Next Year's Roster | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Next Year's Roster

Reaction Score
Liv and Christyn will be starters, especially Christyn as she is so tough to guard.
Tough to guard? For who?

She just finished her junior year, averaging 16.3 ppg, on 47.9% shooting, in the regular season. By contrast, Bueckers averaged 19.8 ppg, on 53.6% shooting (and 47.6% on 3-point shooting!).

She was not named to the post-season first, second, or third All-American teams selected by the Associated Press or Basketball Writers Association, nor was she among the 10 players selected by the Women Coaches Basketball Association.

So, respectfully, to you and others here, feel free to “love” her, but stop kidding yourself; by all objective criteria, Williams is NOT among the elite NCAA players!

Reaction Score
I highly doubt Geno leaves Liv or Christyn off the list of starters.
Well, sure, we’re all armchair coaches, speculating on what Geno will do, but why exactly do you (or Geno) think they should be starting at this point in their UConn careers? I’m sure they’re wonderful ladies and excellent teammates, but production-wise, I’m ready to move on and consider others.

Reaction Score
Actually she was called for 3 legitimate fouls, here second one was also bogus where they called a block on her and it was a charge. I believe that even Ryan and Rebecca said it was the wrong call.
Maybe so, but charge/block is always going to be tough to judge. And my larger point, that she is not an automatic starter next year, still holds true.

Reaction Score
Tough to guard? For who?

She just finished her junior year, averaging 16.3 ppg, on 47.9% shooting, in the regular season. By contrast, Bueckers averaged 19.8 ppg, on 53.6% shooting (and 47.6% on 3-point shooting!).

She was not named to the post-season first, second, or third All-American teams selected by the Associated Press or Basketball Writers Association, nor was she among the 10 players selected by the Women Coaches Basketball Association.

So, respectfully, to you and others here, feel free to “love” her, but stop kidding yourself; by all objective criteria, Williams is NOT among the elite NCAA players!
Do you really think UConn is going to have 5 Paige Bueckers to start? No team has that luxury. Christyn has been more productive than Olivia, and she did have some of the most difficult defensive assignments, which takes a lot of energy. Also, everyone has called Paige a generational player, so comparing most players to her is a fool's paradise. The other player will lose 99.9% of the time. Maybe even 100%.

Reaction Score
With the ncaa giving athletes this year as a “free year” how does the scholarship # count?

Reaction Score
Well, sure, we’re all armchair coaches, speculating on what Geno will do, but why exactly do you (or Geno) think they should be starting at this point in their UConn careers? I’m sure they’re wonderful ladies and excellent teammates, but production-wise, I’m ready to move on and consider others.

I totally agree with you. Let the cards fall where they may. I just don’t see Geno taking them out of the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how you can leave AE out of the starting lineup. I believe the seniors will certainly start, but we won’t have our best players all on the floor at the beginning of the game, at least until Aveni mix and matches to begin the season. I think the 3 best talents are Paige, Aliyah, Azzi (I know, we shall see). Then you only have 2 spots for Nika, CW, Evina, ONO and any freshmen that show they deserve it. A luxury of legit looking options, but hard to manipulate and certainly to prognosticate.
Edwards would be my choice to start also. I just don’t think Geno will pull the trigger. I hope I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
Tough to guard? For who?

Are you blind??? She is tough to guard because she has one of the fastest first steps (if not thee fastest) in the game. Especially when she is located on the wing, a defender has trouble guarding her, she’s too quick with her first step. Are there some defenders in the women’s game who can guard her one on one, yes but I can count them on one hand. Usually the defender will foul her when she blows by to prevent the basket. When UConn lost to Arizona, Paige was not having a good game, and Christyn fouling out on a phantom foul sealed it for Arizona. UConn closed the gap in the final minutes but when CW fouled out that threat disappeared. I’m She did get to the line, but nerves caused her to miss her foul shots. She was not the #1 high school player in nation coming out of high school and recruited by 90 major programs because she can sew. Oh and btw, Christyn averaged 22.6 ppg in her last three games against Iowa, Baylor, and Arizona. Name me the NCAA elite players who did better the last three games of the season. Great post “amishboy”.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you blind??? She is tough to guard because she has one of the fastest first steps (if not thee fastest) in the game. Especially when she is located on the wing, a defender has trouble guarding her, she’s too quick with her first step. Are there some defenders in the women’s game who can guard her one on one, yes but I can count them on one hand. Usually the defender will foul her when she blows by to prevent the basket. When UConn lost to Arizona, Paige was not having a good game, and Christyn fouling out on a phantom foul sealed it for Arizona. UConn closed the gap in the final minutes but when CW fouled out that threat disappeared. I’m She did get to the line, but nerves caused her to miss her foul shots. She was not the #1 high school player in nation coming out of high school and recruited by 90 major programs because she can sew. Oh and btw, Christyn averaged 22.6 ppg in her last three games against Iowa, Baylor, and Arizona. Name me the NCAA elite players who did better the last three games of the season. Great post “amishboy”.
So, I guess for you, “tough to guard” is important criteria. I prefer someone who scores points, who doesn’t miss free throws because of “nerves,” and who doesn’t think a semifinal opponent will be easy.

She averaged 22.6 ppg in her last 3 games? Nice cherry-picking; in the 5 postseason games before those 3, she had 14, 26, 16, 13, and 11 points. She averaged 16.3 ppg in the regular season. I prefer my best player, especially when she’s a junior, to show up for every game. Maybe that’s what Geno had in mind when he called her “uncoachable”?

Btw, it’s UConn’s fourth consecutive loss in the semifinals, and ties UConn’s record for longest title-less drought since their first title in 1995.

Reaction Score
So, I guess for you, “tough to guard” is important criteria. I prefer someone who scores points, who doesn’t miss free throws because of “nerves,” and who doesn’t think a semifinal opponent will be easy.

She averaged 22.6 ppg in her last 3 games? Nice cherry-picking; in the 5 postseason games before those 3, she had 14, 26, 16, 13, and 11 points. She averaged 16.3 ppg in the regular season. I prefer my best player, especially when she’s a junior, to show up for every game. Maybe that’s what Geno had in mind when he called her “uncoachable”?

Btw, it’s UConn’s fourth consecutive loss in the semifinals, and ties UConn’s record for longest title-less drought since their first title in 1995.
You should have bashed her when she had these lower point games. Instead you bash her when she played great the last three games of the season against by far the toughest competition UConn had faced all season AND was the teams high scorer to boot.

Reaction Score
Tough to guard? For who?

It's not "others" that are wrong. It's just that imo your opinion is biased - possibly you are someone who views things as glass as half empty? Or a fan who likes to vent?

CWill was named Honorable Mention A/A. SO it's A/A or bust?

Secondly, what would you say were UCONN's biggest games this year- the best quality opponents? She played well vs Tenn, Iowa, Baylor, and was best offensive player vs Arizona - did well. Yes she played awful vs Arkansas and not good vs SC. But you think she deserves to be trashed the way you are doing considering 4 out of 6 she did well?

Reaction Score
Geno has ALWAYS has given respect to upperclass players. Saying that Liv and Christyn will be benched is foolish. Geno is a master and he will never bench them because they had a couple bad games at the end of a season. Also, consider that they both know they need to work on their game and will be ready next year. LET'S NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES.. My prediction, we are going to fabulous for the next four years. Thank you very much....
Didn't Bria Hartley loose her starting job later on in her career?

Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous conversation. Geno constantly evaluates performance. From practice through games. He has sat down legendary Huskies when needed. He will not sit Olivia or Christyn because fans are ready for some change from their arm chair perch. If they are best chance to perform by his thought process they play. If performance, attitude , commitment drive a different decision he will make that decision when needed. Oldie but goodie , this is college not professional. These kids are going to have more peaks and valleys it is part of the deal stop beating them up for the inevitability of the sports!!

Reaction Score
I have no idea who is going to start or how the minutes will be distributed...and neither does anyone else...other than Paige (of course)...The new personnel may very well dictate a change of style of play...which make the question of minutes distribution even more problematic.

What we do know is this: amishboy's knock on Christyn is ridiculous. She was our most consistent threat all tourney.

Not so ridiculous re: Ono...She had a disappointing final game...If she had delivered her average effort, we might have prevailed...but no coach judges a player from one bad game, certainly Geno. But the does have height in next year's freshman class...and a competitive kid...For all positions on the team; you're going to have to win your minutes and then make good use of them.

Fudd's 3-point shooting is needed; she will play.

Surely Nika and Aalyiah will play

I predict (we'll know soon enough) that Westbrook will be back...her steadiness is required;
she hasn't been close to right, all season...a summer of rehab and strengthening may bring her back to close to her top form.

For the rest, its a crap shoot...I'm sure even the coaches have no idea both how to best make use of everyone, nor a possible distribution of minutes...I bet its going to be a subject of considerable debate (all summer)...Can you imagine practices...perhaps two top-ten teams going at one another.
Yes, I like the two top ten teams at practice going against one another with the guys practice squad also getting time. Perhaps this could be shared in some videos, it might be better than watching some of our league games for sure.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The starting line up will remain the same. For the first time that I know of, hopefully he will substitute liberally at all positions with the bench talent he will have. His problem (problem is probably not the right word) is that he focuses too much on trying to get a perfect starting line up, and doesn't trust his bench enough to give them adequate PT to show what an impact they can make on the floor. I would rather have a very good starting 5, with a multitude very good impact players coming off the bench. Young players coming off the bench that can shoot can alter the course of a game more than a stronger starting line up and nothing really good coming in.

Reaction Score
I hope to see, on the court at any point in any game, a lineup of PB, , AE, AD, ONO. Actually, I want to see it in a BEast game so we can look BEastly BIG for a change. ?

Reaction Score
It's not "others" that are wrong. It's just that imo your opinion is biased - possibly you are someone who views things as glass as half empty? Or a fan who likes to vent?

CWill was named Honorable Mention A/A. SO it's A/A or bust?

Secondly, what would you say were UCONN's biggest games this year- the best quality opponents? She played well vs Tenn, Iowa, Baylor, and was best offensive player vs Arizona - did well. Yes she played awful vs Arkansas and not good vs SC. But you think she deserves to be trashed the way you are doing considering 4 out of 6 she did well?
My opinion biased? Sure, probably about as much as yours, because opinions by definition are biased.

“A-A or bust”? Not necessarily, but how long will you continue to ignore statistics, facts, and results in favor of your eyes and “bias”?

The facts are that she was a highly-rated recruit out of high school, who hasn’t scored as much or as consistently as expected, and hasn’t led UConn to another national championship. Through her three years at UConn she’s been very good at times, as well as quite bad at times. My suggestion that she needs to improve, in order to remain a starter, doesn’t seem like “trashing” her, IMO, but if that’s how you roll, you be you.

Reaction Score

14 points against St Johns - second highest scorer to Paige at 17
26 points against Villanova - highest scorer, Paige second with 18
16 points against Marquette - second highest scorer to Paige 23
13 points against High Point - third highest scorer to Paige 24, ONO 22
11 points against Syracuse - fourth highest scorer to Paige 20, Aaliyah 19, ONO 17
27 points against Iowa - highest scorer, Paige/Aaliyah second 18
21 points against Baylor - second highest scorer to Paige 28
20 points against Arizona - highest scorer, Paige second with 18 (she also was 4-4 on FTs which was a nice bounce back after the Baylor incident)

I think she proved in the post season that she was finding her footing as the second option on the team. In the game against Syracuse, she may not have put up a lot of points, but she was efficient 4-9 FG, 3-6 from 3. The only player more consistent offensively during this stretch was Paige, who also happened to sweep NPOY awards.

Williams is far from perfect, I'll be the first to admit that she needs to shoot a better percentage from the line and from the perimeter. But without her, this team might not have even gotten past Iowa. Our title drought is certainly long, but it is by no means the fault of CW. 2017/2018 had teams that lost on buzzer beating shots, 2018 being a year we should have won. In 2019, CW played really well in the post season as a freshman to help keep our FF streak alive with a team that was barely FF material. 2020 cancelled. And this year, she did as much as anyone to try to get us a title.

Our issues stem from the recruiting class of 2017, where 3 players transferred and Walker declared early. If Walker was around this season, we would have had the outside threat we needed and another potent offensive player. Likely would have won a championship in my opinion. Combine that with the class of 2019, which is now just Aubrey. It takes multiple good classes back to back to assemble the right cast. Our classes for 2020, 2021 & 2022 seem to have us set up to challenge for a few titles.

Reaction Score
11 points against Syracuse - fourth highest scorer to Paige 20, Aaliyah 19, ONO 17
20 points against Arizona - highest scorer, Paige second with 18 (she also was 4-4 on FTs which was a nice bounce back after the Baylor incident)

I think she proved in the post season that she was finding her footing as the second option on the team. In the game against Syracuse, she may not have put up a lot of points, but she was efficient 4-9 FG, 3-6 from 3. The only player more consistent offensively during this stretch was Paige, who also happened to sweep NPOY awards.

Williams is far from perfect, I'll be the first to admit that she needs to shoot a better percentage from the line and from the perimeter. But without her, this team might not have even gotten past Iowa. Our title drought is certainly long, but it is by no means the fault of CW. 2017/2018 had teams that lost on buzzer beating shots, 2018 being a year we should have won. In 2019, CW played really well in the post season as a freshman to help keep our FF streak alive with a team that was barely FF material. 2020 cancelled. And this year, she did as much as anyone to try to get us a title.

Our issues stem from the recruiting class of 2017, where 3 players transferred and Walker declared early. If Walker was around this season, we would have had the outside threat we needed and another potent offensive player. Likely would have won a championship in my opinion. Combine that with the class of 2019, which is now just Aubrey. It takes multiple good classes back to back to assemble the right cast. Our classes for 2020, 2021 & 2022 seem to have us set up to challenge for a few titles.
Thanks for a rational response. I agree with several of your points: the team wouldn’t have gotten as far this year without her, and the title drought is not solely her fault.

As before, my point is simply that she hasn’t played at the level expected by many, and if Azzi Fudd is as good as predicted, and other returnees improve more than Williams, she should not be an automatic starter next year.

Reaction Score

Good point about Walker. I find it just marvelous that all the hype in the Iowa game between women’s college basketballs two biggest stars was just that, and the performances of Paige and Clarke were both overshadowed by Christyn scoring 27 points.

Reaction Score
My opinion biased?

1617826601716.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger