Non-UConn News, 2023 part I | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn News, 2023 part I

Reaction Score
Shouldnt they thank her giving the chip……. Her diploma

Reaction Score
Another item to consider is that Massengill transferred for a second time and is playing at Florida State. She was able to graduate on time even though she likely lost some hours when transferring from Tennessee.

Reaction Score
This Edwards situation is getting messier and messier. The fact Coach Elzy's husband felt he had to put this out publicly makes me dislike how Edwards has handled this situation even more.

If she ends up having a chip on her shoulder fine. People find ways to motivate themselves in the manner. Prove it on the court next season instead of more trash talk.
This was Edward's father, right? So Dre isn't the one firing away in the text. I don't really thing trash talking is threatening someone. Anger and disappointment are great motivators. Her dad should just chill.

Reaction Score
This was Edward's father, right? So Dre isn't the one firing away in the text. I don't really thing trash talking is threatening someone. Anger and disappointment are great motivators. Her dad should just chill.
Yes this is her father and I agree he should just chill as well. Wish it didn't turn into this finger pointing fiasco.

The husband's claims of harassments and threats is a big claim. The screenshot he provided sounds like an angry parent who can't maintain their composure.

I'm not familiar with libel laws in the US, but it seems it's easier to sue than in Canada. I hope it doesn't get to a point where this gets to court. Wish both sides would move on from this.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Just catching up on this Edwards story. I must have missed it after Edwards transferred to Baylor, but I don't recall anyone ever publicly stating that Baylor understood Edwards would not be immediately eligible as she was not a grad-transfer. Was it out there? When Edwards started out the season on the bench (or in the stands?) in street clothes, I just don't recall Collen saying anything other than Edwards was "working hard (to become eligible)". So, Baylor was definitely not transparent with the expectation of her being eligible to play this season.

I guess I don't understand the rules at all. I thought the "one-time transfer" rule applied to an SA who had not already been granted immediately eligibility upon their first transfer. So, after Edwards transferred from Utah to Kentucky, she sat out a year (as that was before the one-time transfer rule even existed). She never used the one-time transfer exemption.

Conversely, when Aliyah Matharu transferred from MSU to Texas after the 2020-21 season, she was granted immediate eligibility; but, upon transferring a second time one year later to Florida (again as an undergrad-transfer), she is having to sit out this season.

As for Edwards, she spent one year at Utah, and 3 years at Kentucky, right? I get that not all players graduate in 4 years. If she had to earn 33 credit hours at Baylor in summer sessions and Fall semester, how far off was she from graduating from Kentucky? I was thinking perhaps she should have stayed at Kentucky through the summer to complete her undergraduate degree (like Shaylee Gonzales did at BYU for officially enrolling at Texas for the Fall). Perhaps she didn't meet academic requirements that allowed her to remain in good academic standing (accumulated enough credit hours to be classified as a senior), or a lot of her credits did not transfer from Kentucky to Baylor.

I personally don't think Edwards will stay at Baylor another year instead of going pro. Plus, the NCAA has a rule that you get 5 years to complete 4 seasons of play. She will have been in college 5 years already and having sat out two seasons without playing; you only get to non-medically redshirt once (other than the COVID season). Sounds like Baylor would have to get a waiver from the NCAA for her to be able to play next season. Even players who take a non-medical redshirt season and a medical redshirt season have to apply for a waiver for that 6th season.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
All I knew is that some coaches sign waivers for players who transfer more than once. LSU is Alexis Morris’s 4th school , Chrislyn Carr when she transferred to Syracuse (3rd school), etc. I assume they signed same form. I do not know.

Hannah Gusters just transferred to Oklahoma State. I assume Mulkey would have to sign form for her to play since it will be her second transfer. Will be interesting to see if she signs or not.

Regardless, Dree will sit this year and play for Baylor in 2023-2024 season. She has said she will return to Baylor next year.
I don't think we'll see Gusters this season. She hasn't been added to their 22-23 roster, and since she didn't suit up at all for LSU this season, I don't think she'll need Mulkey to sign a waiver for her to be eligible next season.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I don't think we'll see Gusters this season. She hasn't been added to their 22-23 roster, and since she didn't suit up at all for LSU this season, I don't think she'll need Mulkey to sign a waiver for her to be eligible next season.
But, was she still on scholarship at LSU this past Fall?

Back in the day, when you transferred in December/January for Spring enrollment, you weren't eligible for the next season until mid-December (basically 12 months later).

Reaction Score
Just catching up on this Edwards story. I must have missed it after Edwards transferred to Baylor, but I don't recall anyone ever publicly stating that Baylor understood Edwards would not be immediately eligible as she was not a grad-transfer. Was it out there? When Edwards started out the season on the bench (or in the stands?) in street clothes, I just don't recall Collen saying anything other than Edwards was "working hard (to become eligible)". So, Baylor was definitely not transparent with the expectation of her being eligible to play this season.

I guess I don't understand the rules at all. I thought the "one-time transfer" rule applied to an SA who had not already been granted immediately eligibility upon their first transfer. So, after Edwards transferred from Utah to Kentucky, she sat out a year (as that was before the one-time transfer rule even existed). She never used the one-time transfer exemption.

Conversely, when Aliyah Matharu transferred from MSU to Texas after the 2020-21 season, she was granted immediate eligibility; but, upon transferring a second time one year later to Florida (again as an undergrad-transfer), she is having to sit out this season.

As for Edwards, she spent one year at Utah, and 3 years at Kentucky, right?
I get that not all players graduate in 4 years. If she had to earn 33 credit hours at Baylor in summer sessions and Fall semester, how far off was she from graduating from Kentucky? I was thinking perhaps she should have stayed at Kentucky through the summer to complete her undergraduate degree (like Shaylee Gonzales did at BYU for officially enrolling at Texas for the Fall). Perhaps she didn't meet academic requirements that allowed her to remain in good academic standing (accumulated enough credit hours to be classified as a senior), or a lot of her credits did not transfer from Kentucky to Baylor.

I personally don't think Edwards will stay at Baylor another year instead of going pro. Plus, the NCAA has a rule that you get 5 years to complete 4 seasons of play. She will have been in college 5 years already and having sat out two seasons without playing; you only get to non-medically redshirt once (other than the COVID season). Sounds like Baylor would have to get a waiver from the NCAA for her to be able to play next season. Even players who take a non-medical redshirt season and a medical redshirt season have to apply for a waiver for that 6th season.
1) Completely forgot about Matharu. Based on this, Edwards is not the only one in this situation. Thanks for pointing this out.

2) That's correct based on what I reviewed. Was talking about this exact point with another friend. Something doesn't add up.

3) Not so sure about that with the COVID year. I'm sure someone will bring up Ali Patberg in this case :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This provides some clarity:

Thanks for sharing. Helps to further clarify things, to an extent. On this board and Baylor's there seems to be an assumption that there is a generic waiver that is applicable to this type of transfer situations. Collen's comment that there are several should quash the assumption that others who have been approved (e.g. Carr, McDaniels, etc.) fell into the same category as Edwards.

What's frustrating is that the NCAA's transfer policy is so murky. Fans are all over the place because not everyone reads all of the rules and regulations. Don't think this will ever change however unfortunately.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
But, was she still on scholarship at LSU this past Fall?

Back in the day, when you transferred in December/January for Spring enrollment, you weren't eligible for the next season until mid-December (basically 12 months later).
Even if you didn't play for the team? Interesting. I was under the impression that you just had to spend a year sitting out.

Gusters left the team before the beginning of the school year, but I remember early reports said that she was expected to remain enrolled through fall semester (and I think that schools are required to honor a player's scholarship for the rest of the semester in which they enter the portal). I'm pretty sure she's made her way to Stillwater for spring semester.

I guess we'll see in November!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Even if you didn't play for the team? Interesting. I was under the impression that you just had to spend a year sitting out.

Gusters left the team before the beginning of the school year, but I remember early reports said that she was expected to remain enrolled through fall semester (and I think that schools are required to honor a player's scholarship for the rest of the semester in which they enter the portal). I'm pretty sure she's made her way to Stillwater for spring semester.

I guess we'll see in November!
I don't know for sure. Typically, when you are required to "sit out a season" after transferring, it's at your new school; not sure 50/50 at prior/new school is gonna fly.

Reaction Score

Utah vs Arizona State on Friday has been cancelled due to player unavailability in the ASU program

Reaction Score
Not only are they cancelled, Arizona State doesn't get as lucky as UConn in terms of scheduling rules and ASU will forfeit both games against Colorado and Utah for record purposes.

Reaction Score
Unless she is the second coming of (fill in your favorite), 8th grader is too dang early to offer or verbal IMO.

Reaction Score
2027 commit
Jeff-Walz.gif

Reaction Score
Unless she is the second coming of (fill in your favorite), 8th grader is too dang early to offer or verbal IMO.

I read she’s a mix of sue bird and someone else. Supposedly the best 8th grader in the country right now. Called a “game changer”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom