Non Conference Schedule Released | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Non Conference Schedule Released

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My only real head scratcher is Stonehill. They probably have no upside to help our numbers at all, plus a ton of downside if we don’t blow the doors off them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It’s a little early in the day to be on the sauce isn’t it. This is not a challenging or impressive schedule at all. The out of conference schedule in its entirety is not impressive at all.
Pre-season #1 North Carolina OOC schedule with opponents Kenpom ratings
146 UNC Wilmington
144 College of Charleston
167 Gardner Webb
227 James Madison
180 PK tourney Portland
48 Indiana
241 The Citadel
31 Ohio State
27 Michigan

The Big East (2) has a higher conference RPI than the ACC (7) so having a lower ranked OOC schedule will not hurt the Huskies as much as the Tar Heels. I guess Davis doesn’t care.

At the risk of pissing off mau, I will invoke Geno’s name. Geno says he schedules teams that play a different style than conference teams so he can prepare his players for the tourney, where the Huskies will run into teams they don’t know. Maybe Hurley is thinking along the same lines.

Reaction Score
My only real head scratcher is Stonehill. They probably have no upside to help our numbers at all, plus a ton of downside if we don’t blow the doors off them.
We're going to beat them by 60.

Reaction Score
Another reason why Stonehill should not be on the schedule.
My buddy works for a lower division conference in New England as a commissioner, and he filled me in a bit on Stonehill. They weren't even good in their D2 conference. Haven't won their conference tournament since 2012, 10-9 in d2 conference last year. Graduating their best player, no good freshmen last year. Basketball gym seats less than 2k. Their school is literally 50% athletes (2500 enrollment, 1250 athletes). And now they have to do full scholarships lol. I have no idea how that math works out.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
My buddy works for a lower division conference in New England as a commissioner, and he filled me in a bit on Stonehill. They weren't even good in their D2 conference. Haven't won their conference tournament since 2012, 10-9 in d2 conference last year. Graduating their best player, no good freshmen last year. Basketball gym seats less than 2k. Their school is literally 50% athletes (2500 enrollment, 1250 athletes). And now they have to do full scholarships lol. I have no idea how that math works out.
It doesn't. Which is why the Division 1 transformation committee is coming for schools like Stonehill. They should be in Division 3. They are milking off of the sweat equity of the 200-250 schools that have been Division 1 for 50+ years.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The main concern I have with the OOC schedule is it puts a lot of stock in the PK85 games.

If we lose the first one, we could easily end up with zero quality wins through December.

The improvement in the cupcake portion of the schedule is welcome (more so for computer numbers than for home crowd excitement), but we really need to get another P5 home and home series in there, or an MSG game, or something, because having only one guaranteed solid P5 opponent plus the crapshoot of the Big XII pairing and early-season tournaments could leave our resume pretty bare.
The main concern I have with the OOC schedule is it puts a lot of stock in the PK85 games.
If we lose the first one, we could easily end up with zero quality wins through December.

logic right thar. scary, uncomfortable, and disconcerting, yet logic nonetheless. only a fool would dismiss this possibility. likely? no.
possible? yes.

Reaction Score
I’d think 1/2 of Buffalo/Ok State is in Gampel. If that’s not the case I might have to return my season tickets as I’m Gampel only (I’m aware I actually can’t do that but still). It would be terrible to not get one of the two “marquee” home opponents at Gampel.
It just seems the XL availability is the roadblock to that. Can’t fathom Stonehill at the XL on a Monday. Maybe im wrong but they do typically like to open on campus

shizzle787

Reaction Score
It just seems the XL availability is the roadblock to that. Can’t fathom Stonehill at the XL on a Monday. Maybe im wrong but they do typically like to open on campus
Gampel will likely get Nova, Creighton, and Providence this year so it will even out.

Reaction Score
More cupcakes than your local bakery. Not exactly a price to value relationship for the steep increase in season tickets. The cost on the secondary market is going to be low for those tilts. Dave B - you can do better than that.

Reaction Score
It doesn't. Which is why the Division 1 transformation committee is coming for schools like Stonehill. They should be in Division 3. They are milking off of the sweat equity of the 200-250 schools that have been Division 1 for 50+ years.
With admin creep ("administrative creep", aka the tendency for bureaucracy to get larger and less efficient), I wouldn't put it pass the NCAA to have a Transformation committee.

Or do you mean D1 Membership and Reclassification?

Reaction Score
Gampel will likely get Nova, Creighton, and Providence this year so it will even out.
Where is the prevailing assumption that the teams will alternate sites come from?

Id assume they would want to make these games in particular the highest money makers possible no? I know the alternate is old history but this is a new setup. Just curious if this has been confirmed anywhere

Further diving on this. We played Houston at home 3 straight times at XL in 16,17,19

I get the flipping back and forth makes sense on paper but with this money hungry regime I cant see them turning down Providence and Nova at a sold out XL

Reaction Score
It's a solid OOC schedule. Home slate could be better. I don't know if Hurley wants the easier games to avoid a potential loss, but it seems we could add a meh P5 team or an A10 level team. PKI is going to be great, except for the likely times.
The season ticket holders are considered by UConn to be cash cows. I think that has been and will continue to be a mistake.
Especially as seat prices have escalated, there needs to be both full OOC and home OOC filters applied to an analysis of the schedule.
If Danny isn’t comfortable playing anyone good at home, given the circumstances maybe play in slightly less stacked neutral tournaments where you in fact have a likely win and add a competitive OOC game to the home slate.
Again, I think it is exhibit A of poor schedule management to have all meaningful OOC games played by 12/7. With all our new players we are taking a huge risk if everything doesn’t jell quickly. I still line Calhoun’s approach of Jan/Feb marque OOC game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It is what it is. We’ve seen better and there have been a few years where it has been worse. It’s not Cuse like by any means but it isn’t overly adventurous. Why bother debating when it’s driven by the AD and in league cases, by the networks. Let’s just hope that Gampel doesn’t get slighted again. As far as I am concerned all home games should be on campus. Just win baby

Reaction Score
It’s a little early in the day to be on the sauce isn’t it. This is not a challenging or impressive schedule at all. The out of conference schedule in its entirety is not impressive at all.
Sick burn. I’ll tell Benedict to schedule Kentucky 11 straight games in a row for next years OOC slate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The season ticket holders are considered by UConn to be cash cows. I think that has been and will continue to be a mistake.
Especially as seat prices have escalated, there needs to be both full OOC and home OOC filters applied to an analysis of the schedule.
If Danny isn’t comfortable playing anyone good at home, given the circumstances maybe play in slightly less stacked neutral tournaments where you in fact have a likely win and add a competitive OOC game to the home slate.
Again, I think it is exhibit A of poor schedule management to have all meaningful OOC games played by 12/7. With all our new players we are taking a huge risk if everything doesn’t jell quickly. I still line Calhoun’s approach of Jan/Feb marque OOC game.
I recall that was common then. I’m pretty sure KU usually has one of those later big games as well. This year Kentucky Jan 28. IU and Harvard home in mid-late December too.

Reaction Score
Disappointing after last year seeing us kill the cupcakes and struggle against good competition. I thought we’d elevate more so we could gain useful experience. We are Syracuse with this OOC. Maybe it’s needed to get a bunch of new Huskies to gel before the BE schedule but damn…

Reaction Score
How many season ticketholders like myself did not have deep reservations before renewing?
They have just added some more bricks for us to carry on our backs. This is such a “stupid” business practice and I try not to use that word.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
P5/major conference schools per Big East school OOC so far:
Butler: 6
UConn: 5
Creighton: 7
DePaul: 4+ Loyola
Georgetown: 5
Marquette: 6
Providence: 3+URI (with several games to schedule)
Seton Hall: 6+URI (they also play St. Peter's)
St. John's: 5
Nova: 6+ 4 Philly matchups
Xavier: 6

Long story short: the excuse that other schools don't schedule tougher than us is not true. Almost all of the Big East schools challenge themselves more than we do in the OOC.

Reaction Score

This is why I commented on it early in this thread. I coached an AAU kid who played at Stonehill. Nothing about that school says "D1". Moving up to D1 these days clearly isn't a meritocracy, granted Bryant and UMass-Lowell aren't much better.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
This is why I commented on it early in this thread. I coached an AAU kid who played at Stonehill. Nothing about that school says "D1". Moving up to D1 these days clearly isn't a meritocracy, granted Bryant and UMass-Lowell aren't much better.
There should only be about 15 D1 schools in New England (the six flagships, the four Ivies, BC, Providence, BU, Northeastern, and Holy Cross). The rest are superfluous though I do think Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, and others should still be able to play D1 hockey.

Reaction Score
Some factors to consider to the people who whine about our non-con schedule, especially our "reluctance" to play good teams at home:
  • Almost all high-major teams have expanded the number of conference games
  • The Big East-Big 12 Battle started in 2019
  • Early season tournaments have expanded
    • There are 29 this season
    • In the 15-16 season, there were 22
    • I'm sure there were even less ten years ago

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads