Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As for the twin sister, she was never a D1 ability player, but any coach who wanted Courtney had to be willing to give sis a full ride as well--Papa and Mama Paris' rules (and sadly, the only way the twin sis was EVER going to get a schollie at ANY level other than some small mid-major, was to be a packaged recruit with Courtney. Good kids, but it was sad to watch the twin (Ashley) even TRY to function on a D1 level. She was not quite as large as Courtney, but close, but had absolutely NO D1 skills--and might not have been capable of even small mid-majors.
She definitely wasn't on the same level as her sister and package deal may have been part of the conversations but I feel like I remember Ashley losing a bunch of weight and becoming more of a forward and a starter her senior year and finding success that way. She nearly averaged a double-double her senior year. I also found, via the internet, that she was selected to the WBCA All-American game out of high school then was drafted by the Sparks. (was waived before the 11-man roster was selected, but still was drafted)

You are correct

Reaction Score
There's a solid chance Manasquan and St. Rose could meet again in the Tournament of Champions, which pares all the state sectional winners together. The teams on the Shore -- Manasquan, St. Rose, Rumson/Fairhaven, Red Bank Catholic -- are a killer's row and all could go far into their respective sectionals. I'll be heading to a few of those match-ups for sure.

watch out for Rutgers Prep.......they were very impressive when I saw them and that was after they lost there point guard to injury if I remember correctly......Leilani Correa is going to be awesome and their post player is much more athletic then she looks.......

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Is it just me or does Stanford seem to have a track record recruiting sisters?
Hull (Lexie and Lacie)
Samuelson (Bonnie and Karlie)
Ogwumike (Chiney and Nneka)

Doing some research also noted Tara has a sister coaching the women's bball team at UCSD (I never knew this??) so I can see how she sees the bond of sisterhood thru sports as something important and worthwhile.

Heidi VanDerveer Bio

DYMNWIHVLLWPTBV.20121011232038.jpg

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I feel kind of strange postting on that thread about players that either are no longer considering UConn or players that UConn has no clear interest in but still have interest to us because they may face UConn......haven't seen her since early in the season....let us know what you think

Trying to separate Andrea Aquino's involvement/being part of the Paterson Eastside situation, I went to her regular-season game against Arts. The competition was not good and she barely played in the last quarter. That said, I did get to all of her warm-ups (game started late) and the first three quarters. The good news: she's improved remarkably since I last saw her.

- She’s pretty agile, more so than I remembered/saw last time. In warm-up drills, she cuts, jumps, pivots, slides sideways well, particularly when you take into account her height (and she is 6'8") and factor in that she’s only been participating in sports for a few years.
- Hand-eye coordination is fine most of the time, particularly when the ball is up high. She grabs initial rebounds well and also helped her team break a full-court press easily by taking inbound and/or outlet passes, turning and firing two-handed outlet passes (Kevin Love-style) to wings up-court. From time to time, she would bring ball down to her waist and opposition would swat at it.
- On the minus side, from time to time, she would bring ball down to her waist and opposition would swat at it. She also let a few entry passes slip through her hands, but on at least one of those, the pass was much too fast.

- The best part of her shooting skill set is, surprisingly, her jump shot. Relatively compact stroke, good touch from the foul line in. She even stroked a three. And she was perfect from the line on free throws. She posted into the lane twice and deposited two baby hooks into the hoop – one lefty, one righty. She did not have that good a touch on traditional turn-around jump shots, which she attempted to bank. However, she had an excellent fake right- spin back to her left and finish with a left-handed finger roll.

- You can still tell the game is coming to her. Not everything is instinctive; there seems to be a slight hitch, then go to her movements. And she’s not consistently aggressive in many instances, particularly on defense or on multiple jumps at rebounds. However, once she makes her mind up offensively, she makes her move and goes. She also dove on the floor on two occasions, resulting in jump balls.
- Needs to get stronger and coached on elements like not bringing the ball down low or where to throw passes in tight spots or pressured situations. Both can be remedied easily with training and/or coaching.

After I wrote this report up, I watched the ND-BC game last night which -- because it was one-sided -- allowed ND's and BC's back-up centers to enter the game for long periods of time. Aquino moves just as well as they do and could benefit from that degree of coaching. Still don't think it is at that kind of level, but I could see a P5 school taking a chance on her or very much a mid-major.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As for the twin sister, she was never a D1 ability player, but any coach who wanted Courtney had to be willing to give sis a full ride as well--Papa and Mama Paris' rules (and sadly, the only way the twin sis was EVER going to get a schollie at ANY level other than some small mid-major, was to be a packaged recruit with Courtney. Good kids, but it was sad to watch the twin (Ashley) even TRY to function on a D1 level. She was not quite as large as Courtney, but close, but had absolutely NO D1 skills--and might not have been capable of even small mid-majors.
Really? The same Ashley Paris that actually did play 4 years of Div 1 WBB. Played in 30+ Div 1 games a year. Avg in double figures her Jr and Sr year at Div 1. Shot 50% from the field at Div 1 level. Scored over 1200 points in her career at Div 1. Was drafted by the WNBA.

All that with "NO Div 1 skills" or never being a "Div 1 ability player". You know that's pretty damn impressive.

I do hope Baylorprof that you are not a college, high school (or even pee-wee rec league) scout. What a maroon. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Trying to separate Andrea Aquino's involvement/being part of the Paterson Eastside situation, I went to her regular-season game against Arts. The competition was not good and she barely played in the last quarter. That said, I did get to all of her warm-ups (game started late) and the first three quarters. The good news: she's improved remarkably since I last saw her.

After I wrote this report up, I watched the ND-BC game last night which -- because it was one-sided -- allowed ND's and BC's back-up centers to enter the game for long periods of time. Aquino moves just as well as they do and could benefit from that degree of coaching. Still don't think it is at that kind of level, but I could see a P5 school taking a chance on her or very much a mid-major.

Not sure what will come from that report but glad to hear she is improving.....there's no doubt she is a pretty good athlete for such a tall person..........she can run from end to end effortlessly and her shooting touch is pretty good........I'm amazed though that in the game I saw they had her playing out on the foul line instead of posting her up against our "center" who was literally a foot shorter.....not one time did she try to back her in..........she should be as good or better then Felicia Aiyeotan on UVA I would think.............

Reaction Score
Really? The same Ashley Paris that actually did play 4 years of Div 1 WBB. Played in 30+ Div 1 games a year. Avg in double figures her Jr and Sr year at Div 1. Shot 50% from the field at Div 1 level. Scored over 1200 points in her career at Div 1. Was drafted by the WNBA.

All that with "NO Div 1 skills" or never being a "Div 1 ability player". You know that's pretty damn impressive.

I do hope Baylorprof that you are not a college, high school (or even pee-wee rec league) scout. What a maroon. :rolleyes:

Shades of Doggydaddy. And for the uninitiated, that is a compliment.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
hard to say but I think Evina Westbrook and Chasity Patterson should make impact at next level sooner then later..

Patterson will be playing behind McCarty so I think she will not have the freshman season that she could if she were going to a program where a PG is an immediate need.

I will not be surprised to see Alexis Morris have an instant impact at Baylor. However, she and Ursin will be fighting with Landrum for PG minutes, so the competition will be fierce.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter! Remember that name, she's far and away the best player in this class! Gary Blair got a good one for sure.

She is a good one. Quick and with a strong build. Glad TAMU is in the SEC now.

Booth is going to have a major impact at Texas, also.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Ashley was certainly a DI quality player. She was not nearly as good as Courtney, of course, but she would have made many squads.

Reaction Score
Patterson will be playing behind McCarty so I think she will not have the freshman season that she could if she were going to a program where a PG is an immediate need.

I will not be surprised to see Alexis Morris have an instant impact at Baylor. However, she and Ursin will be fighting with Landrum for PG minutes, so the competition will be fierce.

thought about that...........do you think they might play McCarty at shooting guard some of the time to get Patterson minutes? If I'm not mistaken, she has played in that role in the past

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not sure what will come from that report but glad to hear she is improving.....there's no doubt she is a pretty good athlete for such a tall person.....she can run from end to end effortlessly and her shooting touch is pretty good...I'm amazed though that in the game I saw they had her playing out on the foul line instead of posting her up against our "center" who was literally a foot shorter.....not one time did she try to back her in.....she should be as good or better then Felicia Aiyeotan on UVA I would think...

I agree with you on the low-post and on the Aiyeotan comparison. She did post in the Arts game but not as much as they should've.
Paterson's coach was just suspended on Friday and the Ghosts have a game on Monday. I feel like I've got a strange vested interest here now and will drive up to see the game to see what the heck happens (it took me all of 12 minutes to get there from Upper Montclair).

Reaction Score
I agree with you on the low-post and on the Aiyeotan comparison. She did post in the Arts game but not as much as they should've.
Paterson's coach was just suspended on Friday and the Ghosts have a game on Monday. I feel like I've got a strange vested interest here now and will drive up to see the game to see what the heck happens (it took me all of 12 minutes to get there from Upper Montclair).

based on my updated post on the other thread, they are not allowed to play again this season because of the controversy

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter! Remember that name, she's far and away the best player in this class! Gary Blair got a good one for sure.
I don't doubt she is good. I'm not sure she is better than Westbrook.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
based on my updated post on the other thread, they are not allowed to play again this season because of the controversy

The game was removed from the nj.com sports schedule. Who was to know I'd be attending their last game of the year?
My, I hope this gets resolved for the girls and guys and truly hope this does not cause issues for these kids' immigration status.

Reaction Score
The game was removed from the nj.com sports schedule. Who was to know I'd be attending their last game of the year?
My, I hope this gets resolved for the girls and guys and truly hope this does not cause issues for these kids' immigration status.

every time I read about a foreign born player coming over here to play I wonder what shenanigans took place to make that happen

Reaction Score
I don't doubt she is good. I'm not sure she is better than Westbrook.

I've seen them both on the Nike circuit and U18 world championships, Carter's game is much more polished then westbrooks and it's not close. I would say Westbrook has the advantage in height and court awareness but that's about it. Chennedy who was listed as a PG on most recruiting sites played guard in the U18 tourney and started over Westbrook alongside Walker and Harris.

The top 5 IMO:
Carter
Walker
Boothe
Patterson
Dana Evans

Reaction Score
I've seen them both on the Nike circuit and U18 world championships, Carter's game is much more polished then westbrooks and it's not close. I would say Westbrook has the advantage in height and court awareness but that's about it. Chennedy who was listed as a PG on most recruiting sites played guard in the U18 tourney and started over Westbrook alongside Walker and Harris.

The top 5 IMO:
Carter
Walker
Boothe
Patterson
Dana Evans

It will be interesting to see how Boothe adjusts to college ball............Having her and Holmes up front could be frightening but I have heard some rumblings about Boothe's head not always being in the game

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Boothe adjusts to college ball..Having her and Holmes up front could be frightening but I have heard some rumblings about Boothe's head not always being in the game

Yes the few times I've seen her play she happens to be in and out the game mentally. One moment she dominates scoring from everywhere and the next she's walking up the court with her head down. It will be interesting how she does at Texas.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
every time I read about a foreign born player coming over here to play I wonder what shenanigans took place to make that happen

Yeah, it kind of colors/filters/impacts everything now.
I play hoops with a guy who teaches at Passaic Tech and one of his students is the girl who Aquino lives with. He believes there is some kind of familial connection. His student is very good and Aquino is supposed to be, as well, according to what his student has told him.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it kind of colors/filters/impacts everything now.
I play hoops with a guy who teaches at Passaic Tech and one of his students is the girl who Aquino lives with. He believes there is some kind of familial connection. His student is very good and Aquino is supposed to be, as well, according to what his student has told him.

It's great if a kid who lives in difficult circumstances can make there way over here and hopefully earn a college scholarship but obviously it's gotta be done the legal way..............sad to see that winning at all costs trickles down to the high school level...........

Reaction Score
Yes the few times I've seen her play she happens to be in and out the game mentally. One moment she dominates scoring from everywhere and the next she's walking up the court with her head down. It will be interesting how she does at Texas.

That's certainly the opposite of Walker.............she is focused like a laser beam

Reaction Score
Call Jim Calhoun and Rick Pitino, they were/are the masters.

Reaction Score
Call Jim Calhoun and Rick Pitino, they were/are the masters.

I guess the USF WBB coach is probably the number one importer of basketball talent these days.............at least these recruits are usually adults.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom