NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) | The Boneyard

NIL (Name, Image, Likeness)

Reaction Score
About a month ago, ESPN had an article on college basketball’s twenty-five most marketable players. The list is an interesting one with eleven females and with a significant number either having never played a college game, like Azzi Fudd, or with just one season on their belts.

With regard to the women, eight are nationally known players and three are internet/media stars, although good players, Hanna and Haley Cavender of Fresno State (ranked #3), Casey Ferguson of South Alabama (10), and Jaden Ownes of Baylor (17). The others are Paige Bueckers (#1), Hailey Van Lith (5), Sedona Prince (6), Azzi Fudd (12), Haley Jones (14), Aliyah Boston (15), Caitlin Clark (16), and Zia Cooke (22). At this early NIL stage and without considering college athletes in other sports (imagine the marketability of the Alabama quarterback?), what can we postulate as to reasons. Paige Bueckers is at the top of the list and the reasons are quite clear and they are likely similar for others on the list - she is an outstanding athlete, has personality and swagger, and she photographs well. An additional factor is that she plays on a national stage like no other in women’s basketball. We all know all the publicity that high schooler Azzi Fudd (12) has achieved, yet it is doubtful that she would have ranked so high had she attended, say, Indiana or Tennessee. Caitlin Clark is listed 16th. She is just as good a player as Bueckers, but, how many times have we seen Iowa on national TV? Hopefully a good deal more this upcoming season.

The possibility for wealth is likely going to be limited to just a handful, and one wonders what effect such may have on the game itself and interpersonal team relationships. How might NIL effect recruiting? Coaches have a number of ways of sell their programs, but new ones now emerge. You will be playing on a national stage and/or you will be playing in a top media market. Our university has X and Y who have made hundreds of thousands and we can help you, too. Our school is noted for its marketing of our program and we can do the same for you, and so on. Then there is the question of playing for time on Sports Center. The spectacular dunk, unbelievable no look pass, not to mention game winning shots are staples, but may not athletes think even more about themselves with a lot of $ on the line? Women’s basketball has always been known as a team sport and that is the beauty of it. Will this change? How will 18 and 19 year olds react to acclaim for a single person on the squad when they get little or none? Will decisions be made more with a regard to marketing than the good of the team?

What other Huskies, if any, could achieve fame and fortune? Olivia Nelson Odoba, Nika Mühl, Aaliyah Edwards?

We are entering uncharted waters (and this does not even consider the influence of wide ranging sports betting). Let’s hope for the best, that our Huskies will continue to prosper and play the team game that we have loved for so long.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Color me skeptical and among those who are doubtful that heavy social media following can be monetized for the vast majority of NCAA athletes even with the new NIL rules. Us fans tend to significantly underestimate the amount of time it takes to be a high caliber student and athlete. Sure the Alabama quarterback and some other players are going to collect some dollars but what will that do to the team dynamics and is anyone other quarterback in the SEC in for even close to a similar payday. It is also noteworthy that Paige had a heavy social media following prior to her arrival at UCONN. Paige has become the best player in WCBB and despite that elevated stage of UCONN WBB has received 1 NIL endorsement according to published reports. It is extremely hard for me to believe that ONO, Nika, Aaliyah who did not have nearly the social media following as Page are suddenly in for a windfall or fortune because of NIL endorsements.

Reaction Score
The way NIL will sift out is exactly like how it works for pro athlete sponsorships. A handful make big bucks. Another handful do well. Most hope for getting into a local car dealer ad.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I could be wrong so do not shoot me but I have read in several places the NIL benefits only apply to US citizens
That is my understanding as well.
Don't see how that could be practical, fair, or enforceable.

From the NCAA website:
"Governance bodies in all three divisions today (June 30th 2021 ) adopted a uniform interim policy suspending NCAA name, image and likeness rules for all incoming and current student-athletes in all sports.

This is an interim policy but the only thing that could change it is federal legislation.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Don't see how that could be practical, fair, or enforceable.

From the NCAA website:
"Governance bodies in all three divisions today (June 30th 2021 ) adopted a uniform interim policy suspending NCAA name, image and likeness rules for all incoming and current student-athletes in all sports.

This is an interim policy but the only thing that could change it is federal legislation.

It was my understanding that it is a visa issue.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How so?
Under federal law, if you are in this country under a student visa, you are not allowed to hold a job and earn a paycheck. However, if you are in this country under a green card (work visa), you can hold a job and earn a paycheck. As of right now all foreign born college athletes are in the US under the rules governed by student visas.

Reaction Score
Some of CW's drives and shots over the years have been so darn breathtaking. Likewise for Aubrey, although her limited playing time doesn't lend itself to national recognition.

Reaction Score
Thanks this was very informative. Sounds like the solution would be for the US government to issue a different type of visa. A visa that would allow them to work outside of the college campus.
Or allow student visas to be converted into work visas. This is a simple solution which means it will take the federal government 10 years to figure it out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Or allow student visas to be converted into work visas. This is a simple solution which means it will take the federal government 10 years to figure it out.
Considering that the NCAA practically begged Congress to get them off the hook by passing a law on NIL, with Congress doing nothing of the sort, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Congress to take any action on student visa work rules anytime soon.

Reaction Score
With AP dunking ability 2 hands ally hoops. Whatever the guys doing she’s basically doing will gain major endorsement deals once she arrives

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Sounds like they are just figuring it out for international athletes. Looks like they can get endorsements from their home countries.

Here is a link to the Toronto Newspaper Article.

#eqxsales - Explore

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Color me skeptical and among those who are doubtful that heavy social media following can be monetized for the vast majority of NCAA athletes even with the new NIL rules. Us fans tend to significantly underestimate the amount of time it takes to be a high caliber student and athlete. Sure the Alabama quarterback and some other players are going to collect some dollars but what will that do to the team dynamics and is anyone other quarterback in the SEC in for even close to a similar payday. It is also noteworthy that Paige had a heavy social media following prior to her arrival at UCONN. Paige has become the best player in WCBB and despite that elevated stage of UCONN WBB has received 1 NIL endorsement according to published reports. It is extremely hard for me to believe that ONO, Nika, Aaliyah who did not have nearly the social media following as Page are suddenly in for a windfall or fortune because of NIL endorsements.
I dont see others making nearly as much as Paige does, but endorsement deals will still be a plenty. SmartyStreets has endorsed all BYU female athletes to earn up to 6k this year for promoting their company on social media and I've noticed many lower profile volleyball players who have received endorsement deals, often locally for stores and restaurants in their college town.

Considering so many youth now aspire to be influencers, my guess is that most athletes with 5k+ followings will try to capitalize on that and make extra side money, even if it isn't a ton. Colleges with greater exposure (aka UCONN, South Carolina, etc) will likely field the best opportunities since they have bigger fan bases and are more frequently in the media.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom