Non-Key Tweets | Page 758 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Didn't Nebraska lose it while it was in the process of being admitted when the AAU reclassified how some medical school research counted? I don't remember all of the details, but I thought it was on some technicality and it was already too late for the B1G to back out.
The process to evict Nebraska was begun a whole 2 years before they were evicted. At the time, the committee was dominated by several B1G presidents. Wisconsin's Pres. was the Associate chair and Michigan's pres. lead the committee that chucked Nebraska, and they did this a whole 2 years before Nebraska started the process of B1G admission. After the committee voted to evict them, there was a huge controversy among the general membership (remember, Syracuse was the other school that lost membership). There was a lot of fear that some of the more powerful members would start culling schools. The committee was then reformed with new members, but the leaders were the same: B1G schools.

So, in a very real sense it was the B1G's own doing to evict Nebraska from the AAU.

EDIT: the AAU designated the political pork that Nebraska received in the form of Ag. subsidies as non-research funding. The money was not won through grants or judged by peers, but instead was doled out through the political process.

Orc

Reaction Score
There is no way UConn is getting an invite to the ACC. If ND joins they will join with WVU. No way the football schools in the ACC want UConn.
Agreed. It doesn’t help that the former big east schools do not want want us in also. I think they’ll even take memphis and temple before us.

Reaction Score
Kansas and UConn together are a valuable property, Both colleges are not great at self promotion
Not really. They're both small schools with terrible football programs in states with small populations. UConn at least brings a respectable media market, but neither school has done anything recently in their most prominent sport (basketball) to get noticed, and we are just going to be out of sight out of mind buried in the Big East when these realignment talks occur.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not really. They're both small schools with terrible football programs in states with small populations. UConn at least brings a respectable media market, but neither school has done anything recently in their most prominent sport (basketball) to get noticed, and we are just going to be out of sight out of mind buried in the Big East when these realignment talks occur.
004CCF13-7F8B-42A3-BA2A-54CAFE9FEF4C.jpeg

In a coma in 2014?

Reaction Score
Agree, but if consolidation is happening among the power conferences, being on the outside looking in is not a good thing.
No where do I see anyone outside the boneyard having UConn being invited to a P5 Conference when this shakes out. One board, I think ND, has a list of 8 schools potentially to the ACC. No mention of UConn at all.

Reaction Score

The CT population is ranked 29th in the US. Oklahoma is 28th. Other states with smaller populations than CT include:

Utah 30
Iowa 33
Arkansas 34
Mississippi 35
Kansas 36
Nebraska 38
West Virginia 40

For Per Capital Income we are ranked 6th. Oklahoma is 44. Arkansas is 50. If it’s about streaming population and who will pay for the the service, we are ahead of many states, including those with P4/P5 schools.

Per Capita by State
Population by State

Reaction Score
States like Oklahoma, Mississippi and SC with multiple teams. Arkansas, West Virginia and of course Kansas K-State which is behind Connecticut, has 2 teams and negligible media markets nearby. We reach into NY and Mass. UConn's problem is perception after being snubbed by the ACC for Louisville, and a precipitous drop in football at the wrong time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
States like Oklahoma, Mississippi and SC with multiple teams. Arkansas, West Virginia and of course Kansas K-State which is behind Connecticut, has 2 teams and negligible media markets nearby. We reach into NY and Mass. UConn's problem is perception after being snubbed by the ACC for Louisville, and a precipitous drop in football at the wrong time.

Reputation and tradition will not matter nearly as much in an NIL world. It is "show me the money" time.

CL82

Reaction Score
No where do I see anyone outside the boneyard having UConn being invited to a P5 Conference when this shakes out. One board, I think ND, has a list of 8 schools potentially to the ACC. No mention of UConn at all.
Lol, well if a fan board doesn't have us in I guess we should shut down the whole program.

(BTW, was your comment relevant to my post? What, you couldn't wait for someone to actually say UConn was a candidate before you shot your load?) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Some kind of brain injury that you can't remember what's happened in the last 10 years?

Let me get you up to speed... this happened too:
View attachment 68771
It'll be 8 years since the men last won and 6 for the women (who will end that streak come April IMO). That's a lifetime ago these days. When conference realignment heats up, it's not the best time to be in a championship drought. UConn needs to have its brand front and center, and the only way it can do that is by winning basketball titles otherwise it's just another nameless face in a mid-major Catholic basketball league.

CL82

Reaction Score
It'll be 8 years since the men last won and 6 for the women (who will end that streak come April IMO). That's a lifetime ago these days. When conference realignment heats up, it's not the best time to be in a championship drought. UConn needs to have its brand front and center, and the only way it can do that is by winning basketball titles otherwise it's just another nameless face in a mid-major Catholic basketball league.
LMAO, that is quality stuff. Seven years is a lifetime ago? Well yeah, I guess, if you are seven years old. Are you seven years old? SMH, laughing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

UConn has landed back to back women's basketball superstars who will likely make more in NIL income than any other college athlete in New England over the next 12 months.

But yeah, something something championship drought killing our brand.

Reaction Score
H
Lol, well if a fan board doesn't have us in I guess we should shut down the whole program.

(BTW, was your comment relevant to my post? What, you couldn't wait for someone to actually say UConn was a candidate before you shot your load?) :rolleyes:
Here is a Syracuse site that does mention us, in a most impressive way!
3. Basketball superconference

Football obviously drives the bus, but being THE men’s and women’s basketball conference would be worth something, too. So what about some solution where the ACC decides to bite the bullet on UConn and Kansas football, with West Virginia joining as well.

The resulting men’s conference is 18 teams deep, with over 80 Final Four trips and over 20 national championships. Are we thrilled about this football result? Not particularly. Would it potentially be fine since there’d arguably be one national basketball conference and then everyone else? Possibly.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The B1G is not taking any B12 teams not named UT or OU and I doubt they'd actually want UT. KU is the only possible exception but unless they feel the need to appease Nebraska, I don't see it happening.

Reaction Score
B1G adds: UCONN, Kansas, UCLA, USC, Stanford, and Cal to get to a 20 team super conference with four 5-team divisions
The remains of the Big 12 and Pac 12 combine into a new western conference
WV joins the ACC or AAC

Reaction Score
It may be forgotten but...

Championship drought?

I can't take that characterization seriously. It is very hard to win a national championship. 2 in 10 years and you call it a drought?

I can see there's an argument that the championships have been forgotten but no one is calling it a drought.

Reaction Score
It may be forgotten but...

Championship drought?

I can't take that characterization seriously. It is very hard to win a national championship. 2 in 10 years and you call it a drought?

I can see there's an argument that the championships have been forgotten but no one is calling it a drought.

if we are in a drought what is it called at BC, Pitt, Cuse or Rutgers?

Reaction Score

Stewart Mandel

@slmandel

My TV data-driven story today on the future of the Big 12's other 8 schools. Charts like this are why it's going to be tough for any to land an invite to the ACC/B1G/Pac. https://theathletic.com/2731657/2021/07/27/mandel-big-12s-tv-numbers-explain-divide-between-texas-oklahoma-and-the-rest-and-why-remaining-8-should-worry/… Subscribe for 50% off.

1:55 PM · Jul 27, 2021·TweetDeck

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom