"No Flow to Our Offense" - Geno expands on post-SC comments | The Boneyard

"No Flow to Our Offense" - Geno expands on post-SC comments

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lots of new comments and info from Geno including that Azzi has been playing injured. Also more on the rebounding dilemma, Paige being left on an island, and reviews for the play of ONO and Edwards.

“Azzi is not 100 percent healthy,” Auriemma said. “She’s playing on a bad foot so we’ve got to address that. If she’s healthy, that changes a lot about our offense. She can’t move as well as she needs to move. That’s an issue we’re going to be addressing this week.”

Auriemma couldn’t rely on Fudd for long stretches against South Carolina for two reasons. She was a defensive liability and South Carolina went right at her, and she couldn’t free herself up on offense.

“She’s been hampered by a bad foot,” Auriemma said. “And it’s difficult for her to get away from people.”

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Just Keep Azzi off until 100%. Use your depth.
Are you being facetious? Clearly UCONN has no useful depth at this time. At least no serious depth against serious opponents. No, I am not being facetious. :)

Reaction Score
Drives me crazy to see 6’2 Caroline who is scrappy and supposedly also a great shooter just sitting on the bench. If Azzi needs to heal, give Caroline some more time! If nothing else, she’ll become more familiar with actual game schemes and situations.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Drives me crazy to see 6’2 Caroline who is scrappy and supposedly also a great shooter just sitting on the bench. If Azzi needs to heal, give Caroline some more time! If nothing else, she’ll become more familiar with actual game schemes and situations.
I was surprised that she didn’t get more burn in the Bahamas. I’m sure Geno had his reasons.

Reaction Score
It seems even to Auriemma this is a 2 person team. Funny, he was effusive in declaring USF Fudd’s ”breakout” game but the next day she can’t stay on the court because she is hurt?
He let Bueckers decide for herself how she would play last year and now…
For those looking to comment or be offended, I am going to halt my posting under the old guise of “if you have nothing good to say”……….……………

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Are you being facetious? Clearly UCONN has no useful depth at this time. At least no serious depth against serious opponents. No, I am not being facetious. :)
Just my opinion with BE schedule coming, we should be able to manage just fine but I know this is not the way things are done. Just tape it up. (That is facetious) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I try not to second question the coaching but... if a player, especially with Azzi's skill set, is or has an injury and it causes you to mention it, do not play that player. I mean if you know it and then a day or two later casually throw it out there that a player is not 100% but in a previous game she dropped 18 be it all on 3point shots but she played 27 minutes in that game questions are raised. I love Coach Geno but he and the coaching staff need to open up the roster. Let the defense (full court pressing) set up our offense. We are horrible (right now) in the halfcourt with our offense against really great teams. Against teams that are getting to that great stage, we look REAL good in the halfcourt offense. The key is getting REAL good against those great teams. We got some really good/great teams coming up. We will get better. I do wish Coach would use that bench more. 40 Minutes of Hell, Coach!! :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It seems even to Auriemma this is a 2 person team. Funny, he was effusive in declaring USF Fudd’s ”breakout” game but the next day she can’t stay on the court because she is hurt?
He let Bueckers decide for herself how she would play last year and now…
For those looking to comment or be offended, I am going to halt my posting under the old guise of “if you have nothing good to say”……….……………
LOL, you realize the message board isn’t a monologue, right? If you don’t want anyone to comment on your thoughts print them out on a piece of paper at home and stare at them lovingly.

In any event, you will probably be much happier if you realize that Geno’s comments aren’t directed at you personally and intended to confuse you. Often, I suspect, they are a way to give players the message they need at the time that they need it.

Reaction Score
a follow up question might be, why is there no useful depth

Reaction Score
Walking wounded with AG and Azzi. At least the light early schedule works in UConn's favor by giving them time to heal. Give CD the minutes!

Reaction Score
Geno tells the kids their playing time is dependent on practice. So, I don’t think he’s going to extend the rotation beyond what it is now. Regardless of who is injured or not. This is one thing I hate that Geno is doing with this team. The team has players that can go toe to toe with SC. Will it be pretty with the role players? No. But if Azzi still has the foot injury, she needs to rest.

Reaction Score
I agree what the hell is she doing on the bench?? Come on Geno stop playing your games and put her in.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Rutgers1982

Papa33

What depth to you claim? Certainly Geno does not see the depth. Azzi contributed well in two games out of four. Dorka is not contributing other than be 6'5". I have no idea what happened to Nika but she is not playing like last year. Caroline could use game minutes to develop. So you have the starters, two subs and potentially Aubrey who has been an athletic wonder but not an all around player particularly on offense, Geno says she has improved BUT he said the same thing about Nika, He has lost confidence in Caroline already even though he lauded her practice play. When the rubber meets the road Geno's players' don't show any real development.
Minutes per game
Starting five: Paige 36.3, Evina 35.3, Christyn 32.5. Olivia 28.3, Aalyiah 20.0
Substitutes: Azzi 19.5, Dorka 14.3
Bench: Nika 8.3, Caroline 6.3, Piath 2.0, Mir 2.0, Amari 0.0!, Aubrey injured.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This is why we need a couple of cupcakes to start the season. Get the new players integrated to the system, get the new players PT to get acclimated to the college game. When you start with pretty good teams two things happen, or I should say don't happen. If you give minutes to the new guys you will lose, or to win they will get limited minutes or don't play at all. Right now, we are 4 games in and are at square one. Not enough PT for the new guys, a loss, and by the way, in all of November we only play 4 games, and 3 of them in 3 days. We have some pretty good teams coming up and we don't have a bench rotation, because if we don't have games how are we going to get any chemistry. We could actually lose more games, so in my opinion we will probably see the same players as last year, with maybe 2 players off the bench. What happened to the 9 or 10 player rotation we have been counting on?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This is why we need a couple of cupcakes to start the season. Get the new players integrated to the system, get the new players PT to get acclimated to the college game. When you start with pretty good teams two things happen, or I should say don't happen. If you give minutes to the new guys you will lose, or to win they will get limited minutes or don't play at all. Right now, we are 4 games in and are at square one. Not enough PT for the new guys, a loss, and by the way, in all of November we only play 4 games, and 3 of them in 3 days. We have some pretty good teams coming up and we don't have a bench rotation, because if we don't have games how are we going to get any chemistry. We could actually lose more games, so in my opinion we will probably see the same players as last year, with maybe 2 players off the bench. What happened to the 9 or 10 player rotation we have been counting on?

Muhl, Ducharme, Griffin when she comes back, and Juhasz should all get more PT as UConn gets into its softer conference schedule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom