Non Conference Schedule Released

Reaction Score
6AF81954-87C6-41C0-A565-0C6A98247FAF.jpeg

Ok let me take a stab at the location splits

Monday - 11/7 - Stonehill - Gampel
Friday - 11/11 - BU - XL
Tuesday - 11/15 - Buffalo - XL
Fri - 11/18 - UNCW - Gampel (WWE at XL)
Sun - 11/20 - Delaware St - Gampel (Women v NCSt at XL)
Thurs - 12/1 - Ok St - XL
Sat - 12/10 - Long Island - Gampel (Pack at XL)

Can’t see them leaving Campus on Fridays but i dont think it will be a 5-2 split. So lets guess one Friday at XL. Stonehill cant be at XL on a Monday, just can’t be. Had Delaware St set as an XL but gotta imagine Women vs NC State is a huge sales opportunity for XL. So then 4 - 3 Gampel OOC and assuming BE games go 5-5 to create 9 in Gampel and 8 at XL

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
View attachment 77930

Friday - 11/11 - BU - XL

Can’t see them leaving Campus on Fridays but i dont think it will be a 5-2 split. So lets guess one Friday at XL. Stonehill cant be at XL on a Monday, just can’t be. Had Delaware St set as an XL but gotta imagine Women vs NC State is a huge sales opportunity for XL. So then 4 - 3 Gampel OOC and assuming BE games go 5-5 to create 9 in Gampel and 8 at XL
The two best games (Okie State and Buffalo) being at XL would be welcome with me.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The complaints about the non-conference schedule are a bit tired at this point, especially considering the strength of the Big East.

Looking at UNC and Duke’s non-con schedules, and some other schools, our balance is not thaaat much different.

We have the opportunity to potentially play

Oregon
Alabama
UNC
Oklahoma St
Florida

The cupcakes are not as terrible as last season. I’m content with this schedule. Would’ve been nice to have a Harvard, Vermont or Yale thrown in there, but it doesn’t make that much of a difference. The Big East is going to be a ton of fun with Creighton, Nova, PC, Shaheen Holloway, Thad Matta, Sean Miller, etc.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I’m personally excited about UB, if I can make it in November I’ll catch that game. That’s a good and well coached mid major.

They’re not the Nate Oats UB but they’re not some low level squad. IConn barely got them a few years ago in (?) Charleston.

The tourneys are where we’ll have to make our noise for résumé purposes, it appears.

Reaction Score
The non conference schedule is fine. The home non conference schedule isn’t. When you are almost doubling seat prices over 3 years, to not correspond with more of an effort to provide better schedule quality, is frankly unexceptable.
I also question the basketball schedule wisdom. Basically the OOC quality games are over by December 7th. Jim Calhoun’s approach of having a quality late December OOC game and a quality mid season OOC game makes more sense. We are betting the house, we come out of the gates quick. If we fail at that we are in serious trouble.
Quite frankly, it is time to bring in a new schedule guy unless he is being overruled by Hurley.

Reaction Score
Projected 2023 Barttorvik

Stonehill - 363 (Q4)
Boston University - 324 (Q4)
Buffalo - 245 (Q4)
UNC Wilmington - 204 (Q4)
Delaware St - 349 (Q4)
Oregon - 33 (Q1)
Alabama - 37 (Q1) or Michigan St - 22 (Q1)
Oklahoma State - 30 (Q1)
Florida - 26 (Q1)
LIU - 293 (Q4)

Final Game of the PKI will be one of the following:

UNC - 4 (Q1)
Villanova - 15 (Q1)
Iowa State - 46 (Q1)
Portland - 111 (Q3)

As an FYI, this system projects UConn at 59 (so Q2 for all other teams).

Reaction Score

Final Game of the PKI will be one of the following:

UNC - 4 (Q1)
Villanova - 15 (Q1)
Iowa State - 46 (Q1)
Portland - 111 (Q3)

As an FYI, this system projects UConn at 59 (so Q2 for all other teams).
And that last line is why people should be putting zero stock into his projections for 2023 right now

Reaction Score
Weak schedule imo. Hopefully the Big East ends up being better then projected.

Reaction Score
View attachment 77930

Friday - 11/11 - BU - XL

It seems like every year we have less and less Saturday home games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a solid OOC schedule. Home slate could be better. I don't know if Hurley wants the easier games to avoid a potential loss, but it seems we could add a meh P5 team or an A10 level team. PKI is going to be great, except for the likely times.

Reaction Score
The main concern I have with the OOC schedule is it puts a lot of stock in the PK85 games.

If we lose the first one, we could easily end up with zero quality wins through December.

The improvement in the cupcake portion of the schedule is welcome (more so for computer numbers than for home crowd excitement), but we really need to get another P5 home and home series in there, or an MSG game, or something, because having only one guaranteed solid P5 opponent plus the crapshoot of the Big XII pairing and early-season tournaments could leave our resume pretty bare.

Reaction Score
Most national writers are saying that this is one of the better power non-conference schedules released. Complaints about the home schedule can be warranted but the schedule in it's entirety is strong.

Reaction Score
View attachment 77930

Friday - 11/11 - BU - XL

I didn't even realize we have a game on an NFL Sunday and against the worst team in CBB. Brutal.

Last time they did that against a low-major OOC was 2018 where they did it three times v. Maine, New Hampshire, and NJIT. Not sure why you would bring that back. At least it's only once, but yikes.

They did a better job last year of having all the OOC games on weekends be Saturday's as @lange10 noted (3 Saturday games v. CSU, Binghamton, and Grambling) last season.

I am guessing it is out of UConn's control and basically at the mercy of FOX/FS1.

Reaction Score
I didn't even realize we have a game on an NFL Sunday and against the worst team in CBB. Brutal.

Last time they did that against a low-major OOC was 2018 where they did it three times v. Maine, New Hampshire, and NJIT. Not sure why you would bring that back. At least it's only once, but yikes.

They did a better job last year of having all the OOC games on weekends be Saturday's as @lange10 noted (3 Saturday games v. CSU, Binghamton, and Grambling) last season.

I am guessing it is out of UConn's control and basically at the mercy of FOX/FS1.
As a Cowboys fan I'm praying the UConn game has an early tip. Don't want to miss a regular season NFL game for a cupcake.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
A step in the right direction, from last year. Our guys just have to stay focused and take care of business with blowouts against the cupcakes. Hopefully Hurley takes advantage of the cupcakes and gets the freshman early minutes to get their feet wet and ready to contribute when needed later in the season.

Reaction Score
The main concern I have with the OOC schedule is it puts a lot of stock in the PK85 games.

If we lose the first one, we could easily end up with zero quality wins through December.

They play either Alabama or Michigan State in the second game and one of Villanova, North Carolina, Iowa State, or Portland in the third. Aside from Oklahoma State and Florida, they will also start conference play in December. If they don’t have any quality wins through December, the schedule is probably not the issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 77930

Friday - 11/11 - BU - XL

I’d think 1/2 of Buffalo/Ok State is in Gampel. If that’s not the case I might have to return my season tickets as I’m Gampel only (I’m aware I actually can’t do that but still). It would be terrible to not get one of the two “marquee” home opponents at Gampel.

Reaction Score
And for that home schedule they raised their prices for season ticket holders? The athletic department should be ashamed. SMH
Yes, and we wouldn’t have Oklahoma State if it wasn’t for the Big 12 challenge. why, just think, we could have played Trinity or Wesleyan instead.

Reaction Score
Most national writers are saying that this is one of the better power non-conference schedules released. Complaints about the home schedule can be warranted but the schedule in it's entirety is strong.
It’s a little early in the day to be on the sauce isn’t it. This is not a challenging or impressive schedule at all. The out of conference schedule in its entirety is not impressive at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom