Nika, Molly, and Mel Thomas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika, Molly, and Mel Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Molly was a great person, but not so much as a basketball player. She never had the confidence she needed to do more. Nika has struggled with confidence. However, the other night, after she was taken out, she came back in a did what she's supposed to do. She'll continue to get better throughout the year. Molly was a senior when she stepped in. Nika is a freshman, in a different country, with the pandemic hanging over everyone's heads, and I'm sure missing her family in Croatia.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nika reminds me of Jen Rizzotti. Not her game so much but her intensity.
Definitely not the game-Jen was National POY. Molly was pretty intense-perhaps too intense to be effective from the very beginning. Molly was in the rotation in UCONN first game as a freshman at FSU and played pretty well in her first rotation. That game was back and fourth and by Molly's second rotation she started hyper ventilating and trying to do things she was clearly not able to do-like throwing a pass the full length of the court.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that some of you will say that I should have used the "Nika X-Factor" thread for these comments, but I consider that thread to have become a Superfund site that should be buried under cement for at least a century.

One interesting question in that thread was how Nika compares to Molly Bent. Unlike most of you, I actually think that Molly was a better athlete than Nika, with more foot speed and (after her freshman year) a better jump shot. But I agree that they are comparable in many ways. Molly's limitations (IMHO) were "above the shoulders" -- she never calmed down enough to play effectively. She tried to make up for it with her work ethic, but after a while that is counterproductive, and it was for her.

May I suggest another comparison -- Mel Thomas? She played at UConn from 2004-05 to 2007-08 but missed the last part of her senior season because of an ACL. It was a fallow time for UConn recruiting, particularly in the back court. Geno did get one great guard recruit in Renee Montgomery, who arrived in 2005 during Mel's sophomore season and immediately became the best guard on the team and the starting point guard. But the other guard options during Mel's tenure did not stir much excitement or many great memories: Keisha Swanier (in Mel's class and physically far more talented than Mel), Ashley Valley (a senior when Mel was a freshman, and actually quite competent), and Lorin Dixon are the ones I remember. Nicole Wolff might have been good (she graduated in 2006) but was injured physically for two years and in her confidence after that.

So, against that undistinguished competition (apart from Renee), Mel established herself as the second guard on the team and became a starter as a sophomore, and got a ton of minutes. She was far from a great athlete (slower than Nika, far slower than Molly, and smaller than either of them). Her high school reputation was as a 3-point shooter, but she had problems hitting the 3 as a freshman. In later years, she solved that problem, and also learned to play intelligently at both ends of the floor and to be an effective perimeter defender despite her quickness deficit.

Here is my question: If Mel had been in Molly's class or in Nika's class, with the roster competition that they faced, would she have done any better than they did or are doing? I don't think so. I doubt if she would have played any more minutes. I suspect that Boneyard commentators would make the same comments about her play as a freshman that they are now making about Nika.

And here is the clincher: In the game against Tennessee in Mel's freshman year, Mel didn't play a single minute. Geno said that she was "telling him in her own way" that she was not ready for such a high-pressure game. Needless to say, she didn't agree with that decision, but I think she played in every big game after that for the rest of her career, and started most of them.

If injuries put UConn and Geno in a position similar to what he dealt with in Mel's time, I think he may be able to get similar productivity from Nika as he got from Mel. They are very similar players.
I totally disagree with your assessment of Nika. Remember she is only a freshman. She is a much better player than Moly. She has the Rizotti tough mentality I think. This team does't have any complimentary players they are all good. It only has 1 walk on, all the players hold their own when put in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Definitely not the game-Jen was National POY. Molly was pretty intense-perhaps too intense to be effective from the very beginning. Molly was in the rotation in UCONN first game as a freshman at FSU and played pretty well in her first rotation. That game was back and fourth and by Molly's second rotation she started hyper ventilating and trying to do things she was clearly not able to do-like throwing a pass the full length of the court.
MIN FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG TPG BPG SPG PPG
92-93 UConn 34.7 40.3 37.3 61.9 4.3 3.6 4.0 0.1 2.1 12.3
93-94 UConn 30.1 46.0 42.9 66.7 3.4 4.5 2.7 0.1 2.4 9.9
94-95 UConn 25.9 50.6 41.3 73.4 2.8 4.6 2.5 0.1 2.8 12.5
95-96 UConn 32.4 44.2 27.2 70.5 3.3 5.8 3.0 0.1 2.9 11.0
----------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS 30.6 45.3 36.7 67.9 3.4 4.7 3.0 0.1 2.6 11.4

Jen had a big impact from day one. Nika's not her second coming, but she is intense and scrappy. She'll have an impact here.

Reaction Score
Are these two statements ironic or an oxymoron -I always get confused.

" There is no comparison between Molly and Nika."
" Further evidence of this is that Molly never playe
d...."

You information is also not correct. Molly bent had to step in and start for Crystal Dangerfield against Seton Hall the same way that Nika had to step in and start for an injured Paige and Anna.

I stand corrected. Forgot about that. Just curious, did she play 'many' minutes as Nika has done already on multiple occasions? Did she do it as a freshman?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is my question: If Mel had been in Molly's class or in Nika's class, with the roster competition that they faced, would she have done any better than they did or are doing? I don't think so.
We have strayed quite a bit form trying to answer your question with the additional players comparisons. Moriah Jefferson and Jen Rizzoti- As If... ! My answer would be similar to @vowelguy. Freshman Mel Thomas would have made out better than both Nika and Molly because she was a terrific 3Pt shooter (Freshman 31%, career 40%) and her A:TO was also very good ( Freshman 1.7, Career 1.96).
As to your other scenario of can Nika become a starter as a Sophomore as Mel did- I don't see that happening for Nika because her main weakness are the strengths of the incoming class-specifically the ability to shoot the ball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. Forgot about that. Just curious, did she play 'many' minutes as Nika has done already on multiple occasions? Did she do it as a freshman?
Just in case your questions are not rhetorical the answer is the circumstances are not the same.
As a freshman Molly did not have 2 scholarship guards who were in front of her in the rotation go down. As a freshman Molly did play more minutes against ranked team than Nika has so far in her.

Reaction Score
I can't believe -- well I can -- there is this much evaluation/projection of a player who basically has had one significant playing opportunity, in part because of an injury.
This is not typical late January. In terms of games played, it's more like mid-December.

How many other players have had their 4 years mapped out, negatively, by the BY before their 1st semester was over?

Reaction Score
Just in case your questions are not rhetorical the answer is the circumstances are not the same.
As a freshman Molly did not have 2 scholarship guards who were in front of her in the rotation go down. As a freshman Molly did play more minutes against ranked team than Nika has so far in her.
Well I don't want to get into a history lesson on this but haven't we only played two ranked teams thus far? Niko only played against one and that was for about 5 minutes wasn't it?

Anyway, I don't want to get too far off track since the primary jest of my post was that Nika is a much better player than Molly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well I don't want to get into a history lesson on this but haven't we only played two ranked teams thus far? Niko only played against one and that was for about 5 minutes wasn't it?

Anyway, I don't want to get too far off track since the primary jest of my post was that Nika is a much better player than Molly.
It shouldn't take a history lesson (I'm still here in case it does) to convince you that Nika has not demonstrated that thus far-hopefully Nika will in time.

Reaction Score
It shouldn't take a history lesson (I'm still here in case it does) to convince you that Nika has not demonstrated that thus far-hopefully Nika will in time.
As I said, I think she has and I'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
My thoughts is Nika will get a lot a lot better once she’s comfortable with the system and gain more confidence. She’s just trying to figure out her role without making mistakes. She can be a great passer if she stop jumping in the air getting caught up, stop so many no look passing defense can be a little better slow on her feet but I like her pressure and anticipation and shooting trust her pull up for the mid range instead of penetrating to deep cause she can really get in that lane easily. I like her upside to play much better next year

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How many other players have had their 4 years mapped out, negatively, by the BY before their 1st semester was over?
While it may not be fair part of this 4 year mapping equation is based on the recruiting landscape and the current roster which cannot be ignored. This year might offer Nika the best opportunity to establish herself as a UCONN contributor. She is currently the 5th guard in the rotation when the team is at full strength. The possibility exists that all 5 guards will return next season. UCONN also adds 3 guards that appear to have a better skill set than Nika when compared to UCONN most glaring need which is outside shooting. To paraphrase Presider Carter "Life isn't fair".

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yeah this thread aged well.

Everyone still think Nika is just another Molly Bent?
Amazing the things that happen when you let a kid play, I don't know, 3 games.
Your point is quite valid, but you failed to state it using proper contemporary usage. The last part of your message should have said, "... when you let a kid play, like, 3 games."

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah this thread aged well.

Everyone still think Nika is just another Molly Bent?
Amazing the things that happen when you let a kid play, I don't know, 3 games.
:eek:Three games and two injuries right? The latter being far more significant? When last at full strength in a meaningful game Nika logged 0 minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jesus friend, take a shower. All should enjoy Nika's improvement and look for more to come.
What makes you think I’m not enjoying it? I already took a shower.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You seem pretty determined to make the point you’re underwhelmed by Nika. We got the point well before your 12th post in this thread
Not everyone is a quick as you are though. For some it may take a 13th post.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
:eek:Three games and two injuries right? The latter being far more significant? When last at full strength in a meaningful game Nika logged 0 minutes.
But against both Arkansas and DePaul she was on the court when the team played its best. Good defense tonight.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But against both Arkansas and DePaul she was on the court when the team played its best. Good defense tonight.
Against Both Arkansas and DePaul Anna was injured. Anna’s defense tonight was not adequate_ totally acceptable since Nika was playing on a bum ankle per Geno. And speaking of defense the entire team was terrible against Arkansas.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Against Both Arkansas and DePaul Anna was injured. Anna’s defense tonight was not adequate_ totally acceptable since Nika was playing on a bum ankle per Geno. And speaking of defense the entire team was terrible against Arkansas.
Played it's best offense. Early in game Nika was guarding their point, she played well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom