Newton is excited about joining the Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newton is excited about joining the Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he's half-right. I don't want AJ with the ball in his hands with 5 seconds on the shotclock. Too limited scoring... but I do want him initiating the offense most trips down the floor.

I'd like to see Newton and Diarra both as wing scorers and secondary ballhandlers, who can get the ball in late shot clock situations when needed.
Yeah AJ is not a legit scoring threat so most defenses will play him to pass. He has to add some kind of offense and tighten up his dribble to become the lead dog. I just don't see it even though some of you do. Does he get assists yes but that doesn't mean it is from breaking down his defender.

Reaction Score
Biggest thing for Jackson will be to greatly improve his finishing at the rim. He blows by defenders but he just hasn't shown he can finish yet in his career. Just making that leap which should definitely come will take his game to a whole new level.
I wouldn't say he blows by defenders. He normally is limited by his dribble which still isn't tight enough to really be effective in that regard. Even though RJ is slower than AJ he is able to create just a hair of separation due to a tighter dribble and using the defenders own balance against him. Using these hesitation dribbles allowed RJ to be effective. I hope AJ can learn this skill this year but I haven't seen it yet.

Reaction Score
I didn't say he didn't make assists but breaking down his defender and make a good read when the shot clock was running down wasn't one of them. He got a lot from fast breaks and passes from just above the FT line. This is not a break them down guard. He will have to improve his game big time if he wants to become that including finding an offensive game to keep the defenses guessing.
I never said he can breakdown his defender off the dribble, nor does he have to. He's going to initiate the offense a lot, same as he did last year. Pretending he won't is just being ignorant to something right in front of you

Reaction Score
I never said he can breakdown his defender off the dribble, nor does he have to. He's going to initiate the offense a lot, same as he did last year. Pretending he won't is just being ignorant to something right in front of you
I guess our definition of initiating the offense is different. I see AJ as more of Draymond Green when it comes to the offense. Yeah he can initiate the offense with some nice passes but he isn't going to be the main person looking to create offense for others.

Reaction Score
I guess our definition of initiating the offense is different. I see AJ as more of Draymond Green when it comes to the offense. Yeah he can initiate the offense with some nice passes but he isn't going to be the main person looking to create offense for others.
Yeah we just completely disagree then. I expect Jackson to have the ball in his hands a ton at the top of the key looking to initiate the offense for others, just like he did all last year

Reaction Score
From the Hassan article, this is how the staff sees it-

“The beauty of guys like Tristen and Hass, they can play on the ball and get you into stuff, create for others, but they’re comfortable playing off the ball, letting Dre take it and create in transition, or create in the ball-screen game, where Dre is a really outstanding passer and creator, especially if he’s out on the court with four other guys who can score the ball. It’s going to create driving lanes for him, and passing options.”

Reaction Score
Yeah we just completely disagree then. I expect Jackson to have the ball in his hands a ton at the top of the key looking to initiate the offense for others, just like he did all last year
what? I thought it was RJ doing that most of the time. Just because he brings up the ball to half court doesn't mean he ran any real set plays worth much. I guess we were watching two different UCONN teams last year. I saw RJ as the main ball handler and distributor with AJ helping out as a secondary ball handler at times to allow RJ a rest. Either way he didn't run much true offense himself.

Reaction Score
what? I thought it was RJ doing that most of the time. Just because he brings up the ball to half court doesn't mean he ran any real set plays worth much. I guess we were watching two different UCONN teams last year. I saw RJ as the main ball handler and distributor with AJ helping out as a secondary ball handler at times to allow RJ a rest. Either way he didn't run much true offense himself.
Yes, he did. No idea what you were watching but it was not UConn basketball games

Reaction Score
Yes, he did. No idea what you were watching but it was not UConn basketball games
I don't think you were watching UConn as RJ was the main ball handler most of the time. I think AJ is nice athlete but I just don't much more to his game that inspires confidence that he will be the man. He is a good rebounder, passer when at the Free throw line but has almost no offensive game to speak about and his handle is still not tight. I hope he improves his game but I'm higher on Hawkins raising his game.

Reaction Score
I don't think you were watching UConn as RJ was the main ball handler most of the time. I think AJ is nice athlete but I just don't much more to his game that inspires confidence that he will be the man. He is a good rebounder, passer when at the Free throw line but has almost no offensive game to speak about and his handle is still not tight. I hope he improves his game but I'm higher on Hawkins raising his game.
RJ was definitely the one initiating the vast majority of our possessions last year. Idk how that is even a question

Reaction Score
Who was the point guard when Kemba and Bazz were together?

That's what they have to figure out. When Dre and Newt are both on the floor, who is the primary ball handler? Who acts more as a scoring guard when they are together? Who guards the opponent's point? There will be a feeling out process as Hurley figures this stuff out.

Clearly when Dre goes out, Newton is the point. When Newton is out, Dre is the point.
Newton is the point guard, jackson will share PG duties, but the backup PG will be Hassan

Reaction Score
Regarding AJ, people tend to forget that players are not a finished product and can show drastic improvement from year to year. I suspect that will be the case both ball handling and putting the ball in the hole with AJ this year.
Give me some names of UConn players who have drastically improved from one year to the next? And AJ has to improve dramatically on his outside shot and his ability to take the ball with his dribble all of the way to the hoop. Both are fundemental offensive skills that he has yet to develop going into his junior year. A real lot to hope for. The best chance of the two is improving his penetrating all of the way to the hoop. In recent videos, his release point on his J is still very low.

Reaction Score
Give me some names of UConn players who have drastically improved from one year to the next? And AJ has to improve dramatically on his outside shot and his ability to take the ball with his dribble all of the way to the hoop. Both are fundemental offensive skills that he has yet to develop going into his junior year. A real lot to hope for. The best chance of the two is improving his penetrating all of the way to the hoop. In recent videos, his release point on his J is still very low.
There have been a few, and this is just off the top of my head since I started watching

Isaiah Whaley sophomore to junior year
Adama Sanogo freshman to sophomore year
Josh Carlton freshman to sophomore year
Christian Vital freshman to sophomore year
Jalen Adams freshman to sophomore year
Kentan Facey junior to senior year
Niels Giffey junior to senior year
DeAndre Daniels freshman to sophomore year

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
it’s true, players don’t change. No reason not to roll fifth graders out there because they are who they are.

Reaction Score
The boneyard is much more stuck on positions than the rest of the modern basketball world. Who cares? They can all handle the ball and drive. We have massive amounts of versatility. The name of your “position” really doesn’t matter. There’s 2 positions, guards and forwards. And most modern offenses typically deploy 3-4 guards on the floor at a time. The End.

Reaction Score
AJ… from his freshman year to his sophomore year shooting 3 pointers

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Well, damn!

Reaction Score
Even if RJ handled the ball 75% of the time whatever was left was mostly jackson by the end of the year. He will initiate the offense a good amount this year even if you don’t remember him doing it last year. In my opinion he was pretty good at driving and penetrating through a defense but he almost exclusively looked to pass rarely looked to finish. His mentality I think needs to change a bit and he can be a guy who set people up for east basket once he works out his issues at the rim. As he stated he’s working on finishing at the rim this year.

Reaction Score
Dre seems to be the leader of this team at this point. Incoming players talk about him like they’ve talked about Rese & RJ the last 2 years
Chief would agree with that. Jackson is making a big jump in terms of leadership. It is tougher for Adama, I think due to language. Ultimately, we need to put the ball in the basket. Newton should help in that regard. Still wish we had another scorer. Additionally, we have some ground to make up NIL wise if we are to continue to get the recruits we need.

Reaction Score
From the Hassan article, this is how the staff sees it-

“The beauty of guys like Tristen and Hass, they can play on the ball and get you into stuff, create for others, but they’re comfortable playing off the ball, letting Dre take it and create in transition, or create in the ball-screen game, where Dre is a really outstanding passer and creator, especially if he’s out on the court with four other guys who can score the ball. It’s going to create driving lanes for him, and passing options.”
I hope you are right, but to create all these wonderful driving and passing lanes, ultimately you need to be able to shoot or the spacing all breaks down. We lost 2 of our 3 best shooters (RJ and Tyres), Chief can see Newton fill one of those voids, yet I still struggle with who the other guy will be. Chief is hoping Karaban makes the progress and gets the time, I do like his stroke. Will he be held back by other things? And can we afford to do that, given our shooting woes?

Reaction Score
The release point doesn’t matter. Steph Curry shoots from down low. That’s why his range is so deep. Kids are often being taught to shoot that way now.

The issue is simply that AJ’s shot is a bit of a mangled mess. Still, he improved quite a bit in a year and he’s working hard at it again. I can see his percentages from outside improving yet again. His biggest issue is in fact scoring around the rim. He was completely inept at making a move to the hoop and finishing. That’s the most critical issue to fix.

Reaction Score
The release point doesn’t matter. Steph Curry shoots from down low. That’s why his range is so deep. Kids are often being taught to shoot that way now.

The issue is simply that AJ’s shot is a bit of a mangled mess. Still, he improved quite a bit in a year and he’s working hard at it again. I can see his percentages from outside improving yet again. His biggest issue is in fact scoring around the rim. He was completely inept at making a move to the hoop and finishing. That’s the most critical issue to fix.

Set point =/= release point fwiw. Steph has a perfect release point and a super smooth shot. Hence the "best shooter of all time" thing. Jackson grips the ball funny and has no balance and smoothness. Shot is super janky and slow

Reaction Score
Set point =/= release point fwiw. Steph has a perfect release point and a super smooth shot. Hence the "best shooter of all time" thing. Jackson grips the ball funny and has no balance and smoothness. Shot is super janky and slow
Steph releases the ball from anywhere he wants, stomach, chest etc. His skill is more about feel than mechanics. Lots of guys have perfect mechanics. He just tosses the ball at the hoop any old way he wants and it goes in. That’s why he’s a freak with trick shots.

AJ’s shot is a mess but worrying about where he releases it isn’t the half of it. It’s all the other problems, some of which you cited that matter. Still, he shot open 3’s ok last season and if he better this coming season, that’s great. He isn’t going to be a great shooter but if he can make you pay for backing off him, that will help. His biggest problem is scoring on the drive IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom