights contract generated by football​

Not that I don’t trust an AD of a football school who is pumping up football. But I’m remembering a John Skipper interview where he differentiated between the ACC and everyone else. But also looking at Notre Dame payouts sitting at about 1/3rd of everyone else, that also seems to fit.

Reaction Score
Swofford has also said the same....80 percent...

Link something to support your atatement...it is a little whacko....not that I distrust basketball guys when discussing football...

There is a reason that Jim Phillips, ACC Commissioner, said this at his first spring meeting.....

"As I've stated since my first day as ACC commissioner, football must be number one priority for us, for all of us, our schools, the league, ACC Network, our partners, coaches. We've been collaborating for months to ensure that ACC football has the mindset of 24/7, 365, and we're working together to further elevate football in the ACC. We're just getting started," Phillips said. "That commitment to football will not be at the expense of our other 26 sponsored sports. You don't have to deemphasize any sport simply to provide additional resources to others or concentrate on football."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom