Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 56 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about anything. I preferred a simple reason, so I will pass on a detailed explanation.

You're the one who stated you were surprised Texas was not one of Betts' finalists, but you can't even provide a simple reason as to why Texas would/should have been one of her finalists. Nobody needs a thesis.

You're the one who thought Vic would "create a buzz" early at Texas, but basically insinuated he didn't because a 2022 recruit out of Colorado isn't interested in Texas. I gave you an example of the buzz he made in recruiting in his first month in Austin for the 2021 class. We'll leave it at that.
I'll take a stab. The buzz he made in recruiting for the 2021 class was Aaliyah Moore. She started alongside Betts for the u16 national team. That's a reach of a reason why there could have been a connection.

However, Vic is an elite coach and he has shown he can develop a post player. McCowan is his best example. Betts could look at that and see that she would be in good hands. Vic made two NC title game appearances in recent years, and that was without McDonald AA recruits. He has a much better track record than some of the other coaches in her top 9. Texas and Colorado are far apart, but there were schools farther away than Austin in her top 9. I think those could be reasons why some people might have season Texas in her top 9.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'll take a stab. The buzz he made in recruiting for the 2021 class was Aaliyah Moore. She started alongside Betts for the u16 national team. That's a reach of a reason why there could have been a connection.

However, Vic is an elite coach and he has shown he can develop a post player. McCowan is his best example. Betts could look at that and see that she would be in good hands. Vic made two NC title game appearances in recent years, and that was without McDonald AA recruits. He has a much better track record than some of the other coaches in her top 9. Texas and Colorado are far apart, but there were schools farther away than Austin in her top 9. I think those could be reasons why some people might have season Texas in her top 9.
That's fair enough. All those reasons of what Vic did at Miss. State could catch they eye of elite post players.

Conversely, did Betts ever make an unofficial visit to Miss. State? Did she make one to Texas? I don't think so. But, I believe she made a few visits to those schools who are finalists.

Recruiting during the pandemic has been very different than in the past, and has limited so many chances to connect. So, if a coaching staff didn't already have some type of relationship with a recruit, they probably didn't get to form one (in person) these last 3-4 months. I don't know if the prior Texas staff was recruiting Betts; nor do I know if the former Miss. State was recruiting Betts. All that to say that most recruits are focusing on those schools where they've had an existing relationship with the coaches.

Reaction Score
That's fair enough. All those reasons of what Vic did at Miss. State could catch they eye of elite post players.

Conversely, did Betts ever make an unofficial visit to Miss. State? Did she make one to Texas? I don't think so. But, I believe she made a few visits to those schools who are finalists.

Recruiting during the pandemic has been very different than in the past, and has limited so many chances to connect. So, if a coaching staff didn't already have some type of relationship with a recruit, they probably didn't get to form one (in person) these last 3-4 months. I don't know if the prior Texas staff was recruiting Betts; nor do I know if the former Miss. State was recruiting Betts. All that to say that most recruits are focusing on those schools where they've had an existing relationship with the coaches.

Well. Texas is almost a border state of Colorado.

Of course, it's not a short drive to Austin

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

However, Vic is an elite coach and he has shown he can develop a post player. McCowan is his best ONLY example. Betts could look at that and see that she would be in good hands (vs. other coaches who have developed more than 1 player?). Vic made two NC title game appearances in recent years, and that was without McDonald AA recruits (what about Victoria Vivians who was a MAXPrep All-American and a PARADE All-American and the #24 HG prospect)...Vic didn't turn water into wine so let's not oversell him. He is a good coach and he also had some talent.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Not really an A list of programs, but it's getting late in the recruiting season. Might be iinteresting to see if this develops into a Vic vs. MSState battle.
Depends on how you define "A-list." A&M has won as many championships in the past decade as South Carolina,*** and Miss St. has been to two twice as many title games as South Carolina has. So I guess Dawn & co. are not A listers either? A&M and Miss St. have been to more title games in the past decade than have Duke, Oregon, Stanford, or Tennessee. Unless you define A-list to be an exclusive group of Baylor, UConn, and Notre Dame, I'd say she's looking at many of the top programs in the country.

***I do not count a "consensus national champions[hips]," which Gamecock boosters have apparently awarded themselves on the South Carolina wikipedia page.

Reaction Score
I have watched K. Hunter play on at least a dozen occasions. She is a good player but not an Elite (top tier) Talent. The best way to describe her game is that she is good at many things but not really great at any particular. Athleticism is a plus but skills are behind others. Texas recruiting her is a comment on the dearth of talent on the current roster. Collier and Taylor are much more talented than the remaining roster. She would have a hard time making the 7-8 player rotations at UConn, Baylor, Notre Dame or South Carolina.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Kyndall Hunter is ranked by just about every recruiting site as a Top 20-25 player nationally for the class of 2021, I believe; perhaps higher. Anonymous message board posters trying to knock her down have their own agenda for doing so.

In the end, I think it comes down to Arizona (although they seem to be filling up quickly), Texas A&M (although they have picked up 3 transfer guards in the offseason), Texas, Southern Cal, and LSU.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Vic has made 3 national championship games in the last decade. Behind only Geno and Muffet.

Vic has done it at 2 different campuses (one of them without McCowan). If he makes it at Texas, name me another coach who's ever *made* it at 3 different campuses.

Dude is A-list, case closed.

Reaction Score
Vic has made 3 national championship games in the last decade. Behind only Geno and Muffet.

Vic has done it at 2 different campuses (one of them without McCowan). If he makes it at Texas, name me another coach who's ever *made* it at 3 different campuses.

Very good argument.

Reaction Score

Kind of weird to claim Texas A&M's achievements, but Vic is a very good coach.

Reaction Score

I see you included his assistant coach stint at Texas A&M as a national championship appearance. Using your logic, Niele Ivey already has national championship as a coach (two if I include her one as a player), Jeff Walz has one and Nikki McCrray-Penson has one as well.

Reaction Score

C. Viv Stringer made it to the Final Four on three different campuses. Cheyney State (Runner Up), Iowa (F4), and Rutgers (RU).That’s the first example that comes to mind.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I see you included his assistant coach stint at Texas A&M as a national championship appearance. Using your logic, Niele Ivey already has national championship as a coach (two if I include her one as a player), Jeff Walz has one and Nikki McCrray-Penson has one as well.

Don't get bogged down. I'm just saying he has a championship appearance as a head coach and an assistant coach. Jeff Walz is the only other one you named to have that. McCray doesn't have that obviously. I'm not saying his Texas A&M title counts officially as a title he won as a head coach.

Reaction Score
Under that line of reasoning, the University of Saint Joseph in West Hartford is an Elite Program in Men’s BB.

Maybe there are several considerations when determining which programs are Elite.

Reaction Score
Depends on how you define "A-list." A&M has won as many championships in the past decade as South Carolina,*** and Miss St. has been to two twice as many title games as South Carolina has. So I guess Dawn & co. are not A listers either? A&M and Miss St. have been to more title games in the past decade than have Duke, Oregon, Stanford, or Tennessee. Unless you define A-list to be an exclusive group of Baylor, UConn, and Notre Dame, I'd say she's looking at many of the top programs in the country.

***I do not count a "consensus national champions[hips]," which Gamecock boosters have apparently awarded themselves on the South Carolina wikipedia page.

The Ms. State had reached an A-list quality program with Vic. Not sure they ever reached A-level status in the minds of recruits, but Vic won with what he had.Their current status with a new coach drops them from the A-list (at least temporarily). She could prove me wrong

Tx A&M won one at the beginning of the decade but has fallen since that time. Still a GOOD program but it has been a while since they have won even an SEC regular season championship or tournament much less made an NCAA run. B-level program at this time.

Why did you mention Stanford? They aren't on her list. Did NC State's logo confuse you?

And no, Duke and Tennessee are not A-list programs at this Time. Tennessee is an historical blueblood but not A-list. Stanford? Still there. Oregon is, at least temporarily, on the A-list for recruits. You didn't list Maryland. The haven't fallen much

It's up to you if you want to consider Dawn's program a B-list program. Go ahead. I don't think recruits believe that to be so, but have at it if you want.

Reaction Score

Yes he is, but his program is not A-level - YET

Reaction Score
The Ms. State had reached an A-list quality program with Vic. Not sure they ever reached A-level status in the minds of recruits, but Vic won with what he had.Their current status with a new coach drops them from the A-list (at least temporarily). She could prove me wrong

Tx A&M won one at the beginning of the decade but has fallen since that time. Still a GOOD program but it has been a while since they have won even an SEC regular season championship or tournament much less made an NCAA run. B-level program at this time.

Why did you mention Stanford? They aren't on her list. Did NC State's logo confuse you?

And no, Duke and Tennessee are not A-list programs at this Time. Tennessee is an historical blueblood but not A-list. Stanford? Still there. Oregon is, at least temporarily, on the A-list for recruits. You didn't list Maryland. The haven't fallen much

It's up to you if you want to consider Dawn's program a B-list program. Go ahead. I don't think recruits believe that to be so, but have at it if you want.

That was a Hall of Very Good type final recruiting list.

No UConn, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, Louisville, Maryland, or South Carolina.

Miss State is certainly a top tier school though until proven otherwise. They should be really good this season. I might make them the SEC favorite when it is time to predict. If there is a time to predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom