Next Year's Roster | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Next Year's Roster

Reaction Score
As early this season many here seem to discount what Nika brings to this team. It was no coincidence that both the team defensive intensity and offensive flow gelled when Nika became a regular starter. Several times Geno has said as much and shown it by keeping her in the lineup. Going into the tournament the team was playing it's best team ball, having built steadily as a cohesive unit with great communication and movement since the Arkansas loss.

Many have pointed out that Paige should be the point guard going forward. I don't argue that having her play with the ball in her hands a good amount of the time isn't an advantage for our squad but I don't believe that equates to her needing to run the point. I think her strength in coming around a screen or moving to a open spot and getting a quick feed for a quality shot are equally as significant. I would argue that Geno wants her to do both. With Azzi coming in we fill a need of another deadeye three point threat. Depending on matchups, because we will also have great options at 4 and 5, I think Nika at the point with Paige, Crstyn and Azzi would present a tough matchup for opponents, having to guard against both quick high percentage threes and equally as efficient slashes and pull-ups.

Nika came into this past season having only been playing basketball for about 4-5 years, understanding that she needed to improve her shooting and most importantly with a hunger to grow and a desire to do that as a Husky. She adjusted from being foul prone early on to being a tenacious disruptive defender. She challenged herself offensively to become a threat from outside and to take the ball into the paint. I would guess she knows she needs to continue to step her offensive game up and I have no doubt that that is exactly what she will focus on between now and the next time we see her in a Husky uniform. Nika is still becoming the player she will eventually be, with a great many strengths already and a very high ceiling. I think Geno sees and believes this as well and doesn't expect to see her sitting on the bench next season waiting to be called upon to play mop up minutes.
This combo is interesting and might work well, but it is continuing small ball, and I think Aaliyah deserves a starting position. Christyn is a better player overall than Nika in my opinion, but Nika might be a better fit, and Azzi is probably a much better shooter than Christyn which might make her a better fit as well.

So I'm not sure it would be the best lineup but certainly think it could be if you substitute Aaliyah for Christyn. So if you hear me out, this is why I think that lineup might be exceptional. It gives you at least two very good options for many skills. Two great passers (Nika and Paige), two great long range shooters (Paige and Azzi), two low post scoring options (Aaliyah and Liv at least against weaker opposition) and two players that can create their own shot (Paige and Azzi), two good rebounders (Liv and Aaliyah) and a defender at the point of attack (Nika) and a protector of the rim (Liv).

It is very hard to game-plan against a team with a great option B for just about any skill you can think of. I presume in this scenario Christyn for Nika would be the first, and a pretty early substitution with Paige going back to the point, and Christyn still getting plenty of minutes overall.

Reaction Score
Unless they improve at least 20%, I say Liv and Christyn better get ready to come off the bench. In three years, they’ve plainly demonstrated they’re not “ready for prime time” players.

The starters will be Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Azzi, and Aubrey/Mir/Caroline/Evina.
Christyn will start.

Reaction Score
I have my thoughts on what is likely to happen but will wait until Tuesday to express them. That is the day we will know for sure what is in Evina's future. Until then it is just a guess.
I thought a player had 48 hours from their last game to declare for the WNBA draft,
not 48 hrs from the NCAA championship game

Reaction Score
This combo is interesting and might work well, but it is continuing small ball, and I think Aaliyah deserves a starting position. Christyn is a better player overall than Nika in my opinion, but Nika might be a better fit, and Azzi is probably a much better shooter than Christyn which might make her a better fit as well.

So I'm not sure it would be the best lineup but certainly think it could be if you substitute Aaliyah for Christyn. So if you hear me out, this is why I think that lineup might be exceptional. It gives you at least two very good options for many skills. Two great passers (Nika and Paige), two great long range shooters (Paige and Azzi), two low post scoring options (Aaliyah and Liv at least against weaker opposition) and two players that can create their own shot (Paige and Azzi), two good rebounders (Liv and Aaliyah) and a defender at the point of attack (Nika) and a protector of the rim (Liv).

It is very hard to game-plan against a team with a great option B for just about any skill you can think of. I presume in this scenario Christyn for Nika would be the first, and a pretty early substitution with Paige going back to the point, and Christyn still getting plenty of minutes overall.
I may be wrong, but who emerged as the defender to matchup with the opposing teams best player? Christyn. Who is a better offensive player, Christyn or Nika? I think the answer to that is clearly Christyn. There is no world in my head where CW loses her spot to NM. CW is a three year starter. Either Geno goes small with NM/ or big with AE. I’d personally prefer PB, , CW, AE, ONO. With EW as first off the bench. But it will likely be PB, CW, EW, AE, and ONO with first off the bench.

Reaction Score
If Azzi's defense is above average she will start. Another consistent outside shooter will open things up for CWill for drives and the post players (hoping that ONO and AE further develop). Nika may be a better defender, but I'd take this tradeoff. As for off the bench I need to see more of them play next season, but I would think Anna, Nika, and AG are the next 3.
when you can score like can, she'd start even if she barely played defense at all......... ;)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What I like about Azzi being the point is that Azzi can flat out shoot it which Nika can't or doesn't. How many times would Nika take it into the lane and then not shoot? Azzi would unleash her deadly pull-up jumper.
Azzi is not a point guard, never played point guard in high school or internationally. The problem is your root definition of a point guard(i.e., a scorer) is far rom the role and responsibility of the point guard. A point guard's responsibilities are to quarterback the team by knowing the game plan for every player and execute it, to know where, when and how each player wants the ball and to deliver the ball appropriately, in the half court to understand each players responsibilities and to make sure they are all in position, to be able to score from long range sufficiently to prevent the defense from dropping off and have sufficient quickness to penetrate, anticipate and pass to the open player. Azzi is a 6 foot 2/3 wing whose greatest skill is deadly shooting from 12 feet out. She has a great handle and is reliable in breaking the press and penetrating for a mid-range shot. If pressed into service she could handle point for a period of time but no coach wants their scorers wasting energy by bringing the ball up court.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
So look at it this way. The team will have a total of 200 minutes of playing time each game: five players on the court X 40 minutes total.

If we assume that Paige plays 30 minutes a game, Azzi gets 20 more each game on average, Edwards, ONO, and DeBerry record 75 minutes between them, and Muhl gets 25 herself, that means that the top six players would account for 150 of the available 200 minutes between them. This assumes that Westbrook doesn't return. If we assume that Aubrey, Saylor, and Caroline each record 15 minutes, that accounts for 45 additional minutes, and 195 of the 200 available. We assume that the three will get significant playing time, because they're each highly rated, and Coach Geno will want to use them.

But that means that, should Evina return, she, Mir McLean, Piath Gabriel, and Anna Makurat would be fighting for a total of just 5 available minutes between them.

Of course, there could be other scenarios. But if the top players coming in, plus the top players who have contributed this year are given at least 15 minutes of playing time each, the remaining four would be nearly cut out. If Makurat needs 10 or more minutes, then where do they come from? Would Azzi be reduced to 10 minutes? Would Muhl's playing time be cut in half after her stellar performances starting late season? Could Evina hope to get playing time if she returns? At whose expense? This is literally a zero sum game. Thirteen talented players all vying for a share of the 200 minute pie.

Something's got to give.

Player Minutes
Paige 30
Azzi 20
Edwards 30
ONO 25
DeBerry 20
Muhl 25
Griffin 15
Poffenbarger 15
Ducharme 15
McLean
Westbrook
Makurat
Gabriel
Total 195
Total Possible 200
You are imagining a problem before it occurs. Stanford averages 11 players a game. Minutes are earned in practice. Practices are going to be intense.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I don't believe that ONO will be a starter. She hasn't proven herself in big games. Indeed, she has disappeared in big games. The front court is up in the air with DeBerry in the mix, and the two tall forwards/guards- Saylor and Caroline possible starters, or in for significant minutes.

I don't think Coach Geno will award ONO a starting position just because she started this year. He wants to return to the Final Four and finish what he started. Loyalty won't be a factor.
Knowing that Geno believes in defense first, you are going to sit the returning BEDPOY. Unless Amari has a Paige type season, that is not going to happen.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I think the majority of people in this thread are predicting Muhl to start so I'm pretty sure everyone appreciates what she brings to the table. ...

However, I don't see how Azzi Fudd isn't starting by the middle of the next season. ...
i do NOT think nika has to start, not ahead of azzi (this isn't an azzi v. niki thing, geez) or anyone else. in fact, i think this obsession with who starts is way overdone (yeah, i know the BY for some reason gets a real charge out of arguing such stuff).

my point was that people are missing nika's unique attributes -- which other teammates have shown they don't have. perhaps someone on next year's team will provide them; we know nika will and potentially a lot more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish I could bet my house that ONO will start on opening day. You cannot think that DeBerry will be better as a freshman than a senior Liv? Besides, I just don’t see Geno sitting Liv her senior year.
He has done it before.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
You guys have it all wrong. Starters will be Ono, Aaliyah, Gabriel, DeBerry and Paige. Ono, Aaliyah, Gabriel and DeBerry will be instructed to never shoot, just set screens for Paige in Geno's new "Screen-and-One" attack. Paige will play the first five minutes of every quarter and Azzi will play the second five minutes of every quarter. Both Paige and Azzi will average 40 PPG shooting threes behind four-person screens.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong, but who emerged as the defender to matchup with the opposing teams best player? Christyn. Who is a better offensive player, Christyn or Nika? I think the answer to that is clearly Christyn. There is no world in my head where CW loses her spot to NM. CW is a three year starter. Either Geno goes small with NM/ or big with AE. I’d personally prefer PB, , CW, AE, ONO. With EW as first off the bench. But it will likely be PB, CW, EW, AE, and ONO with first off the bench.
I believe your's is the majority opinion not mine, but of course I said Christyn is the better overall player and my case for Nika is based on fit. I think Paige is a better player with Nika on the floor instead of Christyn, and the same will probably be true with Azzi, and to a certain extent the bigs underneath because Nika is a very good passer. Christyn's contribution is mostly what she does directly, Nika's is more how she makes others better. Regardless Geno has a nice problem with so many good choices.

Reaction Score
Unless they improve at least 20%, I say Liv and Christyn better get ready to come off the bench. In three years, they’ve plainly demonstrated they’re not “ready for prime time” players.

The starters will be Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Azzi, and Aubrey/Mir/Caroline/Evina.
Geno has ALWAYS has given respect to upperclass players. Saying that Liv and Christyn will be benched is foolish. Geno is a master and he will never bench them because they had a couple bad games at the end of a season. Also, consider that they both know they need to work on their game and will be ready next year. LET'S NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES.. My prediction, we are going to fabulous for the next four years. Thank you very much....

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Just think, only 7 more months of "who will be the starters?" until we find out, followed by 5 months of "why isn't (fill in the blank) getting more minutes and/or starting?". Gotta love being here!!!!

Reaction Score
Assuming no roster changes:

Starters: Muhl, Paige, CW, Evina, Ono
First off bench: AE, Azzi
Next group: Ducharme, Makurat, Aubrey
Also: Mir, Piath, DeBerry, Saylor
Devils advocate.
Didn’t work this year.
Next year will be different?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Devils advocate.
Didn’t work this year.
Next year will be different?
I'm confused...28-2 and it didn't work out?
Only 2 of the starting 5 had ever been to the FF and I believe all were not expecting adversity in that game, so yes, next year will be different (I truly hope).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azzi is not a point guard, never played point guard in high school or internationally. The problem is your root definition of a point guard(i.e., a scorer) is far rom the role and responsibility of the point guard. A point guard's responsibilities are to quarterback the team by knowing the game plan for every player and execute it, to know where, when and how each player wants the ball and to deliver the ball appropriately, in the half court to understand each players responsibilities and to make sure they are all in position, to be able to score from long range sufficiently to prevent the defense from dropping off and have sufficient quickness to penetrate, anticipate and pass to the open player. Azzi is a 6 foot 2/3 wing whose greatest skill is deadly shooting from 12 feet out. She has a great handle and is reliable in breaking the press and penetrating for a mid-range shot. If pressed into service she could handle point for a period of time but no coach wants their scorers wasting energy by bringing the ball up court.
Azzi did play point with USAB.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t start Nika. Paige or Westbrook needs to be PG and I wouldn’t bring Nika off the bench first. I don’t understand the hype. One mistake last night was not letting Aubrey come off the bench first.
Azzi will replace Nika in the starting line up. Paige will return to being point guard which is her natural position. Nika will be the first guard off the bench and will spell Azzi and Paige. My only question does Liv deserve to start. I think she will, but her minutes will be limited if she doesn't perform. Cw deserves to start, and if EW returns, she will start but more minutes will be given to the freshman wing players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom