Nika Starting Against Butler (For Evina) | The Boneyard

Nika Starting Against Butler (For Evina)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Maria Marino just announced this on the SNY pregame show. Evina will come off the bench.

I think this is the right move if Nika can now play starter's minutes. Evina can back up Nika at PG and back up Caroline Ducharme on the wing. Evina will still get plenty of minutes, but hopefully most of them will not be at PG.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That's pretty stunning. Not sure if that is desperation or if Westbrook's not 100%. Maybe trying to take the pressure off her.

Reaction Score
Kinda makes sense since Evina is the more versatile player (can play 1-4) while Nika is more of a PG/Combo guard (1-2). That means Evina can sub for pretty much anyone

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kinda makes sense since Evina is the more versatile player (can play 1-4) while Nika is more of a PG/Combo guard (1-2). That means Evina can sub for pretty much anyone
Nika is pretty much a PG. She doesn’t have the tools to be a shooting guard, mainly, the ability to shoot consistently or create her own shot.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not too surprising for me. Evina looked sick last game and to me it appears that she's not fully recovered. I hope Dorka is better as well and gets to play the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
This could make sense on several levels. Caroline has earned a starting position and she looks more and more like a natural 3. Evina can play the point, but is not a natural point guard. Nika is a natural point guard but more of a one position player, as is Christyn at the 2. Both can play elsewhere but are much better at their natural position.

Evina can play pretty well 1-3, with even some time at the 4, which makes her an ideal player off the bench to be the principle substitute for all three starting guards until Azzi returns. With Azzi on board further decisions will have to be made, but if she has a breakout game or two and Christyn continues to struggle, another senior starter could be relegated to the bench.

Reaction Score
Evina plays to relax. I don’t if it’s her knee still but she slows the pace down a bit when it’s an opportunity for fast breaks. She’s pass up a lot of open shots to look for a teammate. For me it’s hard to admit but the younger players seem like the ones who should be out there. Paige CD Azzi even Daberry look like she’s going to be active when she gets more playing time. I like her effort on the floor she battles hard for rebounds and even tho she was 0 for 8 tonight against Butler she has a nice stroke. I’m looking forwards the future as this team grows tho. That being said can’t wait for PB&J to get back.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This was the first time in her career that Evina did not start, according to SNY.

Reaction Score
I love this adjustment. It worked and provided a spark to the game and team. Like Coach G said, having Evina coming off the bench provided some "instant" offense for the 2nd unit. Nika provided some energy and pace to the transition game. Evina was aggressive with her shooting and attacking the rim when she got in. It is all about the team and seeing what works and what doesn't work. This move worked, for this game. Hopefully it works against Xavier. If not, Coach G will try something else.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
This could make sense on several levels. Caroline has earned a starting position and she looks more and more like a natural 3. Evina can play the point, but is not a natural point guard. Nika is a natural point guard but more of a one position player, as is Christyn at the 2. Both can play elsewhere but are much better at their natural position.

Evina can play pretty well 1-3, with even some time at the 4, which makes her an ideal player off the bench to be the principle substitute for all three starting guards until Azzi returns. With Azzi on board further decisions will have to be made, but if she has a breakout game or two and Christyn continues to struggle, another senior starter could be relegated to the bench.
This post is spot-on. In addition, I don't see Azzi competing for the same starting position currently occupied by Caroline. Caroline is 6'2", and I think her arms are even longer. Evina is the perfect player to substitute for Caroline. If Caroline can cement her starting role for the rest of this season, she'll be a devastatingly good player in 2023.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Paige was, actually.
Well, Muhl started 15 games of the 23 she appeared in, and as others have stated, she is a PG period. Bueckers started in all 29 games she appeared in so 14 of those were at PG. Muhl started down the home stretch of the season so it is safe to say she would have started the four NCAA games after High Point if she had not gotten hurt in that game (provided, of course, Uconn still won the three preceding Arizona).
So, assuming the same results for the four NCAA games after High Point, Muhl would have started 19 of the 26 games (she played against Arizona but did not start because of the injury) that she and Bueckers both played in. I think it is very safe to say she was the starting point guard last year.

Reaction Score
Coaches want to squeeze whatever productivity they can out of every player. From Geno's perspective maybe starting someone new is inevitable because Caroline isn't coming out of the lineup. At some point Paige is coming back so at some point it was going to have to be addressed. To me, Nika's biggest value is setting the tone of the defense, giving the starters some rest and injury backup. So he gets a little boost maybe from Nika in setting the tone and increasing the pace of the offense right up front. He said his reserve depth is having problems scoring and Evina and presumably Azzi could help a lot in that regard. I wouldn't be surprised if he uses this approach until South Carolina.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well, Muhl started 15 games of the 23 she appeared in, and as others have stated, she is a PG period. Bueckers started in all 29 games she appeared in so 14 of those were at PG. Muhl started down the home stretch of the season so it is safe to say she would have started the four NCAA games after High Point if she had not gotten hurt in that game (provided, of course, Uconn still won the three preceding Arizona).
So, assuming the same results for the four NCAA games after High Point, Muhl would have started 19 of the 26 games (she played against Arizona but did not start because of the injury) that she and Bueckers both played in. I think it is very safe to say she was the starting point guard last year.

Muhl may be A point guard but she wasn't running the show for UConn when she was on the court with Bueckers.

I like Nika, but a big reason she started last year was due to lack of other options. Edwards had not quite earned the trust to start early on, otherwise there is no way Geno starts fours guards. She's a really nice complimentary player but I don't think we know yet how well she'd hold up against major competition.

Reaction Score
Muhl may be A point guard but she wasn't running the show for UConn when she was on the court with Bueckers.

I like Nika, but a big reason she started last year was due to lack of other options. Edwards had not quite earned the trust to start early on, otherwise there is no way Geno starts fours guards. She's a really nice complimentary player but I don't think we know yet how well she'd hold up against major competition.
I love the left handed “but compliments” many of you throw out for certain players while you explain why they REALLY were just lucky to get on the court. Then you cite Edwards who unfortunately has taken a step backward this year, who in fact LOST a starting position by her PLAY this year, not because of injuries like Muhl did.
The fact is Muhl WAS the point guard, her insertion into the lineup last year turned Uconn into a better team, a grittier team, and my opinion is they beat Arizona if she starts because she sure as heck would have brought the energy and determination from the start the others lacked in that game, including Bueckers. The only time Uconn brought the game to Arizona was the 4th quarter when Muhl was inserted and the urgency and energy Uconn played with increased tangibly.
Is Muhl the player Bueckers is, of course not, but she brings intangibles not measured in statistics that winning teams require; there is only one ball and ten players and people who only focus on what happens with the ball don’t really understand or appreciate the importance of chemistry, the nuances and subtleties of the game. That is the reason highlight reels are great for fans but essentially useless in evaluating players; coaches and scouts need to see the entirety of a player for the whole game, very preferably in person.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love the left handed “but compliments” many of you throw out for certain players while you explain why they REALLY were just lucky to get on the court. Then you cite Edwards who unfortunately has taken a step backward this year, who in fact LOST a starting position by her PLAY this year, not because of injuries like Muhl did.
The fact is Muhl WAS the point guard, her insertion into the lineup last year turned Uconn into a better team, a grittier team, and my opinion is they beat Arizona if she starts because she sure as heck would have brought the energy and determination from the start the others lacked in that game, including Bueckers. The only time Uconn brought the game to Arizona was the 4th quarter when Muhl was inserted and the urgency and energy Uconn played with increased tangibly.
Is Muhl the player Bueckers is, of course not, but she brings intangibles not measured in statistics that winning teams require; there is only one ball and ten players and people who only focus on what happens with the ball don’t really understand or appreciate the importance of chemistry, the nuances and subtleties of the game. That is the reason highlight reels are great for fans but essentially useless in evaluating players; coaches and scouts need to see the entirety of a player for the whole game, very preferably in person.
When Nika is at the point, the team plays much faster on offense which is a HUGE boost!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Muhl still was not the point guard even if you put it in caps. Certainly not the majority of the time. She also wasn't healthy in the Arizona game and was a hindrance defensively because of it.

Nobody said Muhl was lucky to get on the court, but there is some re-writing of history going on here. Nika got her starting job last year as a result of injuries to both CW and Aubrey. And she was very good in those games, but that also was during the weakest portion of UConn's schedule. I stand by my comment that we will see what she can bring against the best opponents. The Butler game worked out well for her and Westbrook but Butler's net ranking is in the 300's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom