Non-Key Tweets | Page 754 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Have to take it if an invite comes. It is all part of survival. I think the presumption was that we had 5-10 years before a big reshuffle would occur, which was obviously way off.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine that Cincinnati would be preferred over UConn. WVU, yeah, I could see that.

What's the thinking on the yard? If an ACC invite comes so soon after we joined the Big East, do we take it? I think so.
A full membership invite to ACC? I can't see how we would turn that down unless it came with the most absurd financial conditions ever. Thing is, it's not coming.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A full membership invite to ACC? I can't see how we would turn that down unless it came with the most absurd financial conditions ever. Thing is, it's not coming.

Read some comments from Bowlsby recently about how much has changed even since the last realignment talk (AAC teams to Big 12). He said they view everything differently now. Cable TV markets aren't very relevant. Broad national brand recognition and the size of your fanbase is what matters from a monetary value perspective.

To me this was obvious even then, but at least these guys have caught on. In that new world, UConn's value goes up. Some others go down.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur

@flugempire

·
7h

Ask yourself what PAC Media partner is paying for PAC expansion? Won’t be ESPN. They won’t pay the bump to other PAC 12 teams while adding more slices for PAC to feed in adding Texas Tech and TCU while paying the bump to 14 SEC schools at the time OU/UT SEC add. 1/2

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire

·
7h

Will it be FOX Sports who gives PAC the nod to expand into central timezone candidates Texas Tech, TCU and possibly 2 others? Not until FOX Sports/Big Ten and few PAC schools(USC)have finished their talks. Al roads to next realignment goes through Mark Silverman at FOX Sports.

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire

·
7h

ESPN consolidated their College Sports assets in approving to reopen new Tier 1 deal starting in 2024 with SEC to give 14 SEC’s schools another bump in helping to move OU & UT to SEC. 1/2

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire

·
7h

You don’t believe FOX Sports will at least attempt to do the same?…to consolidate top PAC schools into their money making Big Ten Conference? The attempt will be made before any other moves are supported by FOX Sports. 2/2

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire

·
7h

I’ve seen lots of comments in regards to the potential of ACC adding WVU after Big 12 implodes. Ask yourself is ESPN committed to this move? ESPN already needs to bump 14 ACC schools during their look-in..while increasing already massive SEC Media deals (OU/UT). Tough question

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire

·
7h

And of course there is the Academic/Research standards of PAC schools which is huge barrier for PAC expansion of Texas Tech, TCU and 2 others in some latest reporting. Next domino to fall is not PAC expansion. It’s the aftermath of top PAC Schools/Big Ten/FOX Sports talks.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Another way to view this....TX and OK couldnt stay in the B12... media landscape wouldt support them at a level on par with the SEC and B1G. So with ESPN's blessing they will join the SEC to save themselves.

A reconstituted B12 is likely to have a media deal on par with the AAC.... I would think...which is lowly.

And if that is the case, can Cinci and UCF justify the AAC GOR penalty to move to the zombie B12? I think not.

If the B12 cannot secure a new media rights package that is sufficiently lucrative to draw a few G5s forward, then it seems the B12 is dead because backfilling with the SunBelt or CUSA is just not palatable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another way to view this....TX and OK couldnt stay in the B12... media landscape wouldt support them at a level on par with the SEC and B1G. So with ESPN's blessing they will join the SEC to save themselves.

A reconstituted B12 is likely to have a media deal on par with the AAC.... I would think...which is lowly.

And if that is the case, can Cinci and UCF justify the AAC GOR penalty to move to the zombie B12? I think not.

If the B12 cannot secure a new media rights package that is sufficiently lucrative to draw a few G5s forward, then it seems the B12 is dead because backfilling with the SunBelt or CUSA is just not palatable under and circumstance.
IMO, only 1 of the AAC and B12 survive.

Once UT & Oklahoma are gone there is no cache to the B12 any longer. FOX would immediately blow up their deal with the conference putting all of the remaining B12 schools in limbo.

At that point the question becomes, which network wants to be the provider for the leftovers?

Does FOX decide to keep the B12 programming (with a few additions from the AAC) at a reduced rate or would they want to keep their ammo for the upcoming B1G negotiations? Or, does ESPN decide to bring some of the B12 leftovers into the AAC and provide a bump in money?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Once UT & Oklahoma are gone there is no cache to the B12 any longer. FOX would immediately blow up their deal with the conference putting all of the remaining B12 schools in limbo.

At that point the question becomes, which network wants to be the provider for the leftovers?

Does FOX decide to keep the B12 programming (with a few additions from the AAC) at a reduced rate or would they want to keep their ammo for the upcoming B1G negotiations? Or, does ESPN decide to bring some of the B12 leftovers into the AAC and provide a bump in money?
Yeah, but how does B12 add from the AAC give the 12 year GOR in place? Seems unlikely Fox could pay up to fix that expensive problem...unless ESPN agrees to let a couple AAC teams go and not financially penalize the conf...but even then maybe the fellow members of the AAC won't allow for such an easy exit. In the old B12 there was sufficient money to pay for G5 exits, but now it seems the B12 leftovers wont be able to offer enough to fix that issue.

Maybe the remaining B12 could add Boise and another MTW on the cheap because I dont think the MTW GOR is as strong.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Yeah, but how does B12 add from the AAC give the 12 year GOR in place? Seems unlikely Fox could pay up to fix that expensive problem...unless ESPN agrees to let a couple AAC teams go and not financially penalize the conf...but even then maybe the fellow members of the AAC won't allow for such an easy exit. In the old B12 there was sufficient money to pay for G5 exits, but now it seems the B12 leftovers wont be able to offer enough to fix that issue.

Maybe the remaining B12 could add Boise and another MTW on the cheap because I dont think the MTW GOR is as strong.
I dont think the AAC GOR came to be did it?

And with the AAC, there was a significant subplot; the conference wanted a grant-of-rights agreement that would lock schools in for the long term (making it so they’d have to pay substantial penalties if they chose to leave), arguing that they could get much more money that way, while top schools like UCF and Memphis wanted to keep their options open.

In the end, the AAC signed a long-term deal without a grant of rights. But they still managed to make a major increase in the amount of money they’re getting, which will be almost four times what it was. And a big part of that is about moving more of their content to ESPN+, ESPN’s over-the-top streaming service.

Reaction Score
Any time you can get the 40th most populated state which also lost more people than any other state over the past decade and is located over an hour away from the nearest TV market and is a school with average at best academics.........you go for it.

Your leaving out the best part it's so easy to travel to Morgantown.

Reaction Score

Yea i think the AAC is much more likely to add teams from the B12 than the opposite. They already have a cluster of southwestern locations, and i'd be shocked if the B12 just doesn't end up dissolving with no exit fees.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I dont think the AAC GOR came to be did it?

And with the AAC, there was a significant subplot; the conference wanted a grant-of-rights agreement that would lock schools in for the long term (making it so they’d have to pay substantial penalties if they chose to leave), arguing that they could get much more money that way, while top schools like UCF and Memphis wanted to keep their options open.

In the end, the AAC signed a long-term deal without a grant of rights. But they still managed to make a major increase in the amount of money they’re getting, which will be almost four times what it was. And a big part of that is about moving more of their content to ESPN+, ESPN’s over-the-top streaming service.
My bad.

Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but I found the paragraph from the latest ESPN article interesting:

"More likely, according to multiple sources around the ACC and Pac-12, would be an even bigger "alliance" that could result in something as simple as the Pac-12 and ACC teaming up to work toward a new TV deal and help balance the power commanded by the new 16-team SEC or perhaps a merger that could lead to a 32-team super conference."

Reaction Score
A recent tweet from Mike Vernon. His handle reads:
Current: Big Tech, KU Scoopsmeister | Past:
@BleacherReport,@sfchronicle and @KansanNews

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Nothing like Conference Realignment to get the Boneyard blood pumping again. The delusional Dude of WV, etc must be having a field day - that said, just spit balling here:

Texas A&M hates Texas. Texas going to SEC negates A&M advantage. A&M call Big Ten? Does Big Ten look at the Pac 12 which is hemorrhaging money and needed equity partners - take USC, UCLA, Oregon and Stanford? Effectively you now have 2 major conferences in SEC and Big Ten and 1 other P5 in ACC(only due to GOR until 2035). You have 2 dead in the water conferences in remainder of Pac and Big 12. And then you have the MWC and the Power 6 conference left. TV is happy because they pay out less for content(smaller contracts to those not in Top 3.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

AAC+Big12=

Big AAC.

1627070138207.png

Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but I found the paragraph from the latest ESPN article interesting:

"More likely, according to multiple sources around the ACC and Pac-12, would be an even bigger "alliance" that could result in something as simple as the Pac-12 and ACC teaming up to work toward a new TV deal and help balance the power commanded by the new 16-team SEC or perhaps a merger that could lead to a 32-team super conference."

We've said for a long time this is what is going to happen.

When Emmert openly questions the NCAA's usefulness, then you know there is a lot of forward thinking going on.

The move to depart from the NCAA is simultaneously going to be a move toward pro football and pro basketball.

Northwestern, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State etc. should be as worried as Oklahoma State right now.

The only way this DOESN'T happen is if the SEC is somehow dumb enough to reject Texas. If that happens and Texas lands in the B1G then you can have a balance of power that keeps the 4 conferences on somewhat of a competitive keel.

But if Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, then Clemson, Florida St., Michigan and Ohio State will start quaking in their boots. Go play second tier football at Michigan against the Indianas of the world or go play at Georgia against the best of the best. Pretty easy to see what's going to happen here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

When Emmert openly questions the NCAA's usefulness, then you know there is a lot of forward thinking going on.

The move to depart from the NCAA is simultaneously going to be a move toward pro football and pro basketball.

Northwestern, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State etc. should be as worried as Oklahoma State right now.

The only way this DOESN'T happen is if the SEC is somehow dumb enough to reject Texas. If that happens and Texas lands in the B1G then you can have a balance of power that keeps the 4 conferences on somewhat of a competitive keel.

But if Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, then Clemson, Florida St., Michigan and Ohio State will start quaking in their boots. Go play second tier football at Michigan against the Indianas of the world or go play at Georgia against the best of the best. Pretty easy to see what's going to happen here.

there will be 2 teams left in all of college football and they will just play each other over and over?

Reaction Score
This college realignment is so much more enjoyable this time around since we UConn fans have nothing to worry about.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

We will see what shakes out. The reality for the NCAA is that basketball funds it. Football funds the ADs at these schools. So there was always a disconnect. I don’t agree with your SEC prediction. In fact, UT is probably screwing itself here. Go win at Clemson or Ohio State or get curb stomped at Texas. The lower tier SEC schools are doomed. Missouri, Arkansas, Vandy and Miss State are really going to struggle. South Carolina, A&M and Ole Miss will perhaps be better but not really competitive.

I think OK State is a bad example. Vastly superior to all those schools at football and basketball. Iowa State is worried. At some point I wonder when we will see Northwestern and Vandy just bail on trying to be big time in sports. They don‘t need it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom