Nika Muhl: Heart & Soul of the Huskies | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl: Heart & Soul of the Huskies

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

How she became the heart and soul of the Huskies this year, so says Maggie Vanoni. It started when Geno told her to stop fouling or she wouldn't play. The rest is history......
Nika has changed the complexion of this team, as only a great point guard can. She leads the offense on a fast break at every possible opportunity. This team is literally running their opponents off the court on offense and smothering them on defense. They're constantly trapping and double teaming. It sometimes looks like we have extra players on defense. Not to be overlooked is they're in such great shape. They don't seem to get tired no matter how long they're out there.
This is an exciting team to watch.

Reaction Score
Nika has changed the complexion of this team, as only a great point guard can. She leads the offense on a fast break at every possible opportunity. This team is literally running their opponents off the court on offense and smothering them on defense. They're constantly trapping and double teaming. It sometimes looks like we have extra players on defense. Not to be overlooked is they're in such great shape. They don't seem to get tired no matter how long they're out there.
This is an exciting team to watch.
While Nika has been, indeed, a big factor in the character of this current team on the floor, their circumstances and the Coach has had a lot to do with it. Losing Paige and Ice meant everyone had to work hard to be more than they were and the Coach emphasized (I'm sure) that this starts with defense. That means getting into the best shape of their playing lives. They all have embraced the mantra.....hence, their defense has been good to excellent from the start. Fortunately for the team, Nika is a fireball on that side.....her only limitation is that she is not the athlete Gabby Williams and Aubrey are to become a complete lockdown defender. But, of course, everything she does is infectious. The rest of the team picks up on it....

On the offense, this team is fortunate to have a lot of confident scorers - in saying that, it includes Aaliyah and Aubrey, who would have thought? - so Nika's main role fits her personality: timely distribution of the ball to teammates in position to best succeed. The running game has been Geno's UConn trademark and they are doing it well starting from the gate, while their half-court offense is a work in progress. The idea, for now, seems to be that the more they run and score, the less need for methodical half-court offense play - watch them work on half-court offense when they get big leads in Big East games.

Nika stands out because everybody else on the court have made it easier for her to succeed by seeking to be in position for her to deliver the ball so they can themselves best succeed. That it has happened this soon is most encouraging. They know she is growing into her role so they are helping each other. That is what the absence of Paige has induced everyone to do: be themselves, play better, help each other. And they have turned into an exciting team to watch, especially in sharing the ball and piling up assists on made baskets......persuaded that this, indeed, is the best way to success. There are still hiccups in half-court offense execution but that will diminish as the year moves on.

Elsewhere someone fantasized the starting five for next year. I endorsed the one with: Nika, Paige, Azzi, Caroline and Aaliyah. On second thought, I would prefer Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey and Aaliyah (better defense, more rebounding, if a tad less scoring....though a running Aubrey should score more than enough and another year should help her outside shot). After that, the coach can mix and match according to the opposing team's size, personnel on the floor and flow of the game.

To get by South Carolina and Stanford in the NCAAs, Dorka has to be healthy and Ayanna has to have gained more control over her body. They can go 8 deep in rotation throughout the year against tough teams, so they won't be as exhausted as the Gabby-Kia junior year team come tournament time. Geno is probably telling Nika to shoot more to prepare, get used to it and get in rhythm. If they succeed in refining their concatenato on defense (e.g., avoid switching bailouts) and in executing their half-court offense come March, I give them a good chance to break the NC drought - never mind predictions by ESPN and other pundits.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've watched her since she was a freshman and the growth in her game has been nothing less than phenomenal, especially since last season. She's still fiery but much more under control, a fireplace fire instead of a wildfire.

It's been a long time since I was such a fan of one individual player. I absolutely love this girl and it will be a sad day for me when she graduates. I don't know if her future plans include the WNBA but I certainly hope so, I'd love to continue following her.

Reaction Score
She leads the offense on a fast break at every possible opportunity
Yes. But it's not just the fast breaks. Nika routinely gets down the court so quickly and decisively, eyes boring ahead, that the rest of the team doesn't want to be late for work. They're on the job.

Lots of pressure and wear & tear on opponent's defenses to get back just as quickly PLUS get set up; any mistakes they make in transition are promptly exploited: with passes to a scorer or (like chess) passes that improve the offense's board position and lead to a shot.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
This is a good article, worth reading.

I have seen some of the quotes from Geno and Nika previously, although not the story about Geno and the "stop fouling or sit" message.

It was also nice to hear from Darko Muhl.

I hope the parents are able to make it over to see her play in person.

Reaction Score
I was said for a long time that there needs to be an award for players like Nika. She will never be an AA but she means so much to the program. Maybe the boneyard could give establish award and give it to a deserving play like Nika because she has THE HEART OF A HUSKY.

Reaction Score
Has Geno changed his mind? When asked before the season opened about playing without Paige, he said "It sucks!". Now at 6-0 after Providence, he says:

"Nika is the floor leader," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "She's the leader of our defense. She's the leader of this team. Everyone understands that she's the voice and she's the one that makes us go. She's incredibly passionate and plays that way and for the other players on the team lock into that. She's a great role model for her teammates and anyone who watches her play.

"She gets a lot of attention because she gets a lot of assists, and rightfully so. But the ball has to move. The ball has to change sides of the floor and the ball has to get inside and then outside. If you do that, we'll get good shots and we have a pretty good shooting team. If we get pretty good shots we're going to make our share."

He may be surprised quite a bit but it seems Paige is not when she declared when asked by ESPN what happened to Nika, "she has always been like that!"

And, the team assist rate is indeed astonishing.....e.g. 30 in 38 made shots against Iowa....

May they get better as teh season continues.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've watched her since she was a freshman and the growth in her game has been nothing less than phenomenal, especially since last season. She's still fiery but much more under control, a fireplace fire instead of a wildfire.

It's been a long time since I was such a fan of one individual player. I absolutely love this girl and it will be a sad day for me when she graduates. I don't know if her future plans include the WNBA but I certainly hope so, I'd love to continue following her.
A lot of Fans seem to think NIKA has rebuilt herself , her personality, her abilities. This is the Nika Muhl we've had for these 3 years. She's matured, good ones do. Apparently, but it's still to be seen she has improved her fouling tendencies. Please realize, some fouling is in the eyes of the Refs--beholding it.
The one who has been a sterling improved in all respects is Aubrey--truly amazing change. @oldude has touted this young woman and all her values and attributes. He was right. Was a back surgery the source of that improvement? If so, sign me up. Most improved and at this moment, valued, player on UConn WCBB, Aubrey.

Reaction Score
I was said for a long time that there needs to be an award for players like Nika. She will never be an AA but she means so much to the program. Maybe the boneyard could give establish award and give it to a deserving play like Nika because she has THE HEART OF A HUSKY.
Not sure if there is a Badass of the Year award.
If Nika keeps it up, especially when the chips are down, I could see her so honored

Reaction Score
In both cases: Nika and Aubrey, it is the mind driving their constant work to refine their tools and, in common with Aaliyah, the same and growth in maturity.....whatever that means to each one, it has brought deliverance to the wealth of their talents.

And as mentioned above, Paige has attested to the nature of Nika and what she is capable of.

Reaction Score
Fear not for NIKA, we are not the only fans of her watching her every move and 12 or 15 assists, scoring from the 3, leading an outstanding group of players by being an outstanding guard. Remember, she was a scoring and fast fast fast guard in her home country,this NIKA as she was and shall be. You can bet European owners and WNBA Managers are watching her Right NOW. Nika shall be rewarded ---with 1 million bucks, in Europe.

Reaction Score
Nika will be happy with a National Championship Ring...

Reaction Score
On the offense, this team is fortunate to have a lot of confident scorers - in saying that, it includes Aaliyah and Aubrey, who would have thought? - so Nika's main role fits her personality: timely distribution of the ball to teammates in position to best succeed. The running game has been Geno's UConn trademark and they are doing it well starting from the gate, while their half-court offense is a work in progress. The idea, for now, seems to be that the more they run and score, the less need for methodical half-court offense play - watch them work on half-court offense when they get big leads in Big East games.

Nika stands out because everybody else on the court have made it easier for her to succeed by seeking to be in position for her to deliver the ball so they can themselves best succeed. That it has happened this soon is most encouraging.
Loved this portion.

A lot. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A lot of Fans seem to think NIKA has rebuilt herself , her personality, her abilities. This is the Nika Muhl we've had for these 3 years. She's matured, good ones do. Apparently, but it's still to be seen she has improved her fouling tendencies. Please realize, some fouling is in the eyes of the Refs--beholding it.
The one who has been a sterling improved in all respects is Aubrey--truly amazing change. @oldude has touted this young woman and all her values and attributes. He was right. Was a back surgery the source of that improvement? If so, sign me up. Most improved and at this moment, valued, player on UConn WCBB, Aubrey.
My praise of Aubrey was largely based on watching the last 4 games of her HS career played In Troy & Glens Falls, NY, a short distance from my home in Saratoga. Aubrey was the best player on the court in all 4 games, going over 30 pts and filling up the stat sheet in each game.

It wasn’t like she was playing against the sisters of the poor either. Celeste Taylor of Duke and Nat Marshall of ND were among the opponents she faced.

As I indicated in another post, what we are seeing now is the Aubrey Griffin that I watched in HS. The fact that she is so much better after back surgery and not playing all last season makes me wonder if her back was a chronic problem during her first two years at UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes. But it's not just the fast breaks. Nika routinely gets down the court so quickly and decisively, eyes boring ahead, that the rest of the team doesn't want to be late for work. They're on the job.

Lots of pressure and wear & tear on opponent's defenses to get back just as quickly PLUS get set up; any mistakes they make in transition are promptly exploited: with passes to a scorer or (like chess) passes that improve the offense's board position and lead to a shot.
Not sure about this- but even as a freshman, she seemed to have extra zip to her passes. Whether it be upper body strength, forearms, or wrists, I don’t know. But the velocity of her passes even if her body position/weight/balance is off seems to be pretty powerful. I guess people that go to games would be able to tell much better. I could be off on this. But it just seems that she's able to put extra velocity on passes even if she is off-balance etc. In one of the games the Color Commentator made a specific ultra-positive remark about her throwing acorss her body one side of the court to the other with a lot of pace. It doesn't look like a big deal on TV. Not sure if it is but -- maybe. . .

Reaction Score
even as a freshman, she seemed to have extra zip to her passes.
Yes. Physically, technically, the passing is not hugely better; it was there all along. Why then the super increase in assists? Complicated. Partly she's being more selective. She has a nice trick: when it's not happening on a configuration she dumps off, changes her position/perspective and looks for a pass back to her to try again; very nice. Part of it is simply experience, partly her pass receivers playing lots better.

BTW as a total aside I think the assists as a stat are going to fade away somewhat. She frequently makes passes (as I remarked earlier: like chess) to improve the offensive position of the team rather than necessarily to players in an immediate scoring opportunity, though obviously she does that a lot too. I think the balance of those types of passes is going to reach more of a level of equilibrium as the season goes on and there will be a reduction of the stat itself but NO reduction in passing effectiveness.

But the big change from her freshman/early sophomore seasons is somewhat equivalent to what happened with Stewie. The emotional component of her game, an essential part of her game because it's so much of who she is, was expressing itself negatively, impeding her performance. That emotion is still there full force, it has to be because it's a big part of her game, but it's more controlled, forward-looking, constructive, positive. How that happened I have no clue but I suspect it's mostly inherent in character, and a good dose of the magic that is Geno Auriemma.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. Physically, technically, the passing is not hugely better; it was there all along. Why then the super increase in assists? Complicated. Partly she's being more selective. She has a nice trick: when it's not happening on a configuration she dumps off, changes her position/perspective and looks for a pass back to her to try again; very nice. Part of it is simply experience, partly her pass receivers playing lots better.
Yes to all. Minutes and pace of play also.

But experience along with an overall- as you phrase it "pass receivers playing better."

Right now they have a sweet spot of 3 players Azzi, Lou and Edwards have been highly efficient form the perimeter. Which in turn overall makes Aubrey also extremely efficient while Ducharme hasn't gotten rolling yet but expectation she will. If you keep pushing pace and play a decent number of minutes with efficient scorers, she may very well continue to have high number of assists. We’ll see maybe / maybe not.

There was a play in the 2nd half indicative of their pace of play which may result in Nika continuing to have high assist numbers because of the Ing firepower. Crooms gets a layup (Azzi guarding) in 2nd half 6:46 left in 3rd quarter making score 65-29. Griffin inbounds ball at 6;45 to Nika and from right side of court she slings a pass to Azzi (Crooms trailing) to Azzi at the 3pt line on left side of the court for na open 3 in which Crooms could only pray that Azzi misses. Last two years they didn't have this type of firepower with so many being so efficient for a full season.

Reaction Score
As far as Muhl and fouling, she has made one major change, she has significantly reduced “playing the ball”; the number of times she is trying for steals off the dribble or stripping the ball. Those are plays that refs are going to call sometimes regardless of contract. Old school, but we learned and then taught, that you focused on the stomach of a player you were guarding because you can’t feint or fake direction with the stomach. With the advent of talking heads, highlights, and an overabundance of stats, steals and blocked shots came into vogue. IMO, both are fools good to a large extent because they lead to foul trouble. It kills me how many times defenders force an opponent into a very tough shot and than bail them out by fouling trying to block it. If a player makes that tough shot, tip your hat, and move on to the next play.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think we all saw the energy, the drive, the talent and the leadership traits in Nika as a freshman. And at times she frustrated us with her play.

The difference is maturity on her part and the maturity of her teammates. You are seeing the results of growth and hard work mixed in with a lot of frustration because of injuries. Being down to only 5 or 6 healthy players is really difficult. No margin for error or mistakes. The team now knows how Nika operates and she knows were they want the ball, were they are going to go as the offense moves up and around the court. Many, many hours of practice and I'm sure frustration have gotten us to this point. There is a lot of trust within this team as to how they play. And it shows.

Nika is the unquestioned leader of this team despite what some posters say. She is and always has been a pass first PG. And a dynamo on the defensive end. She is a throw back to Jenn Rizzotti. That is high praise indeed. Now she has 4 teammates who are averaging double figures!! Show me another team this season who has that.

I became a fan of Nika when she started at PG her freshman year. I saw what she was going to be able to do when she got healthy and matured as a person and a basketball player. I think its time for me to purchase a Nika NIL shirt!!!

Everybody Eats!!!!!!!!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This is the Nika Muhl we've had for these 3 years. She's matured, good ones do. Apparently, but it's still to be seen she has improved her fouling tendencies.
Absolutely agree with you. Two things with Nika have changed. One she is more conscious of not fouling. Two, most importantly, she has control of the team on the court. See the video below. She did the same things in Croatia when she was in control of that team. When she has control, she plays with a greater freedom.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What I've noticed is the timing of her passes. Seems to me that her recognition of how the plays are developing is off the charts now, and may be related to @SVCBeercats post above.

Recall last year, there were a lot of remarks on the Boneyard that (Liv, Caroline. . .) was open briefly but never got the ball. I think Nika has been consistently seeing those openings before they happen, as is necessary. People above have remarked on the zip on her passes. Zip isn't always desired, and I think she's improved the lob entry (especially to Aaliyah the past few games) to the low block. Those passes are going right to the hand that's requesting them, just when needed, and just out of reach of the defender.

The combination of that court awareness, crispness of her passes, and a team that's finishing at a high clip is a recipe for lots of assists.

Reaction Score
I agree with what has been said above but I would add that some of the team success on converted assists from Nika to our scorers relates to a change on the receiving end. If you look at her Crotian hi-lights or those from even freshman year, she already had all the types of passes she makes in her arsenal albeit her delivery may have been refined a bit (re:Bigboote post)

I think it was early freshman year that Williams said essentially, 'Nika was a crazy good passer, but if you aren't paying attention you get hit in the side of the head'. So, as much as Nika may have refined her delivery of her passes, the receivers have even more so adjusted to receive them. I think all of them have an eye on her and ready themselves to receive a pass even if they don't appear to be the obvious recipient. Of course this is much more related to situations that aren't the baseball passes to the wide receiver on a sprint out.

Another adjustment everybody has made is to go out fast, because with few exceptions Nika is going to get the ball down court very quickly. So, with Nika being the primary ball handler/distributor the team has adjusted a great deal to her style of play , which most beneficially, plays into the tremendous skillsets of her teammates in their collective ability to finish very successfully. This group has IMO, a wonderful meshing of skills and it's just a lot of fun to watch them make things happen.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not sure if there is a Badass of the Year award.
If Nika keeps it up, especially when the chips are down, I could see her so honored
That’s an award that will have to be handed out here in the yard. Also the boneyard most improved player of of the year. Right now Aubrey and Aaliyah are the front runners for that one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom