OT: - Nonsensical Songs - Wacky lyrics & titles, post your best loved - and worst | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Nonsensical Songs - Wacky lyrics & titles, post your best loved - and worst

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Tennessee bird walk!
Haven't heard that since I was a kid !
:D

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Two of the finest guitar rockabilly players anywhere, Bill Kirchen and Junior Brown, Hot Rod Lincoln…….the sounds Brown gets out of what he calls his “guit-steel“, his double necked guitar / pedal steel hybrid are amazing

Agree with you 100%!!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Strange title, along with one of the worst songs ever.

My Pal Foot Foot - The Shaggs
I was astounded when I came across recent footage of the Shaggs performing. There are several newer versions of My Pal Foot Foot. These seem to indicate that it wasn't an accident. Here's one from a festival in 2017:

Reaction Score
I didn't go through the entire post but I'm hoping no one submitted one of my favorite and beautiful but nonsensical songs .... Lavender Blue

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The previous post brought another song to mind. Lavender Blue has pretty normal if fanciful lyrics but with nonsense words thrown in as often happens in traditional ballads.

The song Bonny Birdie is to some extent the same, but with some odd Scottish brogue thrown in. The word "diddle" appears frequently. But then there are verses like this:

"Then wi good white bread an farrow-cow milk
He bade her feet me aft
An ga her a little wee simmer-dale wanny
To ding me sindle and saft

"But wi good white bread an farrow-cow milk
I wot she fed me nought
An wi a little wee simmer-dale wanny
She dang me sare and aft."

That means: he told his lady to feed the bird with white bread and milk from a cow who hasn't given birth and he gave her a little stick of green wood to hit the bird seldom and soft. But the woman didn't feed the bird and hit it with a stick hard and often. It's no wonder the bird turned on her.

This is a great song, and is in Volume I of the Child Ballads (where I learned what the goofy lyrics mean).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom