Nika injury? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nika injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
With the hit that she took, I would be totally surprised if she could play Sunday. If there is any delay with the decision, I'm sure Nika herself is the one dragging out the decision, and if left up to her, she would play. Luckily, it's not totally up to her, and whatever they decide, it will be in the best interest of Nika, not UConn.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Just a tiny amount of game, not medical, information can end the uninformed speculation.
My 20 years of board moderation experience tells me that your statement is incorrect. Whatever level of information is provided just forms a launching pad for further uniformed speculation.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Has to bounce it off an opposing player. It’s been done before.
And the out of bounds player must be in bounds before touching the ball. If the player is in the air their position is considered where they left the court surface. Some players try the move when the opposing player is too close and can't get a foot in bounds before the ball comes back to them.

Reaction Score
My 20 years of board moderation experience tells me that your statement is incorrect. Whatever level of information is provided just forms a launching pad for further uniformed speculation.
Well, experience trumps opinion every day of the week. Where I was coming from is that there seems to be significantly less speculation over Azzi's hyper-extended knee than other injuries where less information is given. Less information inspires more guess work, no? Then again, maybe not, so I'll go with your experience.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As of right now Nika and Lou are playing based on we have no information saying they wont. If that changes we move on from there. Wait, be patient, and hope for the best. After Sundays game we have a week off to get healthy. That means all our players who are not 100% will have a chance to get better. I also feel that throwing INTENTIONAL ELBOWS in an effort to hurt a player or out of anger should result in suspension of that player based on the severity of the player who is injured. If the injured player is out for 5 games or 5 weeks or a season the player who injured her should be out for the same amount of time.
As long as this forum decides who’s intentionally vs. unintentionally doing it sign me up.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Tony, I've never agreed with anything you've written more than this. Collateral suspension (games missed) for throwing elbows would bring that type of play to a screeching halt. I've offered that solution in professional baseball over the years. If a pitcher intentionally throws at a batter and injures him, and the batter is forced to miss future games, the pitcher should also miss the same amount of games, instead of just being tossed for THAT game.

I would take it a step further. If you really want to stop pitchers from throwing at batters, suspend the pitcher for 5 games the first time he hits a batter in a season. The catcher and manager would also get a 5 game suspension. If that pitcher hits another batter during the course of that same season, he and the catcher would receive a 30 game suspension, and the manager a 10 game suspension. This is a harsh penalty that will NEVER be put in place. The player's union would NEVER agree to it, even though it would protect its players. Batters would no longer be thrown at in intentionally.
I believe that would be possible to enact if the foul is ruled a flagrant 2 foul. That's an intentional foul that is unnecessary and continues. The rules committee added more words to describe this scenario, including brutal, harsh or cruel or dangerous or punishing. Anything less than that would be considered incidental.

Reaction Score
As of right now Nika and Lou are playing based on we have no information saying they wont. If that changes we move on from there. Wait, be patient, and hope for the best. After Sundays game we have a week off to get healthy. That means all our players who are not 100% will have a chance to get better. I also feel that throwing INTENTIONAL ELBOWS in an effort to hurt a player or out of anger should result in suspension of that player based on the severity of the player who is injured. If the injured player is out for 5 games or 5 weeks or a season the player who injured her should be out for the same amount of time.
How do you determine whether a player throws elbows in an effort to hurt a player or out of anger? The refs can barely do their job as it is, now you expect them to be mind readers? UConn players have thrown elbows too, so what do we do then just assume UConn is innocent and everyone else has malicious intent?

Reaction Score
Mississippi State played a game last year with 7 available players. I believe that was the minimum before a forfeit was required. I think the only time canceling was allowed was during the Covid pandemic.
Thanks, Z

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How do you determine whether a player throws elbows in an effort to hurt a player or out of anger? The refs can barely do their job as it is, now you expect them to be mind readers? UConn players have thrown elbows too, so what do we do then just assume UConn is innocent and everyone else has malicious intent?
The answer to your question is simple. Take the question of "intent" out of the equation. If you elbow an opposing player at the shoulder level or above, it's a violation. A replay can show the referees what took place if they missed it. Sometimes when you have a mismatch in the paint, and a guard is guarding a tall post player, the guard who may be short in stature and whose face/shoulders may be at the taller players elbows, may be an "unintended" recipient of an elbow, but a recipient none the less. As a former post player in college, I've received elbows from the waist up many times. Not a pleasant experience, especially high elbows in the face. Those hurt long after the game is over. :confused: Your perspective might change if you were ever on the receiving end of a well placed elbow from an aggressive player that was 6'10, 290 lbs. Walk a mile in my shoes. ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That would mean Edwards would be out as long as Fudd and Muhl.

Reaction Score
I guess we all see thing different, I watched the game, heard the announcers, and the refs decision but I really did not see it as intentional. I am a MSST fan and have a distinct negative bias toward ND but that play to me appeared to be an obvious foul but not intentional.
Your opinion ... but it is indicative of the play that three referees had no problem upgrading the foul to intentional in a record short time. Most people saw the rake but only with the slow motion replay did the audience see Miles leading with the raised elbow to the jaw.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
i should change my tagline from 'surf's up' to 'u can't be serious.'

you can't be serious.
iffn one of my team mates was the victim of an obviously dangerous and unsportmanlike play on the diamond, i'd be the first one to throw at the batters head when the bad person stepped into the box.
rocket was one of my alltime favorite ballplayers. he won, a lot.
somewhere, i have that pic of knoblauch and jeter wearing full catchers garb to spoof ol roger's joining the team. i think that the caption was 'we don't need to wear this anymore at bat now that he's on our team.'
120618112034-clemens-shattered-bat-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

it's the 'murican way. imma 'murican.
I remember this incident. Good thing for Roger Clemens I was not the commissioner of baseball. That would have been the last bat he ever threw. The next one would had cost him an 81 game suspension, and a $100,000 fine. I would have made sure he understood that.

No batter has that much control to do that intentionally. I would have suspended him for at least 10 games (maybe more, and fined him at least 50k). A bad look for MLB, and a very bad look for impressionable kids that were watching. Clemens was a very good pitcher, but an egotistical hothead.

Reaction Score
The thing that concerns me most about a potential head injury to Nika is that the nature of diagnosing a potential concussion depends a lot on the player’s honesty. A concussion is not necessarily something diagnosed through any scans and concussion tests are not the most thorough or reliable. I am not a doctor but I did suffer 3 minor concussions in 3 years and the only reason they were diagnosed and treated properly were because I was honest about any symptoms I felt. I don’t think Nika is irresponsible about her health but I think she’d feel inclined to push through what feels like minor issues considering the team’s current circumstances. The issue with that is that concussions only heal with time and the longer symptoms are ignored, the longer they will linger. The incident in the Princeton game surely looked concussion-worthy and I think it’d be in Nika’s best interest to sit out Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom