Non-Key Tweets | Page 984 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
They won't be "grabbing" those schools. They will wait for ACC schools.
Gonzaga has been discussed as an addition. At that point I wouldn't rule any of these schools out

But worst comes to worst, UConn could be picked up with the rest of the ACC schools. I don't see BC, Syracuse, or Pitt having more value

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps the only way UConn could get into the B10 is if it first gets into the ACC (or perhaps B12), its football team improves to be in at least the top 40, and university research and the school's endowment fund, double to triple. Perhaps, UConn could gain AAU membership. During all of this, mens and womens basketball still need to be outstanding. This may take a dozen years.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has been discussed as an addition. At that point I wouldn't rule any of these schools out

But worst comes to worst, UConn could be picked up with the rest of the ACC schools. I don't see BC, Syracuse, or Pitt having more value
I think Pitt is unique and the one program I wish we were reunited with. It puts the conference in B1G country, AAU, almost $6 billion endowment, and had a great basketball run while in the Big East. The implosion of the PAC 12 screwed UConn. The implosion of the ACC could do the same with Pitt, Louisville, and the other remnants taking spots. #CR#1

Reaction Score
The B12 could easily grab Memphis, Tulane, OSU, Wazzu, SDSU

Speaking of OSU and Wazzu, the B12 preferred us over them while they are both P5s and have very good Football programs with many fans. We were also preferred over Stanford and Cal. I didn't see any of these schools discussed as the potential fillers to round out 18

Next time you knock UConn's value, remember this

Regarding Stanford and Cal, I think the Big 12 would have taken them if those schools expressed any interest at all. Stanford and Cal had no intention of associating themselves with so many schools with lower academic rankings. Since the B1G did not extend an invite, the ACC was the only option for Stanford and Cal. They held out hope for a B1G invite until they realized it wasn't coming.

Reaction Score
Regarding Stanford and Cal, I think the Big 12 would have taken them if those schools expressed any interest at all. Stanford and Cal had no intention of associating themselves with so many schools with lower academic rankings. Since the B1G did not extend an invite, the ACC was the only option for Stanford and Cal. They held out hope for a B1G invite until they realized it wasn't coming.
I'm not even fully convinced the ACC wanted them as they didn't get enough votes the first time until they basically accepted 0 money for the first few years

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Very True.

What the ACC is becoming wanted them. The ones that voted no are all leaving.
The irony of which several of those wanting to leave also didn't vote for or wanted UConn yet Calfordsmu was able to sneak in. Can we call a mulligan?

Reaction Score
Calford,SMU came in on a confluence of events....the ACC needing to immediately have teams on board to avoid ESPN calling in the Composition Clause if two teams left the conference before 2025...and having needy teams ready to not only pack their travelling shoes but play on the cheap...

If you have time (and give a patootie)...this guy on College Football Addiction really breaks down where the ACC may be going...

Reaction Score
Calford,SMU came in on a confluence of events....the ACC needing to immediately have teams on board to avoid ESPN calling in the Composition Clause if two teams left the conference before 2025...and having needy teams ready to not only pack their travelling shoes but play on the cheap...

If you have time (and give a patootie)...this guy on College Football Addiction really breaks down where the ACC may be going...

What’s blatantly obvious is what a trainwreck the ACC has been over the last 20+ years and how fortunately for UConn that they “kicked us in the nutsack” several times. It’s like a successful family owned business being run into the ground by stupid and inept children. Every one of their moves has been shortsighted and impulsive.
Every school that left the old Big East for the “riches” of the ACC has seen their football and basketball brands suffer mightily.
I do believe/hope UConn will have Big 12 or other options before the ACC. As much as I resent the attitudes of the former BE teams, I’d consider a football only alliance with some of them even under the name ACC but with completely new management. And dumping BC amongst a few others. BC is quickly becoming Holy Cross.

Reaction Score
How hilarious would it be if SMU's pending entry into PAC12 led to its collapse and then immediately after its pending entry into the ACC led to its collapse? Wonder which conference would be willing to take the hit next.

Reaction Score
Calford,SMU came in on a confluence of events....the ACC needing to immediately have teams on board to avoid ESPN calling in the Composition Clause if two teams left the conference before 2025.
billybud, thank you for posting that video. I've watched it twice to try to understand what is going on. He does make some statements or assumptions which may or may not be true...specifically, that ESPN does not intend to renew the media deal in 2027.

The above statement doesn't appear correct. Cal, Stanford and SMU were not added to avoid triggering the Composition Clause if FSU and Clemson leave. The Composition Clause will still be triggered if two teams leave.

The ACC triggered it by adding Cal, Stanford, and SMU.

Cal, Stanford and SMU were added as a money grab to try to appease ACC members.

Per this article:

"...the ACC did not expand because Stanford, Cal and SMU offer competitive upgrades in the sports that matter (they don’t) or because they add equal revenue value to the existing television contract (they don’t) or because they make geographical and logistical sense for a conference that exists exclusively in the Eastern time zone (they don’t).

The ACC expanded because there was a pool of television money ESPN was contractually required to give it because of conference expansion, and most of that money will be hoarded by the existing members while the newbies subsidize their athletic departments in other ways. In SMU’s case, the desperation to get into a power conference was so strong, it reportedly agreed to forego a media-rights distribution for its first nine years as a member of the ACC.

In other words, SMU is going to literally pay to play in its new league despite being competitively irrelevant in its old one.

Explanation of the Composition Clause:

The ACC’s contract with ESPN, which is valued at $155 million a year, contains a standard line called a “composition clause” that allows either the conference or ESPN to reopen the deal if membership increases or decreases by at least two schools. The conference or the network can act on that clause any time the conference’s membership changes by at least two schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
C.W. Lambert@InsideTheBig12
Serious post... been saving this one... don't want the blowback. As of today, ESPN plans to pick up the option on the ACC's contract. Why? ESPN will pick up the option, unless Clemson and FSU buy their way out of the ACC, to prevent Clemson and FSU from leaving for the B1G.
2:53 PM · Apr 16, 2024

·
·
3h
Sources share information for a reason. They have an agenda. The reason, in this case, is clear. It's a message to Clemson and FSU. You can negotiate your way out of the ACC and into SEC profitability but forget about the B1G unless you have $512M.

·
3h
Let me add to the message. Hey Clemson/FSU... you are more valuable to ESPN than everyone else in the ACC. ESPN prefers you stay in the ACC, but if you have to leave, then ESPN will work with you and the ACC to transition ya'll to the SEC.

·
3h
But, ESPN has invested too much money in the ACC to let Clemson and FSU jump to the B1G.

·
2h
I keep trying to think of ways that Clemson and FSU end up in the Big 12... but I can't identify any plausible scenario where it could happen. The Big 12 can't anger ESPN or Fox.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom