Newton is excited about joining the Huskies | The Boneyard

Newton is excited about joining the Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From yesterday's media session.

"Andre was the first one to reach out to me," Newton said. "As soon as he saw my visit was set, he was the first one to reach out to me," Newton said. "He wanted to get in the gym the same night that I was in town. I love that about him and the rest of the team. Their work ethic is crazy. They're going to push me, too, to be better."

Alternate free link:

Reaction Score
From yesterday's media session.

"Andre was the first one to reach out to me," Newton said. "As soon as he saw my visit was set, he was the first one to reach out to me," Newton said. "He wanted to get in the gym the same night that I was in town. I love that about him and the rest of the team. Their work ethic is crazy. They're going to push me, too, to be better."

Alternate free link:

Good article! Thx for posting!

GO HUSKIES!

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Dre seems to be the leader of this team at this point. Incoming players talk about him like they’ve talked about Rese & RJ the last 2 years
Yeah. That’s the impression I’m getting. He seems to always be on campus too.

Reaction Score
A little puzzled by the line, "As far as his role, Newton's not sure yet."

You'd think Newton would be absolutely clear on his role -- he is coming in to be the starting point guard, which is to say, the primary ball handler and principal distributor. That is his role. It is his job to run the offense, which includes an ability to break down a pressing defense. We are looking to him to be the confident handle that was often missing last year. If not him, then who?

Reaction Score

You'd think Newton would be absolutely clear on his role -- he is coming in to be the starting point guard, which is to say, the primary ball handler and principal distributor. That is his role. It is his job to run the offense, which includes an ability to break down a pressing defense. We are looking to him to be the confident handle that was often missing last year. If not him, then who?
If you've paid any attention to Andre Jackson during his 2 years here you would know the answer. Jackson is going to have the ball in his hands a ton running the offense, just like he did last year.

You are correct that he's going to be the starting PG, but that's a very vague definition these days. There's a ton of different ways PGs can play and that's going to depend a ton on who the 5th starter is and how all these pieces end up meshing together

Reaction Score
If you've paid any attention to Andre Jackson during his 2 years here you would know the answer. Jackson is going to have the ball in his hands a ton running the offense, just like he did last year.

You are correct that he's going to be the starting PG, but that's a very vague definition these days. There's a ton of different ways PGs can play and that's going to depend a ton on who the 5th starter is and how all these pieces end up meshing together
I'm a big Jackson fan, but nothing he showed last year suggests that he is ready to step in as the "confident handle" this team needs. And as for having "dual" or "multiple" play-makers, it sounds more like something to be avoided than wished for. Better to have one general on the floor at a time. Two generals rarely "mesh" well.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Jackson fan, but nothing he showed last year suggests that he is ready to step in as the "confident handle" this team needs. And as for having "dual" or "multiple" play-makers, it sounds more like something to be avoided than wished for. Better to have one general on the floor at a time. Two generals rarely "mesh" well.
There's so many issues and objectively wrong statements in the first few sentences but I'm just going to ignore those. You as a UConn fan can't seriously be suggesting 2 PGs don't work together can you? Have you slept through our championship seasons?

Reaction Score
Another article on Newton.

“I knew what they were losing and what they needed,” he said. “What I bring to the table is what they need. What I needed was here. The style of play, the players are tough, the coach, the facility and just everything really.”

Alternate free link:

After trying on UConn for just a brief time, newcomer Tristen Newton finds Huskies a perfect fit

Reaction Score

Nah AJ is going to be closer from the foul line in this year. He will only be a secondary ball handler. He can't break anyone down to save his life and is not a legit scoring option off the dribble to keep the defense honest.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
eek this post isn't going to play well in the sandbox

Reaction Score
All the articles on Newton are interesting and provide tidbits. I appreciate the beat writers delivering content, but when a player almost leads the nation in a positive statistical category, isn't that worth a mention? I haven't verified the Boneyard information, but it was reported here before his commitment that Newton had the second most FT attempts of all ncaa players last year and shot 87% from the line. Assuming that is accurate, (like most Boneyard info), I think that info would be important to readers to contemplate what he brings to the team.

Reaction Score
All the articles on Newton are interesting and provide tidbits. I appreciate the beat writers delivering content, but when a player almost leads the nation in a positive statistical category, isn't that worth a mention? I haven't verified the Boneyard information, but it was reported here before his commitment that Newton had the second most FT attempts of all ncaa players last year and shot 87% from the line. Assuming that is accurate, (like most Boneyard info), I think that info would be important to readers to contemplate what he brings to the team.
Not accurate, he did shoot 87% (87.9% actually), but he had 173 FTAs which was tied for 64th in the country. He was 2nd in the AAC in FTAs though

Reaction Score

Who was the point guard when Kemba and Bazz were together?

That's what they have to figure out. When Dre and Newt are both on the floor, who is the primary ball handler? Who acts more as a scoring guard when they are together? Who guards the opponent's point? There will be a feeling out process as Hurley figures this stuff out.

Clearly when Dre goes out, Newton is the point. When Newton is out, Dre is the point.

Reaction Score
Who was the point guard when Kemba and Bazz were together?

That's what they have to figure out. When Dre and Newt are both on the floor, who is the primary ball handler? Who acts more as a scoring guard when they are together? Who guards the opponent's point? There will be a feeling out process as Hurley figures this stuff out.

Clearly when Dre goes out, Newton is the point. When Newton is out, Dre is the point.
Newt hopefully will be as Andre is not someone to worry the offense. I mean it was obvious last year it was RJ trying to breakdown defenses and either pass or score when the shot clock is rolling down. Do we really think AJ will have this ability when he showed close to nothing on doing this last year? I see Newt in more of the RJ Cole role this year. Yeah AJ will help with ball handling but he won't be the guy with the ball in his hands when we need that playmaker to create for other or himself. Sorry that isn't AJ's game now or probably ever.

Reaction Score
Newt hopefully will be as Andre is not someone to worry the offense. I mean it was obvious last year it was RJ trying to breakdown defenses and either pass or score when the shot clock is rolling down. Do we really think AJ will have this ability when he showed close to nothing on doing this last year? I see Newt in more of the RJ Cole role this year. Yeah AJ will help with ball handling but he won't be the guy with the ball in his hands when we need that playmaker to create for other or himself. Sorry that isn't AJ's game now or probably ever.
You're just dead wrong on this, AJ was creating for others the whole second half of the season. All you have to do is look at his stats and you can see the number of assists he had

Reaction Score
You're just dead wrong on this, AJ was creating for others the whole second half of the season. All you have to do is look at his stats and you can see the number of assists he had

I think he's half-right. I don't want AJ with the ball in his hands with 5 seconds on the shotclock. Too limited scoring... but I do want him initiating the offense most trips down the floor.

I'd like to see Newton and Diarra both as wing scorers and secondary ballhandlers, who can get the ball in late shot clock situations when needed.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Not accurate, he did shoot 87% (87.9% actually), but he had 173 FTAs which was tied for 64th in the country. He was 2nd in the AAC in FTAs though
That % puts him right up there with the legendary comment by Squid when they asked why he didn't foul Uconn in the last minute of the NCAA tournament: "because those guys don't miss."

Reaction Score
And a 3rd article on Newton. He must have been a popular guy at the media session on Wednesday.

“I look up at these walls every day — all the All-Americans, all the lottery picks,” Newton said. “And I want to be there one day.”

Alternate free link:

UConn men’s basketball transfer Tristen Newton inspired by Husky greats: ‘I want to be there one day’

Reaction Score
I think he's half-right. I don't want AJ with the ball in his hands with 5 seconds on the shotclock. Too limited scoring... but I do want him initiating the offense most trips down the floor.

I'd like to see Newton and Diarra both as wing scorers and secondary ballhandlers, who can get the ball in late shot clock situations when needed.
Biggest thing for Jackson will be to greatly improve his finishing at the rim. He blows by defenders but he just hasn't shown he can finish yet in his career. Just making that leap which should definitely come will take his game to a whole new level.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
“At ECU, I was good,” he said. “I feel like here, I could be a lot better with actual player development and a lot of coaches that care, and a lot of work in the gym.” Lol ouch
Lmao tough look for ECU. And huge if true.

Reaction Score
I didn't say he didn't make assists but breaking down his defender and make a good read when the shot clock was running down wasn't one of them. He got a lot from fast breaks and passes from just above the FT line. This is not a break them down guard. He will have to improve his game big time if he wants to become that including finding an offensive game to keep the defenses guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom