Non Conference Schedule Released | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Non Conference Schedule Released

Reaction Score
Some factors to consider to the people who whine about our non-con schedule, especially our "reluctance" to play good teams at home:
  • Almost all high-major teams have expanded the number of conference games
  • The Big East-Big 12 Battle started in 2019
  • Early season tournaments have expanded
    • There are 29 this season
    • In the 15-16 season, there were 22
    • I'm sure there were even less ten years ago
Scheduling is not as easy as most posters make it out to be 100%. But take a look at UNC for example (I randomly picked another PKI team):
  • 4 home cupcakes, 1 exhibition prior to PKI (we have 5 cupcakes)
  • 3 games at PKI (just like us)
  • At Indiana (ACC/B10 Challenge) -- we host OK State in ours
  • The Citadel at home (we're at Florida)
  • Ohio State in NYC (we host Long Island)
  • Michigan in Charlotte (we played an extra game before PKI)
So really, the only difference is changing one of the cupcakes to a P5 team -- UNC is afforded some extra opportunities in a way with those two neutral games -- but we've played in those one off neutral site games plenty of times (like Bonnies last year).

There is no reason that one of those 5 cupcakes before PKI could be a Home and Home or neutral site game. Would love to start the season, Game #1, vs an old Big East foe like Cuse or Rutgers as an annual tradition at MSG or Home and Home.

Reaction Score
The schedule isn't the worst and it isn't going to sink us, especially if we win the first game at PK—or at least avoid Portland.

But to hike up prices and then not give the home fans at least more interesting regional games is pretty rough.

Reaction Score
Some factors to consider to the people who whine about our non-con schedule, especially our "reluctance" to play good teams at home:
At some point in business one is told or knows, it is time to figure it out or it is time to get someone who can.

By doubling their seat prices, in many cases over 3 years, UConn has raised the stakes. The time is now.

Again, my complaint is about the Home schedule, so arguments about other games don’t hit home.

Reaction Score
There should only be about 15 D1 schools in New England (the six flagships, the four Ivies, BC, Providence, BU, Northeastern, and Holy Cross). The rest are superfluous though I do think Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, and others should still be able to play D1 hockey.
Bryant should be on the list. They are investing maniacally in facilities and coaches. No idea if that’s wise or not, but they are doing it.

Reaction Score

If people want to complain about the games for the money they pay, I get that. I care more about the schedule on the whole and if it gives the team opportunities for good wins. This one does. Don’t let anyone lie to you about needing to improve anyone’s “scheduling ability.” That’s just dumb. I’m glad they’re finally getting closure on the Florida series. That was supposed to wrap-up two years ago.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If people want to complain about the games for the money they pay, I get that. I care more about the schedule on the whole and if it gives the team opportunities for good wins. This one does. Don’t let anyone lie to you about needing to improve anyone’s “scheduling ability.” That’s just dumb. I’m glad they’re finally getting closure on the Florida series. That was supposed to wrap-up two years ago.

There is no good reason to play Stonehill or Delaware State from a metrics standpoint or from a interest standpoint for a season ticket holder.

With an already dreadful home slate, particularly after raising prices exponentially, these feel like valid points of contention.

Reaction Score
Quick tidbit on Boston University:

New Haven native and St. Luke's grad Walter Whyte is back for his extra year of eligibility.

He's had quite a career at BU:
  • 2949 minutes played (53 away from top-10)
  • 1238 points (223 away from top-10)
  • 144 three-pointers made (33 away from top-10)
  • 642 rebounds (62 away from top-10)
  • Career 54.0 2p%, 34.4 3p%

Reaction Score
With that in mind, let’s break down UConn’s nonconference schedule, which was released last week. Overall, it’s a pretty good slate, with bouts against Power Five foes like Oregon, Oklahoma State and Florida, as well as potentially Alabama, Michigan State, North Carolina and even Big East brethren Villanova.

Alternate free link:

UConn men’s basketball’s 2022-23 nonconference is set. Here’s what you need to know about opponents

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
On second thought, we might’ve been a lot a happier if we didn’t get paired up with Oklahoma State.

Reaction Score
Quick tidbit on Boston University:

New Haven native and St. Luke's grad Walter Whyte is back for his extra year of eligibility.

He's had quite a career at BU:
  • 2949 minutes played (53 away from top-10)
  • 1238 points (223 away from top-10)
  • 144 three-pointers made (33 away from top-10)
  • 642 rebounds (62 away from top-10)
  • Career 54.0 2p%, 34.4 3p%
TJ Power will break all of his records in a few years after he commits to an ACC school, never plays, and transfers home...

Reaction Score
I’ll make a preview when it gets closer to the game, but here’s Three Man Weave’s summary of OK State.

Here's hoping they have a "Hungry Huskies" like revenge season, as long as we take care of business vs them (and we're the ones cutting down the nets, of course)

Reaction Score

Quite frankly, there is no nice way to say it, this article has defined dumb downward. It pretends to talk about home OOC schedule but much of it is about neutral tournament games. The home OOC schedule is not “solid”, it is terrible. We expect some cupcake tune-up games, but bragging about games in the 200’s vs 300’s is a sad commentary on the aspiration of the program. Hanging your hat on Oklahoma State, a non elite, non top 30 team is really an insult to season ticket holders. And that’s for the building who gets that game. The other building gets none.
There’s no excuse for this and someone needs to take ownership as they are on the path to doubling prices while putting out very poor attractions.
Again, we are not asking for the World but each building needs one good OOC opponent. One building should get an elite opponent (top 10 type team) and the other one a top 25 type team. If you don’t feel your program is ready for that, reduce the neutral court games somewhat.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, there is no nice way to say it, this article has defined dumb downward. It pretends to talk about home OOC schedule but much of it is about neutral tournament games. The home OOC schedule is not “solid”, it is terrible. We expect some cupcake tune-up games, but bragging about games in the 200’s vs 300’s is a sad commentary on the aspiration of the program. Hanging your hat on Oklahoma State, a non elite, non top 30 team is really an insult to season ticket holders. And that’s for the building who gets that game. The other building gets none.
There’s no excuse for this and someone needs to take ownership as they are on the path to doubling prices while putting out very poor attractions.
Again, we are not asking for the World but each building needs one good OOC opponent. One building should get an elite opponent (top 10 type team) and the other one a top 25 type team. If you don’t feel your program is ready for that, reduce the neutral court games somewhat.
Been screaming this for a long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom